Etch Restaurant Sydney

Photo Sundays: Dining out at Etch, Sydney

by April@MyFoodTrail on September 4, 2011

in Dining Out, Photo Sundays, Sydney

By me writing this post, it may mislead some of you to think I have been to Sydney recently. Embarrassingly, no, I have not been to Sydney recently! These are photos have been in my drafts since our trip last year. Never mind, the point of Photo Sundays is to share my photos that never made it to a “proper” blog post.

My brother suggested this restaurant and I had read about it on a few Sydney food bloggers blogs so I was interested in trying it. At the time, they had a very reasonably priced degustation menu, but as there were four of us dining, we figured we would be better off ordering a different entrée and main each and we could end up having a mini 8 course degustation if we shared everything. It was like a production line (or should I say eating line), where everyone ate a quarter of the dish, then passed it on!

I took a photo of the menu at the time of our visit so I remember what we had, but some of the menu descriptions didn’t match the dish that was placed in front of us. I guess when restaurants have to do that, most diners wouldn’t realise because the menus have been taken away and they might not remember the secondary ingredients of the dish they ordered. I like to know the descriptions of what I’m eating… I think it heightens the experience.

Etch - Outside

Outside Etch Restaurant

Etch - Inside

The beautiful interior of Etch

Etch - Crispy spiced duck entree

Crispy spiced duck, watermelon, cucumber, black bean vinaigrette $22 (entrée)

Etch - Caramelised pork belly entree

Caramelised pork belly, confit prawn, pea, radish $21 (entrée)

Etch - Marinated Hiramasa kingfish entree

Marinated Hiramasa kingfish, carrot escabeche, Champagne vinaigrette $21 (entrée)

Etch - Chicken ballotine main

Ballotine of free range chicken, peas, crispy gnocchi, sweet corn veloute $32 (main)

Etch - Sea bream & crumbed scampi main

Local sea bream, crumbed scampi, fennel puree, citrus a la Grecque $31 (main)

Etch - Flathead wrapped in Serrano ham main

Flathead, Serrano ham, parsnip puree, potato fondant, jus gras $33 (main)

Etch - Roasted short rib of beef main

Roasted short rib of beef, spinach, glazed royal blues, horseradish $34 (main)

Etch - Potatoes with prosciutto side

Provencal potatoes, aged prosciutto, smoked garlic mayonnaise $9 (side) – OMG, what genius potatoes!! So good!

Etch - Caramel date tart dessert

Caramel date tart, burnt butter ice cream, Earl grey tea syrup $15

Etch - Lolly tray dessert

Etch lolly tray $15

Allan September 4, 2011 at 5:56 pm

YUMMO. drools! how high would you rate this place? is it worth me putting it in my short list of places to visit when and if i go to sydney? hehe

April@MyFoodTrail September 5, 2011 at 10:22 am

It’s been over a year since I visited this place, so I’m not sure what the standard is like now. I enjoyed the food when I was there but you might want to check some recent reviews. Hope you have fun in Sydney… there are too many places to eat at!

Michelle chin September 4, 2011 at 7:06 pm

I love the plating here! So much of detail! I think the kitchen must be run by a bunch of perfectionists! Hehe.

April@MyFoodTrail September 5, 2011 at 10:23 am

Yeah, the plating was really nice with a lot of thought!

Hannah September 5, 2011 at 4:16 pm

LOLLY TRAY! ohmygolly. Everything here is so beautiful! I can’t help seeing a Dalek/owl-like creature in the Short Ribs dish though 😛

P.S. This post makes me feel better about the fact that I’ll soon be posting myself about a lunch from December last year 😀

April@MyFoodTrail September 8, 2011 at 1:19 pm

Hahaha, I love your creative imagination! Now when I look at the beef dish, all I can see is an owl!!!

msihua September 5, 2011 at 6:48 pm

Everything looks spectacular.. and wait… last year?? OMG.. hahaha.. I’ve actually given up on my pictures from last year.. can’t keep up!

April@MyFoodTrail September 8, 2011 at 1:20 pm

Hehe, I know. So many outstanding posts! Food bloggers obviously eat out too much 🙂

mademoiselle delicieuse September 8, 2011 at 1:47 pm

I’ve yet to eat here and I actually live in Sydney! Their lolly tray is rather well know though.

I was invited by friends to their wedding menu tasting and we did that eating-assembly-line thing too! There were 6 of us, so it was eat 1/6 then pass it on!

April@MyFoodTrail September 9, 2011 at 11:13 am

I can imagine in some restaurants, dividing a dish into 1/6th would be hard since some things on the plate are so small. How nice to be invited to a wedding tasting and it’s not even your own! 🙂

penny aka jeroxie September 9, 2011 at 10:04 pm

I love the look of the trolley tray…. kekeke

April@MyFoodTrail September 11, 2011 at 8:31 pm

It was good. It’s like petit fours with the choice, but much better!