Dining Out: The Convent Bakery, Abbotsford

by April@MyFoodTrail on October 12, 2010

in Abbotsford, Cafe, Dining Out

The Convent Bakery
1 St Heliers Street, Abbotsford VIC

Cuisine: Café
Prices: Breakfast menu $8-$15, lunch menu $8-$12

The past weekend was a busy one. It started with the food bloggers Spring picnic (where I made blue cupcakes to bring along), then Mr M & Mrs S’s baby shower in the afternoon (where I also made blue cupcakes), followed by a family birthday dinner… and that was all just Saturday! We were babysitting our nephew on Sunday afternoon, followed by another family dinner so we wanted to make the most of the beautiful weather and have lunch somewhere outdoors.

We’ve never been to the Abbotsford Convent Bakery before so we were pleasantly surprised to see such a lovely and relaxed setting. The Convent Bakery and Café is located within the grounds of the old Abbotsford Convent, which is right next to the Collingwood Children’s Farm. The café has both a breakfast menu and a lunch menu but we were feeling more like lunch.

Convent Bakery - Outside
The Convent Bakery

Hubby got the steak sandwich, which was served in a long, soft foccacia with aioli, caramelised onions and mixed salad leaves. It also came with a side of chips. The serve was huge for only $12!

Convent Bakery - Sandwich
Steak sandwich – organic steak, served in foccacia bread with aioli, caramelised onions, tomato & mixed leaves served with chips $12

Convent Bakery - Steak Sandwich
Inside the steak sandwich

I got the chicken burger, which was also served in the same long foccacia. It was a marinated chicken thigh fillet with aioli, guacamole and mixed salad leaves and also came with a side of chips.

Convent Bakery - Chicken burger
Inside the chicken burger – roasted chicken thigh marinated in olive oil, mustard & spices, served in foccacia bread with aioli, tomato & guacamole served with chips $12

Whenever I order a burger at a pub or restaurant, I always find it too big for me, so I normally leave behind the “lid” (the top of the bun). The good thing was that the aioli was on the bottom side of the bun but I found it disappointing that the chicken fillet only filled up half the bread. I’m an “edger” so I like the filling in my burgers and sandwiches to go all the way to the edges!

I was tempted to pick up some of the wonderful looking cakes and pastries from the bakery, but I think I used up my next week’s sugar quota with all the cakes I ate on Saturday!

Overall: Abbotsford Convent Bakery is a great location for a relaxed outdoor breakfast / brunch / lunch and it’s very reasonably priced. It is also family and pet friendly, with entertainment on the front lawn for the kids. I’ll be back and shall try some of the sweet treats next time.

Michelle Chin October 12, 2010 at 12:52 pm

I love burger fillings that spill out too. 🙂

CC11 October 12, 2010 at 1:00 pm

Shame about the tiny chicken, but otherwise nicely generous serves

penny aka jeroxie October 12, 2010 at 1:18 pm

ahah!! I am an edger as well then.

Hannah October 12, 2010 at 1:27 pm

Is it bad that the thing about these photos/meals that I most love is the little squeezy packet of tomato sauce? I haven't seen one of those in years!

msihua October 12, 2010 at 6:34 pm

It looks so beautiful and sunny out there!!!

~RnR~ October 12, 2010 at 7:10 pm

The Steak Sandwich looks yummy… >< Maybe I should try one day... 😛

almostalwaysravenous October 12, 2010 at 7:27 pm

definitely a big time edger as well! and such a bargain as well

Iron Chef Shellie October 12, 2010 at 8:48 pm

lol, loved the term "edger". I believe I am one of those too..

I really must get down there one day, looks like you had gorgeous weather for it!
x

Celeste @ Berrytravels October 12, 2010 at 8:56 pm

I'm an edger too! My burgers are always bursting with fillings – really don't like the ones that are half empty!

Emma @CakeMistress October 12, 2010 at 10:54 pm

Was great to see you at the picnic. Still dreaming of that blue frosting 🙂
This looks like a great place for lunch!

mademoiselle délicieuse October 13, 2010 at 12:33 am

Heheh, I'm an edger too and it's really funny when I make pizza!

Jetsetting Joyce (MEL: HOT OR NOT) October 13, 2010 at 12:35 pm

Oooh looks good. I've never heard of the term 'edger' but I like it! 🙂

Jetsetting Joyce

Conor @ Hold the Beef October 13, 2010 at 4:35 pm

Yay for the squeezy sauce! Takes me back to primary school. You always have to give them a little shake in case you get that first weird watery bit.

That chicken is ridiculous. Why did they not cut it and spread it out a little?! I'm definitely an edger too.

Betty @ The Hungry Girl October 14, 2010 at 12:37 pm

Yes, I'm totally with you on the edger thing! What a beautiful setting for lunch 🙂

My Restaurants Melbourne October 14, 2010 at 8:35 pm

Now that's value for money! The place looks family orientated.

Maria@TheGourmetChallenge October 17, 2010 at 10:21 am

oh i've always wanted to go to the convent, but never have. I agree….everything must go to the edge…whats the point if it doesn't??

Steph October 21, 2010 at 3:23 am

Burge + Layer of fries inside = Perfect! Try it 🙂 I'm not sure if it really taste different, but the texture is great.

April @ My Food Trail November 5, 2010 at 10:06 am

Hi Michelle: They are the best burgers! 🙂

Hi Chanel11: My thoughts exactly! 🙂

Hi Penny: It seems like a lot of people are!

Hi Hannah: You obviously don't have pies and sausage rolls enough because they always have them!

Hi msihua: It was a beautiful day for eating outdoors!

Hi RnR: Yes, it's worth trying!

Hi almostalwaysravenous: Edgers are the best! 🙂

Hi Shellie: Hello edger! 🙂 Because it's mostly outdoor seating, make sure you choose a nice warm sunny day to visit!

Hi Celeste: Bursting with ingredients is the perfect description for the perfect burger!

Hi Emma: Was lovely to see you too! You'll have to visit some time!

Hi mademoiselle délicieuse: Haha, my homemade pizzas have toppings right to the edge too!

Hi Joyce: I reckon the majority of the population are edgers!

Hi Conor: Yes! Squeezy packets take me back to primary school too! That separation of the sauce and water is gross!

Hi Betty: Everybody seems to be an edger!

Hi My Restaurants Melbourne: Yeah, there were lots of families around.

Hi Maria: You should go check it out!

Hi Steph: I normally put a mouthful of burger and then some fries into my mouth at the same time… that's kind of the same thing right?! 🙂