Spice Temple Melbourne

Photo Sundays: Dining out at Spice Temple, Melbourne

by April@MyFoodTrail on September 11, 2011

in Dining Out, Photo Sundays, Southbank

Crown Complex
8 Whiteman Street, Southbank VIC

I’ve actually been to Spice Temple a couple of times, but the photos below are from our first visit with Mr ST for his birthday. The second Spice Temple visit was with hubby’s family but I didn’t take any photos.

I never bother to take photos when we’re out with hubby’s family anymore. I feel like I’m being a hindrance by asking them to wait for me to take my photos, since they like to dig into the food as soon as hits the table! Also we tend to go to places where the food is all shared so if the food all comes at once, there is no hope of me being able to get a photo before the dish is touched!

Never mind. Hubby and I eat out enough on our own or with others who don’t mind me taking photos (or take photos themselves), so I’ll never run out of blog material!

Spice Temple is well known for their “hot and numbing dishes”, where they use a heap of Szechuan peppers in the food to give you a numbing effect. We didn’t try any of the dishes in the trip below, but we did the following time. I have to say, I don’t understand the appeal of the hot and numbing dishes. They kill off all your tastebuds for the next 15 minutes… why would you want that?! Isn’t it better to be able to savour and taste the food? The hot and numbing dishes contain so much Szechuan pepper, I got a terrible, bitter after taste. It’s not something I would order again.

Something I would order again is the caramel chocolate and peanut parfait for dessert. It is must try dessert if you like chocolate and peanut butter. There have been many times I wanted to go Spice Temple just to have that dessert!

Spice Temple Melbourne - Outside

Outside Spice Temple

Spice Temple Melbourne - Inside 1

The dark interior of the restaurant

Spice Temple Melbourne - Inside 2

The restaurant had colours of red, purple & pink

Spice Temple Melbourne - Stir fried sea scallops with velvet noodles & chilli paste

Stir fried sea scallops with velvet noodles & chilli paste

Spice Temple Melbourne - Guangxi style roast pork belly with tofu, coriander, peanuts, red onion & sesame seeds

Spice Temple Melbourne - Tea smoked chicken special

Tea smoked chicken – This had to be ordered 24 hours in advance, but they had one available on the night

Spice Temple Melbourne - Hotpot of fresh shiitake, oyster, enoki & wild Chinese mushrooms, Yunnan Style

Hotpot of fresh shiitake, oyster, enoki & wild Chinese mushrooms, Yunnan Style

Spice Temple Melbourne - Caramel chocolate & peanut parfait

Caramel chocolate & peanut parfait

Spice Temple Melbourne - Caramel chocolate & peanut parfait inside

Inside the caramel chocolate & peanut parfait

It was a nice night so we went for a walk down by the river. Here are some photos I took. Isn’t Melbourne city so beautiful at dusk?

Outside Crown, Southbank at dusk 1

Outside Crown by the river looking back at the city

Outside Crown, Southbank at dusk 2

Looking back towards Flinder Street station

Flames at Crown

The flames that go off every hour at night outside Crown by the river

Tv Food And Drink September 12, 2011 at 5:52 am

Your photos are terrific. I feel the same way sometimes about snapping pictures of food, especially if it’s been ordered by someone other than myeslf. Luckily, I’ve been doing it long enough now that most friends offer the plate up to my camera before they dig in. I’ve finally broken them!

Gary

April@MyFoodTrail September 13, 2011 at 9:07 am

Thanks! Haha, I think if you do it enough times, people definitely get used to it. You’ve trained them well! 🙂

Vee @ Munching (in) Melbourne September 12, 2011 at 12:31 pm

Haha I know what you mean about not being able to snap photos in time April – especially with Chinese food hey! And the photos I do manage to snap are either blurry or just not great because I haven’t had enough goes! Love the sound of that parfait though – chocolate and peanut butter aaaaahh 🙂

April@MyFoodTrail September 13, 2011 at 9:09 am

Haha, yes, especially with Chinese food. When four dishes come at once and people are hungry, they wanna just eat, not wait for you to take photos. I always try to hurry and take only one or two photos, but then it comes at the expense of you being able to get a photo, especially in dark places!

Kat (Spatula, Spoon and Saturday) September 12, 2011 at 2:54 pm

Gorgeous photos. I love szechuan pepper. You don’t have so much that it kills your taste buds. Just a bit.

April@MyFoodTrail September 13, 2011 at 9:10 am

I agree a bit is nice, but at Spice Temple, they really pile it on!

Adrian (Food Rehab) September 12, 2011 at 9:25 pm

OMG – I was thinking the same thing. I would so go back ONLY for the caramel chocolate and peanut parfait. If I weren’t so full the first time I went, I swear I would’ve gotten seconds!

April@MyFoodTrail September 13, 2011 at 9:11 am

Hehe, I’m glad someone else thinks it’s overkill too. I had to share my caramel chocolate & peanut parfait both times… next time it’s going to be one all to myself!

ngizee September 14, 2011 at 2:44 pm

Hi April,

Love the post, I always wonder about some of those finer restaurants at Crown. I have only dined at a couple and maze by Gordon Ramsay was probably the most exuberant. I had the some photographic issues though. Do I take my Digital SLR and shoot? Or do I just snap them on the little stash-away in the partner’s handbag? Nevertheless, I decided to be a little more refined, as my $200 plus bill commanded me to be so, and refrained from taking any cameras. My mobile phone was dead too so not a single pic from the night. I am totally in regret now as my budget does not afford me the luxuries of fine dining every weekend and I would probably like to try somewhere else next time. It was a good evening with some remarkable food, but alas. not a picture to relive the memory. As a result I have not included it on my blog…*sigh*

What camera do you shoot your pics with? Do you do much post processing? Do waiters and staff look at you weirdly when you are clicking away at the food?

Love to get an insight from other fellow food bloggers.

ngizee

April@MyFoodTrail September 14, 2011 at 4:57 pm

Well, I’m only speaking from my own point of view because I know of other foodbloggers who think differently.

Even after two years of foodblogging, I still feel quite shy to take out my camera and take photos, especially in a nice restaurant, but I NEVER use the flash, no matter how dark it is (I used to in the beginning, but have since learnt the error of my ways!!). I think the use of flash is distracting to other diners, plus it makes people look at me, which I don’t want. I take photos of my food because I want to remember what I’ve eaten and be able to look back at the nice restaurants I’ve visited.

I use an Olympus E-30 DSLR. I’m still learning about post-processing because I think it makes a real difference to make an ok photo a good one.

I’m mindful to try and only take photos when there are no waiters around and try to take photos discreetly. I don’t like to advertise the fact I am a foodblogger/taking photos of my food.

If you have any other questions, feel free to email me.

ngizee September 15, 2011 at 8:50 am

Thanks April

You have given me a bit more confidence to pull out the camera and click when at restaurants…but discreetly. I too don’t use flash in my food photography as I get a better pic without – however the shaky hand syndrome can sometimes be a pain.

Thanks for checking out my blog too. I have only been at it for a few months but have been into food all my life…lol.

I look forward to catching your next post.

April@MyFoodTrail September 18, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Yes, food blogs tend to be a natural progression for those who love food… which is most people… which probably explains why there are so many food blogs now!

penny aka jeroxie September 14, 2011 at 10:06 pm

Food looks gorgeous…. and to take photos in that lighting must be so tough!

April@MyFoodTrail September 18, 2011 at 2:19 pm

My camera doesn’t handle high ISO very well, but I’ve developed a pretty steady hand for dark restaurants. Must be all the practice LOL

Sammy September 23, 2011 at 2:35 am

Beautiful photos of the restaurant, food & flinders street! You make me miss home so much <3

April@MyFoodTrail September 25, 2011 at 5:50 pm