One of my all time favourite foods is raw salmon. Like last meal on earth kind of favourite. Smoked salmon also falls into this category so when Huon Aquaculture contacted me and asked if I would like try out their Reserve Selection salmon range and create a recipe, of course I said yes!
The most common way I like to eat my smoked salmon is on a good quality piece of toasted bread and a slathering of cream cheese. I also love smoked salmon with potato and avocado. When I feel like a fancy breakfast at home, I’ll make 60 degree slow cooked eggs and crispy hash browns to have with smoked salmon and half an avocado.
Huon salmon Reserve Selection Banquet Slice smoked salmon on home made crusty bread
Reserve Selection is top notch quality smoked salmon. The salmon is raised stress free, with sustainable practices in the pristine, cool waters of Tasmania and I think this is evident in the final product. The cold smoked salmon looked so fresh and was beautifully presented. I hate the grey part from under the skin that is often left on smoked salmon and I always cut it out, but I was glad to see the Banquet Selection smoked salmon was free of this. The smoked salmon had a nice hint of smokiness and wasn’t too salty.
Perfect looking smoked salmon
I also got some beautiful Huon Reserve Selection hand milked salmon caviar. I love the delightful, salty pop in the mouth of salmon caviar. It’s not something I have often so I savour it when I do! The jar says to use within 3 days so it’s quite a lot unless you are entertaining a large crowd.
Reserve Selection hand milked caviar, orange pearls of gold!
I used both products to make a smoked salmon, avocado and tobiko stack sitting on a potato rosti and topped with some salmon caviar. It makes a great entrée or a fancy, light lunch.
Smoked salmon tartare on a potato rosti
3 medium sized waxy potatoes
60g butter, melted
Salt & pepper, to taste
Oil for frying
1. Par-boil potatoes until they are still firm but no longer raw (around 10-15mins).
2. Shred potatoes into a medium bowl.
3. Add melted butter and season with salt and pepper to your liking, keeping in mind smoked salmon is already salty.
4. Using your hands, form into small, tight patties.
5. Pan fry or deep fry until crispy and golden brown. Deep frying will produce better results, but I pan fried them.
Smoked salmon tartare
200g smoked salmon, chopped into short, thin strips
1 ripe avocado, cut into small cubes
2 tsp Tobiko (flying fish roe), optional
Salmon caviar, optional
1. Mix in a bowl the chopped smoked salmon, cubed avocado, tobiko if using with enough kewpie mayonnaise to coat.
2. Put salmon mixture into a small food ring on top of the potato rosti and remove ring to create a neat stack.
3. Top with a teaspoon of salmon caviar.
You can order Huon Reserve Selection products online at http://shop.huonaqua.com.au/ and orders over $75 receive free shipping. Reserve Selection products are produced to individual orders and are packed into thermally insulated shipping boxes.
Over & Out, April xx
Salmon products were complimentary thanks to Huon Aquaculture.