Dining Out: Thai Thai Restaurant, Hawthorn

Thai Thai Restaurant
850 Glenferrie Road, Hawthorn VIC

Cuisine:
Thai
BYO: Yes, $4 per person
Prices: Entrées $4.90-$8.20, salads $11.90-$18.90, mains $13.90-$21.90

Poor hubby has been spending the majority of his waking hours working on a large project for work. One downside to the long hours is that we can’t really plan things anymore because plans change according to whether hubby has work to do. While I try to be a good wife and make dinner for my hard working husband, some nights I can’t be bothered and we go out to eat somewhere nearby.

It has been a while since we went to Thai Thai, the last time was when we got takeaway from them. The restaurant is small but intimate, though I question the use of a flat screen TV as a digital photo frame in the middle of the restaurant! The menu is quite substantial so all diners should find something that takes their fancy.

We started with larb gai, which is a minced chicken salad. I asked for the salad to be mild and it still came out rather spicy – I wouldn’t want to see what spicy is like! The dressing was nice but on the salty side.

Thai Thai - Larb gai
Larb gai – warm minced chicken salad with red onion, chilli, mint & ground rice $13.90

The next dish was one we had tried before, mee krob. It was short vermicelli pieces deep fried and mixed with a tamarind sauce, with a few prawns and crispy bits of tofu. The mee krob was sweet and crunchy but we left most of it behind because it got too sickly after a while.

Thai Thai - Mee Krob
Mee krob – crispy rice vermicelli & tofu in tamarind sauce with prawns $17.90

The last dish was our favourite, Choo Chee pla, which is a curry fish dish. I think it normally comes with a whole fish, but at Thai Thai you have the option of choosing a whole snapper, a whole barramundi or Ling fish fillets. We chose the Ling fillets because I don’t like eating fish with bones still intact. The Choo Chee coconut curry sauce was delicious. The soft fish fillets matched well with the slightly sweet and creamy curry sauce.

Thai Thai - Choo Chee Ling fillets
Choo Chee pla – deep fried fish with Choo Chee coconut curry sauce & capsicum $17.90

Overall: Thai Thai is a great local Thai restaurant and the locals must agree considering the restaurant was full with regular turnover and quite a few takeaway orders. The food is tasty and not too expensive. I would order the Choo Chee pla and larb gai again.

Thai Thai Restaurant on Urbanspoon

Iron Chef Shellie September 21, 2010 at 11:11 am

Yum! Love Thai food.
I keep meaning to try and make larb gai at home too… MILD!! not fire burning spicy!

Hannah September 21, 2010 at 12:57 pm

Love love love larb! It's definitely my favourite Thai dish (well, along with tom yum soup… and probably a fair few other dishes too :P)

And I wish I had your problem of "mild" coming out "spicy" – more often than not I order things spicy and can't taste any heat at all! (Stupid Canberra…)

Conor @ Hold the Beef September 21, 2010 at 5:32 pm

I'm with Hannah – I get so sad when I order something that's meant to be hot and I don't even get a hint of a runny nose from eating it. Harrumph.

Hope the madness of overwork buggers off soon. In the meantime though, keep enjoying eating out I guess!

Christy September 21, 2010 at 6:39 pm

Oohhh Thai food! I'm starving right now >

My Restaurants Melbourne September 21, 2010 at 10:08 pm

I love this thaii restaurant in Hawthorn, it is small and intimate, but I reckon thats what makes it so unique. The food is great. Now I am craving Thai!!!

Kat (Spatula, Spoon and Saturday) September 21, 2010 at 10:45 pm

Don't recognise these as Thai food. Sorry :p

Ellie September 22, 2010 at 2:06 pm

lol at Kat's comment!! I am critical with Malaysian food too. Pictures look good!

cheska September 22, 2010 at 7:43 pm

My boyfriend and I love thai food as well. The fondness over thai food started when we visited Thailand for the first time. we loved the city, the people especially the food. It has been a promise to visit Thailand once a year 🙂 We have been in Thailand for four times and counting 🙂 and when we are here back home, we see to it that we eat thai food whenever we can 🙂

April @ My Food Trail September 23, 2010 at 9:29 am

Hi Shellie: Making larb gai should be pretty easy since it's not much ingredients. It's all about the dressing.

Hi Hannah: Hehe, you should try out the Thai restaurants here… they can really put the heat in if you ask for it!

Hi Conor: Thanks! At the moment there is no end in sight!

Hi Christy: Looking at food blogs when you're hungry is not a good idea! 🙂

Hi My Restaurants Melbourne: Glad you like it too! It's one of the better Thai restaurants I have been to.

Hi Kat: Haha, I was thinking about you when writing this post wondering what you would think! 😛

Hi Ellie: I guess when it is the food of your country, you will be more critical as you know what 'authentic' looks and tastes like!

Hi cheska: Ooh, lucky you to have visited so many times! You guys must really love Thailand! I'm sure the food there is better than in Australia though (and cheaper!).

Celeste @ Berrytravels September 24, 2010 at 12:11 pm

Ooh, I want to try this place! It sounds good and our usual thai place is a bit out of the way in Richmond. Then again, Hawthorn isn't much better…..

Guess I should move closer to the city XD

April @ My Food Trail September 24, 2010 at 5:27 pm

Hi Celeste: You should let me know your usual Thai place! Hawthorn is a bit nearer to you than Richmond, but you're right – not much!

Maria@TheGourmetChallenge October 17, 2010 at 10:19 am

Oh thai thai, been there a couple of times. I must admit the service is really good, but I do like my thai food a little "hotter"…..nothing like a big chili hit.

April @ My Food Trail November 5, 2010 at 10:23 am

Hi Maria: There is a place on the corner of Riversdale Rd and Auburn Rd in Hawthorn called Thai Saffron that can really do big chilli hits in their Thai food. I ordered a papaya salad and I couldn't taste anything, except for heat!!

Saniyah Belt April 24, 2012 at 10:37 pm

Thank you ever so for you blog post. Cool.