Taste of Melbourne 2011 - The Millswyn Salmon

Photo Sundays: Taste of Melbourne 2011

by April@MyFoodTrail on September 18, 2011

in Food Events

Taste of Melbourne 2011 was held at the Royal Exhibition Building in Carlton over 4 days, with 6 different session times. Last year, I went on opening night (Thursday) and also for the Saturday day session. I was reading over my old posts, and realised that I tried 19 different dishes on offer over those two visits!

This year I was a lot more restrained, only going for the Friday night Taste of Melbourne session and only trying 7 different dishes (though I did order two serves of the St Katherine’s fried chicken it was that good!). I found this year’s Taste of Melbourne wasn’t as good as last years. It may be due to my choice of session time as I had a long, busy week and I was pretty tired by the time Friday night rolled round. Also I was designated driver so I didn’t have much to drink, and we all know alcohol makes these events a lot more fun!!

In previous years, our Taste of Melbourne “strategy” was to find a table with nice lighting (for my photos!) and seats, then take turns to go and get the food. The food would be then brought back to the table to be photographed and eaten, then we would give up our table and walk around visiting the other producer stalls.

This year because we went to the evening session, it was too early to eat at 5.30 so we walked around looking at the stalls and got food along the way. As a result, my photos of the food are so lousy. I had to take photos wherever I could, which mostly wasn’t at a table. I also didn’t take as many I should of!

It was still a nice night out anyway with hubby and Kat. Here are some photos I took.

Taste of Melbourne 2011 - Inside

The relative calm before the storm (crowds) – Inside the Royal Exhibition Building

Taste of Melbourne 2011 - Inside 2

The beautiful interior of the Royal Exhibition Building

Taste of Melbourne 2011 - HSBC VIP Lounge

The HSBC VIP Lounge – free entry to HSBC cardholders

Taste of Melbourne 2011 - Cheese from HSBC Lounge

Vintage cheddar that was “all you can eat” in the HSBC VIP Lounge

Taste of Melbourne 2011 - Brie from HSBC Lounge

A beautiful Le Roitelet brie that was also in the HSBC VIP Lounge

Taste of Melbourne 2011 - Libertine cassoulet

Libertine & Le Traiteur: ‘Toulouse cassoulet’ – confit duck, garlic sausage & white beans, oven baked $12
I found the duck quite dry and chewy for confit

Taste of Melbourne 2011 - Esposito barramundi

Esposito: Carpaccio of farmed Barramundi with peas, mint & wasabi sorbet $10
The description seemed a bit off since there was no peas or wasabi sorbet, but instead there was seaweed salad

Taste of Melbourne 2011 - The Millswyn beef cheeks

The Millswyn: 10 hr braised beef cheeks with beetroot, spinach & field mushrooms $12
Beef looked dry, but was meltingly soft

Taste of Melbourne 2011 - The Millswyn cured salmon

The Millswyn: Cured Regal King Salmon with picked daikon, lime & vanilla cucumber $10
The prettiest dish we had

Taste of Melbourne 2011 - Sarti suckling lamb

Sarti: Slow cooked suckling lamb, pearl barley salad & truffled pecorino $12
ARGH out of focus photo, but such tender & tasty lamb

Taste of Melbourne 2011 - The European pork parcels

The European: Western Plains pork parcels $12
It was soft pork encased in something like spring roll skin

Taste of Melbourne 2011 - Tassal salmon skewers

The Tassal stall selling beautiful moist salmon skewers $8

Taste of Melbourne 2011 - St Katherine's KFC

St Katherines: KFC ‘St Katherine’s fried Lilydale chicken’ BBQ sauce $12
My favourite dish of the night even though the batter had quite a spicy kick

penny aka jeroxie September 18, 2011 at 2:53 pm

The regal salmon from The Millswyn does look really pretty… and yes to difference view on KFC. We were not as fortunate!

April@MyFoodTrail September 18, 2011 at 5:27 pm

I think I was less fortunate with the cassoulet. I didn’t find it as good as you thought!

Iron Chef Shellie September 18, 2011 at 2:54 pm

lol you ate everything I didn’t (not including the chicken) 😛

April@MyFoodTrail September 18, 2011 at 5:28 pm

Haha, looking forward to your post to see what I missed out on!

Winston - The Hungry Excavator September 18, 2011 at 3:24 pm

Hey your piks from the event are REALLY nice… That salmon from Millswyn is such a picture of perfection, too bad I missed it when I was there! Can’t wait to go again next year, so interesting cause there’s such a nice variety of food to try mmm =)

April@MyFoodTrail September 18, 2011 at 5:30 pm

Thanks! Yeah, one good thing about Taste of Melbourne is that there are so many different dishes to try, all in the one place!

Vee @ Munching (in) Melbourne September 18, 2011 at 7:43 pm

That’s a clever idea – getting a table and parking yourself there to take pictures! But I found the lighting pretty awful everywhere, so as you can see my pictures also suffered in quality! I think yours still turned out great though! And haha I SAID the St Kat’s fried chicken was spicy and was told I’m weak! Clearly you are just AS weak 😉

April@MyFoodTrail September 25, 2011 at 11:19 am

The lighting’s much better during the day session, but it’s a lot more crowded too. Haha, it is a well known fact I am a chilli weakling. No amount of practice seems to increase my chilli tolerance… it just makes me suffer!!

Hannah September 18, 2011 at 9:01 pm

I don’t think I could’ve gone past the “all you can eat” cheese! After all, a girl needs her calcium, right?

April@MyFoodTrail September 25, 2011 at 11:19 am

Yep! I got my share of calcium that night! 🙂

Thanh September 18, 2011 at 11:13 pm

April and Vee, you’re both weak 🙂 The chicken wasn’t spicy at all.

April@MyFoodTrail September 25, 2011 at 11:20 am

Show off! Yes, we know you are the king of spicy 🙂

mademoiselle délicieuse September 19, 2011 at 12:13 pm

I love how the Melbourne and Sydney version offer the same concepts, but the Melbourne one is so much prettier being inside the Royal Exhibition Building. They Sydney one is sprawled across a section of a large park and is open to the elements!

April@MyFoodTrail September 25, 2011 at 11:21 am

We’re lucky that Taste of Melbourne is indoors and protected from the elements. I can’t imagine what would happen if it was a miserable rainy and windy day at the Sydney one?!

Agnes September 21, 2011 at 9:44 pm

Hah, you’re the third person I know who went back for a second serve of the chicken 😀

Bianca @ The Cooking Capers September 22, 2011 at 7:18 pm

Am I included in that!? 😛 I had a second serve as well 😉 haha

April@MyFoodTrail September 25, 2011 at 11:22 am

Nothing wrong with going back for more! It shows it was good… though some people said they didn’t think much of it :O

Bianca @ The Cooking Capers September 22, 2011 at 7:17 pm

My favorite was also the KFC! The cassoulet was such a let down in my opinion, I had the tiniest amount of dry, chewy duck (honestly smaller than a 5 cent piece!). Thanks for providing some insight into why there were so many people at the VIP bar! I was thinking… ‘Why would there be so many people up there when there is all of this awesome food down here?!’ but free cheese and drinks – of course 😉 haha.

April@MyFoodTrail September 25, 2011 at 11:24 am

At least I wasn’t the only person who thought the duck was dry and chewy at Libertine’s stall!

There was actually two parts to the HSBC VIP lounge. One side was for those who paid for a premium ticket and got 3 free drinks with their ticket price but no free cheese, and the other side was for HSBC customers (me) who got free cheese, but no free drinks (well, we got free water and coffee).