Tefal Fresh Express

Tefal Fresh Express

by April@MyFoodTrail on December 19, 2011

in Kitchen Gadgets

I was recently contacted to see if I wanted to review the new Tefal Fresh Express. It was marketed to me as a funky new mini food processor that perfectly slices and grates fruit, veggies, nuts, cheese and chocolate with just a push of a button.

Tefal Fresh Express Appliance

The very funky looking Tefal Fresh Express

I’ve never owned a full sized food processor, basically because I’ve never seen the need for it. I have a small hand held stick mixer which comes with a mini food processor attachment and that has been sufficient.

I also have a mandolin that I use for slicing and grating, but since an unfortunate incident not so long ago that saw me slice a chunk of my thumb off, the mandolin has taken up a permanent home at the back of the cupboard!

I would say the Tefal Fresh Express is more like a mandolin than a mini-food processor. I think it should be marketed as an appliance that will do your slicing and grating without risking your fingers hehe! The Tefal Fresh Express comes with five multi-coloured cones that allows you choose exactly how fine or thin you would like to slice or grate your ingredients. All you need to do is feed your ingredients into the spout, and with a push of a button and in a matter of seconds, out come your shavings or slices, straight into your bowl!

Tefal Fresh Express -Barrels

Tefal Fresh Express multi-coloured cones

Instead of testing out the machine on a whole lot of random vegetables like they do at the stands at the market, I wanted to make a recipe that required a lot of grated ingredients. I immediately thought of my zucchini slice recipe which I also now add carrots to. I need to grate the zucchini, carrots, cheese and slice the onions and the ham or bacon.

Tefal Fresh Express - Vegetables

Zucchini, carrots and onion

The Tefal Fresh Express allows you to do thick slicing, fine slicing, coarse grating, fine grating and extra fine (parmesan) grating. I used the coarse grating attachment for the carrots and the zucchini.

Tefal Fresh Express - Grated zucchini

Grated zucchini

Tefal Fresh Express - Grated carrot

Grated carrot

I used the fine grating attachment for the cheese.

Tefal Fresh Express - Grated cheese

Grated cheese

I tried to use the coarse grating attachment for the onion but that didn’t work very well so there’s no photo. I used the thick slicing attachment on another occasion for onions, and that worked a little better. You can only grate or slice hard, whole ingredients so I couldn’t slice up the bacon (which can’t do with a mandolin anyway).

Zucchini slice

The finished zucchini slice

The Tefal Fresh Express was easy to use and definitely saves me time in the kitchen. I have used it multiple times since making the zucchini slice to grate carrots, zucchini, cheese and potatoes.

The Good:
– Effortlessly slices and grates ingredients in seconds, straight into a bowl
– Easy to clean
– Small size
– Easy to store as the cones all fit together securely
– No more risk of slicing my fingers!!

The Not So Good:
The spout is quite narrow (approx 5cm by 5cm) so you can’t fit in a whole onion or potato. You have to cut it into smaller pieces. A large zucchini wouldn’t be able to fit either.

The Tefal Fresh Express has a RRP of $89.95 and is available from leading department stores and electrical specialists nationwide. It would make a wonderful Christmas present for anyone who likes to cook!

April received the Tefal Fresh Express courtesy of TMTE Group

Michelle chin December 20, 2011 at 11:45 am

Does that mean it can’t grate an entire block of chocolate?

April@MyFoodTrail December 20, 2011 at 7:44 pm

It can grate a whole block but you will have to cut or break it into pieces to fit down the spout, which is about 5cm x 5cm wide.

Hannah December 20, 2011 at 6:53 pm

The “easy to clean” part is what really sits favourably with me. However, seeing as I put an actual food processor on my Christmas list, I don’t think I should be adding this to it as well 😛 Thanks for the reminder about the slice recipe, too!

April@MyFoodTrail December 20, 2011 at 7:45 pm

Here’s hoping Santa gets you a food processor for Christmas! 🙂

Winston December 21, 2011 at 4:40 pm

Oh wooow.. April, this sounds like a fantastic product! Despite its size… Personally, I don’t mind having to cut the veg into smaller chunks first because storage is really limited in my kitchen so would prefer to have them small! MAN I’ve gotta look out for this product! The colours are just so much fun too!!

April@MyFoodTrail January 4, 2012 at 2:42 pm

If you need to grate or slice things a lot, this is worthwhile getting. It’s very small and can be separated for better storage!

Flower@Nevertoosweet December 22, 2011 at 12:15 am

Yay!!! I’m so glad that you reviewed this cuz I was thinking of getting it 🙂 YAY But too bad you’ve gotta cut the fruit and veggies into smaller pieces 🙁 but seems like a great little gadget to have in the kitchen ~ but if i get this i think my parents are going to kill me hahaha

April@MyFoodTrail January 4, 2012 at 2:43 pm

It doesn’t need to be cut into TOO small pieces!

Surely your parents wouldn’t mind a cute, colourful gadget like this?! 🙂

msihua December 22, 2011 at 7:25 pm

Oooh… a save on hands and fingers mandolin!! I’m so scared of shaving my fingers off I do everything manually with a knife and slowly… 🙁

April@MyFoodTrail January 4, 2012 at 2:44 pm

If you grate or slice alot, this is really worthwhile getting. It really does take the fear of cutting your fingers away!

Ames December 23, 2011 at 7:43 am

Oh how cute! And in festive colours as well :). Sounds like it would make things a lot easier in the kitchen! Thanks for sharing :).

April@MyFoodTrail January 4, 2012 at 2:45 pm

Haha, never thought of it being in festive colours but you’re right! 🙂

Adrian (Food Rehab) December 29, 2011 at 9:07 am

Gosh, anything to save myself from grating would be good! Great write up April!

April@MyFoodTrail January 4, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Thanks Adrian! I was really impressed by how effortless and quickly it was able to grate.

Tv Food and Drink January 9, 2012 at 5:06 am

As a guy who’s a sucker for a new gadget, I loved your pics! I also love the “easy to clean” angle. Unfortunately, if I put any more appliances of any size into my kitchen, I’m either going to have to sell my cat or move into my refrigerator just to have a place to sit.

GG

April@MyFoodTrail January 20, 2012 at 9:07 am

Haha, that’s technology for you. There will be a never ending supply of kitchen gadgets, all aiming to be better than its predecessor! We need bigger kitchens!

Rita (mademoiselle délicieuse) January 15, 2012 at 10:39 am

Thanks for this review! Saw it in a department store prior to Christmas and was wondering how it worked, because it kind of looked like but didn’t look like a food processor all at the same time.

April@MyFoodTrail January 20, 2012 at 9:08 am

I don’t think it’s a “food processor” as such, but it does grate and slice like a food processor attachment!

LIz January 16, 2012 at 5:47 pm

Fantastic and helpful review! Have you used the fine grating attachment for carrots and/or cucumbers? Or do they only work well with the coarse grating attachment? Thanks in advance!

April@MyFoodTrail January 20, 2012 at 9:09 am

I haven’t tried actually. I’m going to be making zucchini slice again next week, so I will try and report back!

LIz January 20, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Can’t wait to hear how you go. Might just be the niftiest thing to make yee sang! Thanks again!

April@MyFoodTrail January 31, 2012 at 8:59 am

What a great idea to use it for yee sang! I tried it with the small hole and it works with carrots!

LIz January 31, 2012 at 11:48 am

Wow! That’s great news! Thanks for the feedback.

Aga January 17, 2012 at 2:54 pm

That actually looks good and after reading your review I’m starting to want one for myself!

April@MyFoodTrail January 20, 2012 at 9:10 am

It’s a handy little gadget and I love that it can grate and slice without me putting my fingers at risk!

Cheryl January 25, 2012 at 8:11 am

I thought “grating” meant much smaller, finer pieces….NOT longer, sliced, shoe-string looking things. I would have to add that the pictures of “grated” veggies & cheese would actually be considered “shredded” in the cooking world [and in most supermarkets’ cheese department]. Think of “grated Parmesan cheese”…..it’s all soft and powder like. Now compare to “shredded” cheese…longer and string like. So, I’d ask: Does it have the “grating” feature? ….the rough, smaller holes that make finer, tiny pieces?

April@MyFoodTrail January 31, 2012 at 9:08 am

Yes, that is true. I guess I really should be calling it shredded instead of grated. The Tefal Fresh Express does come with a “true” grating barrel which has those rough smaller holes.