Long Beach Restaurant Singapore - Chilli Crab

by April@MyFoodTrail on July 6, 2012

in Chinese, Dining Out, Singapore, Singapore

Long Beach Main Branch
Next to ECP Burger King
1018 East Coast Parkway, Singapore
PH: +65 6445 8833

Besides all the delicious hawker food, another thing on our list to eat while in Singapore was chilli crab. There are renditions of Singapore chilli crab here in Melbourne, but while good in their own way, they don’t match how it is in Singapore.

There are many famous restaurants in Singapore serving chilli crab, but Long Beach Seafood Restaurant will always be our first choice. Not only do they do a fantastic chilli crab, that’s also the place where we had dinner before hubby proposed under the stars at the beach! We returned to Long Beach Restaurant almost 5 years to the day that we got engaged. Not exactly planned, but a nice aligning of the stars!

Every Singaporean probably has their own expectations of a good chilli crab sauce. To me, a good chilli crab sauce needs to be very tomatoey, sweet and salty with a balance of spicy. It should also have lots of egg through it and not be too spicy that I can’t enjoy the flavour.

Currently there are five branches of Long Beach Restaurant in Singapore. We went to the Main branch which is located on East Coast Parkway next to the Burger King. It’s not walking distance from any MRT station, but you can catch the MRT to Eunos station, and then catch a taxi. A taxi costs around SGD $6 ($4.80 AUD). It was raining outside so I missed taking a photo of the outside of the restaurant. The restaurant is quite large so we didn’t need to make a booking when we went on a weeknight.

Inside there are large tanks with a variety of live seafood but we were there for the crab.

Long Beach Restaurant Singapore - Live Seafood tanks

Tanks of live seafood

There was a seafood called geoduck. To me it looks like a massive *ahem*. Haha! Apparently a lot of people enjoy it!

Long Beach Restaurant Singapore - Geoduck

Geoduck

We started with an entrée of deep fried scallops in mini yam rings. Juicy scallops are wrapped in a yam (taro) ring and then deep fried. There is a dollop of a creamy sauce and flying fish roe is sprinkled on top for decoration. This is a must try dish!

Long Beach Restaurant Singapore - Deep fried scallops in mini yam rings

Deep fried scallops in mini yam rings

Hubby and I love our crabs, so we already knew we would order two. Long Beach Restaurant is famous for their black pepper crab but I don’t like a strong pepper flavour, so we opted for a chilli crab and a salted egg yolk crab. The crabs were $50 per kg and the smallest size is around 1kg.

The chilli crab was just as good as I remembered. The sauce was thick with egg, and tasty with a chilli kick and strong tomato flavour. You have to order the deep fried mantou (steamed fluffy bread) to dip into the excess sauce. So, so good!

Long Beach Restaurant Singapore - Singapore Chilli Crab

Chilli crab

The other crab we got was the salted egg yolk crab. It is a dry style crab with no sauce. While the salted egg yolk crab was finger licking good at the start and we had a good time licking the shells clean, towards the end we felt it was too rich. If you only order one crab, I would recommend going with the chilli crab.

Long Beach Restaurant Singapore - Salted egg yolk crab

Salted egg yolk crab

I forgot to tell the waiter when we ordered that we would like the crab to come one at a time so we could finish one before the next one came out. I told him after, but it mustn’t have been communicated to the kitchen because the crabs were brought to our table pretty much at the same time. We like to enjoy our crab and therefore eat quite slow so unfortunately they were cold towards the end of our meal. Remember to tell the waiter to bring them out one at a time if you order more than one crab.

We happily satisfied our chilli crab craving at Long Beach and it was lovely returning and reliving the memories from hubby’s proposal. Do you have a romantic proposal story you want to share? 🙂

Sophie July 6, 2012 at 9:24 pm

Argh, I want chilli crabs now. Mmmm. Time to go back to Singapore 😀

April@MyFoodTrail July 6, 2012 at 9:34 pm

I’ve got myself craving chilli crab again now too 🙂

Sarah July 7, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Hahahaha Geoducks! My family refer to them as the “clam with the appendage”. LOL.

April@MyFoodTrail July 15, 2012 at 8:24 pm

Hahaha, clam with appendage! Hahaha, glad I’m not the only one!!

Hannah July 7, 2012 at 1:53 pm

That’s a shame about the cold crab, but it does look magnificent! I wonder why it is that plain hardboiled eggs give me the shivers, but the idea of salted egg yolk is glorious…

April@MyFoodTrail July 15, 2012 at 8:25 pm

It truly is glorious and really tasty, though rich. Have you not tried it before? If not, you need to do it ASAP!

Vien July 7, 2012 at 7:24 pm

For me, the best part about chilli crab’s the deep-fried mantou!! 😀 awww… what nice memories you have at this place!

April@MyFoodTrail July 15, 2012 at 8:27 pm

High 5! I think the deep fried mantou completes the chilli crab meal!

GourmetGetaways July 7, 2012 at 10:35 pm

WOW! What delicious looking food! I would love to try the scallops in yam rings, mmm, sounds so good and looks very special 🙂

April@MyFoodTrail July 15, 2012 at 8:28 pm

It’s not something I see often at Chinese restaurants in Australia, although at some more authentic Malaysian places, you can find the deep fried yam rings, normally filled with chicken or vegetables, much like the “bird’s nest” or potato basket.

Winston July 8, 2012 at 1:05 am

Omg!!! Chilli Crab + Fried Mantou… BESTTTT!!! You’re really making me miss Singapore badly. Really is iconic and I’m glad to be seeing this post again. Even seeing the eggs in the sauce gets me excited LOL

April@MyFoodTrail July 15, 2012 at 8:29 pm

You are making me miss good Asian food with all those pictures you keep posting of your food back home!!

Tina @ bitemeshowme July 9, 2012 at 9:54 am

I love chilli crab in singapore, it’s so good. I’ve only tried Jumbo’s and I highly rate it. The only downside is that they didn’t give enough sweet buns to eat with the crab! Haha. I’m very used to getting bread rolls so that you can dip with the excess sauce….

April@MyFoodTrail July 15, 2012 at 8:34 pm

You just have to order more of those buns. I like to use the buns to mop up all that sauce rather than have the noodles like they do with crabs here in Australia.

Agnes July 18, 2012 at 10:47 am

AWWWWWWWWWWWWW. How romantical. 🙂

I’ve always wanted to try geoduck – I wonder if it’s any good. They do look weird though, hehe.

April@MyFoodTrail August 2, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Apparently geoduck can be quite tough if overcooked. I’ve never seen it served in Australia, only in Asia.

Thanh August 1, 2012 at 8:04 am

That’s definitely on my list when I’m next there. Crab is my favourite thing. And how romantic is L. Proposing at a crab restaurant, win.

April@MyFoodTrail August 2, 2012 at 8:52 pm

Well, he didn’t actually propose at the restaurant but we did have a nice crab dinner beforehand.