My Food Trail is going to Singapore, Hong Kong & Taiwan!

by April@MyFoodTrail on April 17, 2012

in Travel

Hubby and I are very excited about our holiday to Singapore, Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan next month, and we are in the midst of planning where to stay, visit and eat.

What better way to build an itinerary of places than to ask my wonderful readers for their inside tips!

We will be staying with my very dear friends in Singapore, but hotels in all other places. We want somewhere in a good location, but reasonably priced and so long as it’s clean, I don’t mind about the size. What are the locations in Hong Kong and Taiwan you think we should stay?

We want to eat all kinds of food, from street food, local places and high end dining. What restaurants must we visit? What food shouldn’t we miss?

What tourist attractions are must see? What should I avoid?

I would appreciate any first hand information you can provide or any links you want to share.

I have to say a big thank you to Daisy for taking the time to email me all her fantastic tips already!

Vien @ We Dare Food April 17, 2012 at 12:24 pm

How exciting!! :D hehe Here are my must visits whenever I’m in those countries!
Hong Kong:
- Australia Diary Company (for their glorious scrambled eggs and milk pudding)
- Mido Cafe (if you want old style char chan teng)
- Tim Ho Wan (best dim sum I’ve had so far…)
- random food stalls and egg waffles along Lady’s Market st.
Singapore:
- Teochew Handmade Pau (for their kong bak pau & tai pau)
- Mellben (chilli crab, butter crab and crab mee hoon!)
Macau:
- Lord Stow’s Egg tarts
- Cafe Tai Lei Loi Kei (for PORK CHOP BUNS!)
** This isn’t all but my brain’s freezing up! hehe

April@MyFoodTrail April 17, 2012 at 4:41 pm

Thanks for the suggestions so far. If you think of any more, please let me know! I will be adding these to my list.

Liz April 17, 2012 at 12:43 pm

I’m going to SG next month too! Was fighting between HK and Taiwan for the next destination but decided to do another dive trip in Indonesia :)
Being away from SG for so long, I need tips and places to eat as well. But I will stick to hawker center and coffeeshop this time. I wasn’t impressed with the high end restaurant during the last trip.

April@MyFoodTrail April 17, 2012 at 4:43 pm

We should meet up if we have time! I haven’t been to Singapore for about 5 years, so I have no idea about the best places to eat now. In Singapore, I would much rather the hawker food but I think I’ll need to mix it up with airconditioned places as hubby is not too good with the heat!

Liz April 17, 2012 at 8:45 pm

We aren’t a huge fan of the heat and humidity anymore! Take days to try adapt to it. Food court is the other alternative, slightly more expensive but food still pretty decent. If you are shopping at Orchard Road, maybe you can try Republic FoodCourt and the top level of Wisma Atrium.

April@MyFoodTrail April 18, 2012 at 3:27 pm

Yeah, hubby was saying, even food court places will be better than any Singaporean food we can get here in Melbourne!

I have been told to save my shopping for HK cos it will be cheaper.

Iron Chef Shellie April 17, 2012 at 12:55 pm

How exciting! Sadly I can not offer any advice, it’s been way too long since I was in Singapore, and haven’t been to the other places!

April@MyFoodTrail April 17, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Well, maybe this list will inspire you to go :)

Michelle April 17, 2012 at 1:41 pm

Hong Kong:

-Cuisine Cuisine at Mira Hotel TST – Peking Duck and Yum Cha is a must! Desserts there are good. BEST DIM SUM EVER. HAD TO GO THERE TWICE. No need to queue up like Tim Ho Wan but it really is up to you. :D
-A visit to Sai Kung is a must. I liked the restaurant that I went – Loaf On. Not sure if it is still that good but you should check with openrice!
-I think a visit to Caprice is a must but you should really book. Amber is not bad too!
-Afternoon tea at Cafe 103, Ritz Carlton (Afternoon teas in Melbourne are so expensive! You deserve a swanky, upscale afternoon tea at the 103th floor!)
-Egg tarts at Tai Cheong bakery at Central
-Scrambled Eggs and Milk Tea at Tsui Wah, Wellington St
-Char siu at Kam Wah restaurant, near central
-Yat Lok roast goose leg with noodles. Lots of locals vouch for it. Forget about Yung Kee, head here instead
-Mak Un Kee wonton noodles. Service is poor and portions are small but the wontons are good and noodles are mighty awesome.
-Polo bun at Kam Wah cafe. You’d be silly to miss this space!

I hope you find these tips helpful! :D

April@MyFoodTrail April 17, 2012 at 4:45 pm

Thanks for taking the time to comment Michelle! I will be looking through your blog too for ideas! :) Thanks for the recommendations outside what are tourist eateries. I saw your post about how most of the good reviews on Openrice is in Chinese… unfortunately I can’t read Chinese, so have to rely on the English version :(

Celeste @ Berrytravels April 17, 2012 at 2:18 pm

Which part of Taiwan you going to? Taipei? or other places? If it’s Taipei, I have a long long list of must go / eat / see!

April@MyFoodTrail April 17, 2012 at 4:45 pm

We are just going to Taipei. I would love to see your list please! :)

Celeste @ Berrytravels April 17, 2012 at 6:06 pm

I’ll email it – it will most likely involve a lot of ravings and ramblings too! (I loved my time in Taipei and am hoping to go back end of year!)

April@MyFoodTrail April 18, 2012 at 3:28 pm

Thanks so, so much for the effort to send me the email! Really appreciate it!

Indie April 17, 2012 at 5:13 pm

I’ll let Celeste give you the list for Taipei. I was born there and I love it but it’s easy to get around because of the metro and most travellers can find the good spots now.

However, I really have to suggest that you pop over to Taichung on the high speed rail for even like a day! Because the BEST night market for food in Taiwan and anywhere in Asia (or at least out of the 10 countries in Asia I’ve visited) is in Taichung.. in my opinion. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fengjia_Night_Market

It’s amazing! If you find the food areas they go as far as the eye can see almost, and so much variety. Often you go to food markets and every stall is selling the same 4 or 5 things… not so here. https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/216485_10150164946021319_527766318_7163449_5612449_n.jpg

April@MyFoodTrail April 17, 2012 at 5:45 pm

Thanks for the suggestions! If it’s not too much trouble, I would like to see some of your suggestions for Taipei too! I’m also interested in the places locals go and local tips, rather than just the tourist places.

Indie April 17, 2012 at 9:07 pm

I grew up in New Zealand so I’m not really a local of Taipei, and whenever I’ve gone back it’s been as a semi-tourist even though I know the general city layout and the language. Taichung is where most of my relatives are so I know it a wee bit more intimately.

In Taipei, everyone knows about the Shi Lin night market.. it’s good and I agree, but not as good as Feng Jia and a tiny bit touristy. Don’t bother going to Taipei 101, especially not the shopping centre under it, it’s pretty boring!

I suggest taking the MRT to random stops and walking around the older neighbourhoods to get a good idea of the culture. It’s quite interesting because Taipei is now a very economically powerful, international city with an interesting skyline and first world transport etc, but some of the neighbourhoods are exactly the same as they were in the 50s. There would be where you would find the little local morning markets where you wake up and buy your breakfast as well as your day’s groceries. These markets exist in practically every neighbourhood, no tourists to be seen – get yourself some hot sweetened rice milk (much better than it sounds) and eat whatever the locals are ordering.

Take the MRT to Danshuei (I think it’s the end of the Danshuei line), it’s a cute little seaside town which is like a university town.

Go to the original SOGO (not to be confused with the new one across the road) before opening time. One of my earliest memories was watching the cuckoo clock play “it’s a small world” and entering the store with my mum and all the impeccably dressed ladies welcoming us. It’s kind of like a Little Tokyo experience. And the clock is cute..

Even more like Tokyo and its nightlife is the Ximending district.. a big entertainment district with movies, nightclubs, restaurants, bars, late night shopping etc – a bit of a young scene but worth a brief checking-out if you have time.

If you have 4 or more days, you could take a day trip to “Yangmingshan” – it’s beautiful. Google it :)

You’re so lucky you are going to Taiwan. I’ve been to Hong Kong and Singapore and LOVE them both, but Taiwan has the best food in Asia and is also the least touristy of the three :)

Oh, when in Singapore, go to a place called Sakunthala’s Food Palace in the Little India district! SO GOOD!

For Hong Kong, spend more time in Kowloon than on Hong Kong Island – it’s so much more interesting and culturally rich!! Take a daytrip to Macau if you have time – so interesting with it’s European/Portuguese influences, especially the way the streets look (all paved/cobbled) and some of the architecture.

If you want to save money, I would look on Hostelworld when in Hong Kong and Taiwan. Look for friendly people who rent sets of private apartments out for half the price of a hotel and twice the price of a hostel dorm… you end up living in a building with locals, it’s very cool, and as private as a hotel room (just with no room service or cleaning until you leave) and much cheaper..

Celeste @ Berrytravels April 18, 2012 at 10:43 am

Just poking my head in and being nosy, Shilin has moved to a new location and the food stalls are now in an underground basement with no ventilation. Lots of locals are complaining, the steam and smoke from cooking is everywhere and the heat overwhelming. While the food is Shilin is good, you can most definitely get the equal or better stuff in other nightmarkets without having to go through the crowds in a squeezy location.

Indie April 18, 2012 at 10:46 am

The crowds are part of the experience! And the stalls that sit in the middle of the street.. once the police came and they ran away so quickly, it was pretty hilarious!
But I had no idea they’d moved.. really? I was only there less than a year ago!

Celeste @ Berrytravels April 18, 2012 at 11:40 am

Yeah, they moved in December. I agree, watching the running stalls is quite the sight. Though if April ends up skipping on Shilin, the same running stalls sight can be seen at Ximending.

As for crowds, there’s crowds everywhere! XD

Indie April 18, 2012 at 10:49 am

I definitely do agree that smaller, local markets have more charm and the food is usually just as good.

April@MyFoodTrail April 18, 2012 at 3:31 pm

I’m thinking of staying in Ximending so will check out the night markets there and also look at the other suggestions, thanks!

April@MyFoodTrail April 18, 2012 at 3:30 pm

Thanks so much to take the time to tell me your suggestions! I was thinking I should probably just get off at random train stops if I have time to explore. I need to get myself a 3G card for my phone so I can access Google Maps!

Indie April 17, 2012 at 9:16 pm

In Hong Kong, Repulse Bay is kind of a expat area which is boring EXCEPT for the fact that there are some gorgeous temples and religious sculptures pretty much right on the beach!

April@MyFoodTrail April 18, 2012 at 3:32 pm

Will see if I can fit in a trip to Repulse Bay. I have to sit down on the weekend and plan my itinerary carefully!

Daisy@Nevertoosweet April 18, 2012 at 3:15 am

You’re very welcome April :) really hope my tips and hints helped you! Glad others have given you more ideas on food ~ Hope you have an AMAZING TRIP!

April@MyFoodTrail April 18, 2012 at 3:33 pm

Thanks so much Daisy! :)

Indie April 18, 2012 at 3:46 pm

Have a good trip!

Em April 18, 2012 at 4:34 pm

Hi April,
I just got back from Hong Kong on Saturday. I will message you with my thoughts. I have a sneak peak at Hong Kong post up on my blog to give you an idea of all the wonderful food we ate.
Em

April@MyFoodTrail April 20, 2012 at 1:40 pm

Thanks so much for taking the time to email me!

Rita (mademoiselle délicieuse) April 18, 2012 at 9:21 pm

I look forward to lots of eating posts from your travels! How long will you be away?

April@MyFoodTrail May 1, 2012 at 10:23 am

Haha, your comment ended up in my spam folder. Good thing I checked!

I’m going for about 3 weeks in total. I’ll be looking through your blog for ideas for Hong Kong since you recently went!

Singapore Food Trail April 20, 2012 at 11:45 am

Do visit us at the Singapore Food Trail and enjoy your stay in Singapore!

April@MyFoodTrail April 20, 2012 at 1:40 pm

Thanks!

msihua April 20, 2012 at 11:32 pm

Iggy’s? Go to Atria and Food Republic for the air codition hawker food court.. :) Love the Prawn noodles there! Just look for the store with the longest line!

April@MyFoodTrail May 1, 2012 at 10:25 am

Yeah, I’ve been given a good tip… when you see a queue, join it! :)

I’m undecided about Iggy’s. According to San Pellegrino Awards, they are the best restaurant in Asia, but I really want to go to Singapore for the hawker food!

Indie April 23, 2012 at 5:12 pm
April@MyFoodTrail May 1, 2012 at 10:25 am

Thanks for the link, I’m going to be reading through Celeste’s blog! :)

Winston April 23, 2012 at 11:42 pm

April! What an exciting trip for you and the hub! Please visit “Super Imperial Treasure Peking Duck” at the top floor of Paragon shopping mall on Orchard Road. You will LOVE their Peking duck it’s exceptional, the other dishes we had was delicious too! Think it might be a great place to go with your friends too!! Have a great trip yah!!

April@MyFoodTrail May 1, 2012 at 10:28 am

Ok, thanks for the tip Winston! My list of places to eat at is growing, but I think what I am looking most forward to is the yummy hawker food!

Adrian Briones (@food_rehab) May 7, 2012 at 1:47 pm

Aw cool! I’ve never been to any of these places so I have no idea – but just wanted to say Happy Holiday!!