Recipe: Sweet potato & blue cheese tart – The Cookbook Challenge Week 52 & the finale lunch

by April@MyFoodTrail on November 16, 2010

in Baking, Cookbook Challenge 2010, Recipes, Savoury Tarts

Theme: Outdoors
Cookbook: In the Kitchen by Allan Campion & Michele Curtis

Wow, where has the last 52 weeks disappeared to?! I can’t believe we have come to the end of the Cookbook Challenge. I’m disappointed I didn’t manage to complete every week but I think a lot of us underestimated the time it would take to post a different recipe every week. I’m in awe of the few who did manage to post every single week of the 52 weeks!

My goal of the Cookbook Challenge was to use my existing cookbooks more and I did do that… though I also succumbed and added more to my collection over the past year! There will be a Cookbook Challenge round 2 but we’ll be having a bit of a break and starting it from 1 January 2011 and run it over the calendar year. There will be 26 themes instead of 52 and posts will be once a fortnight, which hopefully helps more people make it to the end. Stay tuned for more details next month!

To celebrate the end of the Cookbook Challenge, we had a potluck lunch. In keeping with the outdoors theme for Week 52, we wanted to hold it at a park. However the weather had other plans, and the lovely Agnes opened up her house again and invited us over.

There were so many things I wanted to make, but the chosen recipe had to be easy to prepare, portable and taste okay eaten cold. I had sweet potatoes to use up so I adapted a recipe for a pumpkin and blue cheese tart. I didn’t have time to make the pastry from scratch so I just used the ready made frozen shortcrust pastry sheets.

Sweet potato & blue cheese tart

Sweet potato & blue cheese tart - Finished 1

Pastry shell
1-2 sheets frozen shortcrust pastry (depending on the size of your tart tin)

Method:
1. Preheat the oven to 180C.

2. Line a 25cm tart tin with the pastry sheets, pushing the pastry into the tin well and trim off any excess.

3. Prick the base of the pastry shell with a fork and rest in the fridge for 30 minutes.

4. Line the pastry shell with greaseproof paper and add baking weights, rice or beans.

5. Bake for 15 minutes, then remove the paper and pastry weights and bake for a further 5 minutes to crisp the pastry.

Sweet potato & blue cheese tart - Method
Left: Pastry shell waiting to be blind baked; Right: Sweet potato & blue cheese in the baked shell

Filling
1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced into 2 – 3cm chunks
Oil
Salt & pepper for seasoning
Pre-baked pastry shell (above)
50g blue cheese
4 eggs
125ml (½ cup) thickened cream

Method:
1. Preheat the oven to 180C.

2. Toss the sweet potato in oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven until cooked, approximately 30 mins.

3. Place the cooked sweet potato in the cooked pastry shell and crumble over blue cheese.

4. Whisk the eggs together with the cream and season with salt and pepper.

5. Pour the mixture into the pastry shell and bake for 30-40 minutes, or until the tart has set.

Results: I only have one tart tin and it’s pretty shallow, so my tart turned out quite flat, more like a pizza! The blue cheese taste is very strong so you definitely have to like your blue cheese. The original recipe actually said 100g of blue cheese but that seemed like too much so I only put half in. I don’t think I cooked the pastry long enough because it was on the soggy side but the tart tasted okay.

Would I make it again? Yes, it’s quite an easy recipe.

Cookbook Challenge Finale Lunch - All the food
All the wonderful food

As with all food blogger potluck gatherings, there always ends up being too much food, but who’s to complain when it all tastes fantastic and we can take home leftovers! Here are some photos of the spread!

Cookbook Challenge Finale Lunch - Sweet potato & blue cheese tart
My sweet potato & blue cheese tart

Cookbook Challenge Finale Lunch - Asparagus & gruyere tart
Agnes’ asparagus & gruyere tart

Cookbook Challenge Finale Lunch - Onion foccacia
Agnes’ onion foccacia

Cookbook Challenge Finale Lunch - Wraps
Shellie’s tomato, ham, cheese and chutney wraps

Cookbook Challenge Finale Lunch - Chicken with vinegar
Cherrie’s chicken abodo (chicken in vinegar) which was served with basmati rice

Cookbook Challenge Finale Lunch - Pizza twists
Cherrie’s pizza twists

Cookbook Challenge Finale Lunch - Stir fried noodles
Kat’s stir fried beehoon noodles

Cookbook Challenge Finale Lunch - Chorizo & potato bake
Leigh’s impressive looking potato & chorizo bake

Cookbook Challenge Finale Lunch - Meatballs
Penny’s meatballs & chilli sauce

And what is a lunch without dessert!

Cookbook Challenge Finale Lunch - Choc orange muffins
Leigh’s dark chocolate & orange muffins

Cookbook Challenge Finale Lunch - Chocolate cake
Shellie’s chocolate cake with blueberries

Cookbook Challenge Finale Lunch - Coconut slice
Kat’s jasmine scented coconut slice

Cookbook Challenge Finale Lunch - Banana cake

Thanks for the lovely lunch company ladies. Bring on 2011’s Cookbook Challenge!

almostalwaysravenous November 16, 2010 at 7:46 pm

congratz on finishing up the 52 weeks =). Look forward to next year's!!!

imasugarjunkie November 16, 2010 at 7:47 pm

Your tart looks delicious! And all that food! sooo yum! Very bummed I couldn't make it, but glad we are doing the challenge again next year. I hope I make it through the whole year!

msihua November 16, 2010 at 9:04 pm

Wow!! That looks amazing! I might put my hand up for half the weeks for 2011!! Might… I've got to get out of work and get a life!!!

Agnes November 16, 2010 at 9:09 pm

Your tart was so, so yummy. I reckon you could've used the full 100g – hehee.

Agnes November 16, 2010 at 9:09 pm

Oh, and your banana cake was the awesome as well. I just ate a piece tonight! Still good. Yuminess!

Chocolate November 16, 2010 at 9:48 pm

Looking forward to the Cookbook Challenge Round 2 😀

Iron Chef Shellie November 16, 2010 at 9:57 pm

yummy photos!!!
Thanks again for the past year.
x

Michelle Chin November 17, 2010 at 8:40 am

When I showed this to my sister, she went "BANANA CAKE!"

It's been five years since I ate banana cake. 🙁

My Restaurants Melbourene November 17, 2010 at 11:22 am

congratulations on finishing all 52 weeks!! what an effort

April @ My Food Trail November 17, 2010 at 12:13 pm

Hi almostalwaysravenous: Thanks! I'm hoping I can complete every single theme next year!

Hi imasugarjunkie: Yes, what a pity you couldn't make it! Hopefully you can make it to one of the lunches next year.

Hi msihua: Well you could always join and give it a go. Nothing will happen if you can't manage every theme!

Hi Agnes: You must really love your blue cheese! 🙂 Hey, make sure you don't keep the cake for too long… it tastes best fresh!

Hi Chocolate: More details will come next month!

Hi Shellie: Thanks for being involved too! 🙂

Hi Michelle: Hehe, you should try the recipe. Many people have tried it and said it's one of the best banana cakes they've had. It's also easy to make!

Hi My Restaurants Melbourne: Thanks, though I didn't do them all! 🙂

Agnes November 17, 2010 at 1:10 pm

Don't worry, it's all gone now! 😀

Conor @ Hold the Beef November 18, 2010 at 2:09 am

Woooo, well done everyone! What a freakin' fantastic spread to celebrate the end. LOVE my blue cheese so would definitely love a slice of that tart. Tart me up!

Lauren November 18, 2010 at 4:10 am

What a gorgeous spread of food! Your tart sounds and looks incredible – delicious combination of flavors.

Maria@TheGourmetChallenge November 18, 2010 at 9:41 am

WOW, cant believe a whole year has gone by!! Everyone has done such a fantastic job, and what a great way to celebrate the end of the challenge!

Forager @ The Gourmet Forager November 18, 2010 at 9:25 pm

Has it really been a year of cookbook challenges? Far out I must have aged another year too 🙁 Love the sound of that pumpkin blue cheese tart – I'll have to squirrel it away & bake it for my vego friend.

mademoiselle délicieuse November 20, 2010 at 8:48 am

Congrats on finishing up your challenge, especially seeing as you disappeared overseas during part of it! Look forward to more challenge antics next year =)

Adrian in Food Rehab November 24, 2010 at 9:11 pm

Yay! A year of cook books, well done yo. That's dedication and a whole lotta calories!

Amanda December 2, 2010 at 12:58 am

OMG that tart looks amazing, two of my favorite noshes in one location!
Looking forward to giving this a go in 2011:-)

amanda December 2, 2010 at 4:39 pm

Sweet potato is very easy to digest by babies and contains nutritious or minerals. It is helpful in minimizing the risk of obesity, diabetes and heart disease. I like this very simple and affordable recipe.
baby food

Maree December 14, 2010 at 11:01 am

Thanks so much for organising the challenge, although I couldn't keep up with posting, I've loved checking out everyone else's progress. I'd love to be a part of it in 2011, so will stay tuned!

raja July 7, 2011 at 2:56 pm

I am glad that I stumbled upon your blog. I have been seeking for a really nice recipe for this weekend. I think I found it! Thanks.

Food Display Cabinets

mopensdn12fhx September 21, 2014 at 5:33 am

脌 11h le dimanche 6 mai, les services du souvenir va 锚tre tenue 脿 la cath茅drale anglicane de Portsmouth 脿 Old Portsmouth. Cela pourrait 锚tre y compris le d茅fil茅 d’anciens combattants tandis que dans la plaque comm茅morative des Malouines pr猫s de Tower Square, Broad Street, Old Portsmouth. Nike Blazer Femme 4. Paradis des ennemis coupon. Aldi n’accepte pas les coupons, les d茅penses de protection de l’assurance sont tr猫s bas, s茅lectionnez grosse perte. Seuls couponers graves vont souvent de r茅duire les d茅penses au Cub ou arc-en faisant usage de coupons et d’acqu茅rir disponible. Nike Pas Cher Nifty, je vaisjuste inf茅rieur Hepstead Turnpike et je vais probablement en trouver dans Levittown. Merci! Nike Tn Requin Pas Cher Une fois que vous 锚tes sinueuse alors que dire de l’examen portant un tankini? C’est seulement un maillot de bain comment le haut est que le T-shirt d’habitude. Vous 锚tes capable d’aller paire ayant inf茅rieur hipster dans le act.Having les meilleurs clubs pour les d茅butants Chaussures Nike Pas Cher Vraiment, Fiat marque Ferrari rappelle 1.248 458 mod猫les supercar Italia apr猫s avoir d茅termin茅 si vous avez un adh茅sif sp茅cial utile pour attacher un bouclier thermique 脿 l’int茅rieur de passage de roue 茅tait 脿 risque de fusion mis en place avec plusieurs voitures caus茅s 脿 s’enflammer. Air Max Pas Cher Les sacs en plastique tuent la faune marine. Gr芒ce 脿 ce si猫cle, a pr茅dit 46,000 plastique de mati猫res f茅cales flottent dans presque tous kilom猫tre carr茅oc茅an mondial. Pour cette raison, environ 200 diff茅rents types de vie marine qui comprend 茅galement les baleines, les dauphins et les tortues exp茅rience consid茅rable tue chaque ann茅e en cons茅quence de sacs en plastique. Le nombre de morts a 茅t茅 produite 脿 partir de millions par an. 脌 Terre-Neuve seul, environ 100.000 animaux marins meurent chaque ann茅e. Ces animaux marins ing猫rent les bagages 脿 tort que la nourriture et meurent de suffocation et la noyade. Pire encore, le sac en plastique ing茅r茅e reste intact mais la d茅composition de ces cr茅ature marine, disponible avec impatience sa prochaine victime. Nike Blazer Femme Les d茅put茅s qui ont consult茅 au cours des propositions reprennent les id茅es n’ont pas 茅t茅 examin茅es correctement dans beaucoup de domaines et mettent en garde contre les mesures qui pourraient conduire 脿 des protestations, plus flytipping et peuvent m锚me voir des gens jeter leurs ordures dans les autres propri茅taires bacs d’affaires. Nike Air Max Pas Cher Nombre raisonnable des items plus que trois onces sont autoris茅s, mais doivent satisfaire aux conditions suivantes: emball茅 correctement s茅par茅 via votre autre liquide, gel et articles d’a茅rosols. Ils ne vont pas partager le sac identique. Souvent, il est pr茅f茅rable de d茅clarer 茅galement que vous avez probablement cet examen des agents de s茅curit茅 dans le poste de contr么le. Toute 茅tape pourrait consister 脿 envoyer pour la plupart des inspections plus 脿 votre machine de radiographie. Tout liquide achet茅 dans un magasin ou un restaurant du poste de contr么le de s茅curit茅 peut tr猫s bien 锚tre port茅 sur votre vol librement. http://www.stillacademy.com/nikeblazerfemme.html Mme Simpson et ses amis ignorer les campagnes de sant茅 publique et de hits reggae dynamitage de la pratique irresponsable. Nike Blazer Pas Cher Si vous voulez transf茅rer de la nouvelle zone r茅sidentielle plus t么t cette semaine avec la famille proche? Si c’est le cas, alors le chemin peut emballer tous les articles m茅nagers comme le divan, tubelights et climatiseur avec des moyens s没rs? Dont vous pensez que la consultation d’experts est direction difficile? Il es assez talentueux pour utiliser des bo卯tes de taille particuli猫res pour les offres particuliers comme les armoires, frigo et le masque de l’offre de lits de la poussi猫re. Articles pour ordinateur exemple, coiffeuse avec miroir et les ordinateurs portables ainsi 锚tre emballage avec soin suppl茅mentaire pour faire cesser les mishappenings associ茅s aux d茅g芒ts et des ruptures. Ils utiliseront des 茅quipements uniques, y compris les bandes de la colonne vert茅brale 脿 payer pour ces objets correctement autour des pertes. En outre, ils ont 茅t茅 fantastiques transfert plupart de ces choses 脿 partir de 1 destination pour une autre dans les v茅hicules modernes comme la jeep et les camions. Ces voitures ont int茅gr茅 la fumiers qui vous Install茅 loin de pratiquement tous les tracas li茅s rayures d茅coulant de route in茅gale 脿 travers l’ensemble du parcours. Nike Blazer Pas Cher Tassler a indiqu茅 qu’elle donnait Jones un peu de mou pour son 芒ge, disant que son propre fils 24yearold dit des choses sp茅cifiques entre 19 et 24 qu’elle voulait qu’il n’avait pas.