Dining Out: Gold Leaf Restaurant, Burwood

by April@MyFoodTrail on September 7, 2010

in Burwood, Chinese, Dining Out, Yum Cha

Gold Leaf Restaurant
155 Burwood Highway, Burwood VIC

Gold Leaf - Inside
Inside the big restaurant

Mr S and Mrs C asked us to go out for yum cha and hubby never says no to a yum cha invitation! Mr S and Mrs C were enjoying one of their last restaurant outings before the birth of their first child and I’m happy to say baby A was born yesterday! Things change when a baby comes along – parents find themselves dining out less and having to choose a place that is baby friendly. I think Mr S and Mrs C were trying to fit in as many restaurant visits before baby A joined the clan! Congratulations on the birth guys!

Gold Leaf in Burwood is one of our go to yum cha places. It’s reasonably priced, relatively close to home, the food is good and parking is free. When I made the booking, I was surprised to learn that they now have three sittings for weekend yum cha. Talk about table turnover! The first session is from 11am to 12.30pm, next one is 12.30pm to 1.30pm and the last one is 1.30pm to 3pm. Due to other commitments, we could only make it to the 12.30 session which meant we only had an hour to eat.

I had a food blogger fail moment at yum cha and forgot to record down the sizes and prices of each dish like I usually do, plus I missed out on taking photos of a few dishes! I blame it on being rushed and hungry!

Pretty much every time we go to yum cha, we always order har gao (prawn dumplings). Gold Leaf normally does a really good har gao, but we didn’t find it as tasty as usual even though they were bigger.

Gold Leaf - Har gao
Prawn dumpling (har gao)

Another regular item we order whenever we go to yum cha is siu mai (pork & prawn dumplings). We liked the siu mai.

Gold Leaf - Siu mai
Pork & prawn dumpling (siu mai)

One of our favourite yum cha dishes is the fried white radish cake but this one must have gone around on the trolley too many times because it was cold and firm by the time it was put in front of us.

Gold Leaf - Lor bak koh
Fried white radish cake (lor bak koh)

The scallop dumpling was served on a plate rather than in a steamer which I found strange because it was obviously steamed. Maybe they needed the steamer back for other dishes! It had a whole prawn in it which was something different.

Gold Leaf - Scallop dumpling
Scallop & prawn dumpling

The BBQ pork pastries had a nice flavour and sufficient amount of BBQ pork to pastry ratio!

Gold Leaf - Char siu pastries
BBQ pork (char siu) pastries

The ginger prawns here were huge! The filling was tasty and moist.

Gold Leaf - Ginger prawn dumplings
Ginger prawn dumplings

Hubby’s not a fan of normal tofu, but he loves the Japanese egg tofu because it has more flavour. There was a piece of the silken egg tofu sitting underneath some minced prawn with a whole scallop on top.

Gold Leaf - Scallop & prawn with tofu
Scallop & prawn with tofu

I had never seen this dish any where before, but it had a seafood/fish filling that was wrapped in rice paper and coated with breadcrumbs before being deep fried. It was served with that ‘yum cha’ mayonnaise with the bits of mango in it! We all liked this dish.

Gold Leaf - Seafood rolls
Seafood rolls

Overall: We felt that the standard had dropped since the last time we went. I wonder if it’s because there is an extra session so they have chosen quantity over quality? It’s still a decent eastern suburbs yum cha place but I think next time we’ll try somewhere else.

Gold Leaf on Urbanspoon

thanh7580 September 7, 2010 at 9:28 pm

I just went to Gold Leaf in Springvale and that's still quite good. I've never tried the Burwood one despite wanting to go for ages.

penny aka jeroxie September 7, 2010 at 10:44 pm

The Gold Leaf Preston is pretty good. I want to blog but we ate so many different dimsums!

mademoiselle délicieuse September 7, 2010 at 11:01 pm

They must have a thing for serving dumplings in threes – I'm so conditioned to seeing them in fours that it seems strange! Mind you, the actual dumpling sizes are huge though *faint*

Conor @ Hold the Beef September 8, 2010 at 1:10 am

Only an hour? This ups the stress levels when you can't see that elusive dish you're hanging out for, I'm sure!

I like the look of those deep fried rolls. Crispy crispy mmmm 🙂

Maria@TheGourmetChallenge September 8, 2010 at 12:33 pm

Every time we go to the burwood Gold leaf its intense! So many people, so much bustling….but well worth it! I have been in a little while. So disappointed to hear the quality has gone down!

Iron Chef Shellie September 8, 2010 at 7:02 pm

3 SITTINGS? woah

My yum cha post to come will be the same… I didn't note down anything, just photos of what we usually shove into our mouths 😛

My Restaurants Melbourne September 8, 2010 at 7:59 pm

Yum Cha is one of my favourites. I haven't been here yet, but recently I went to an all you can eat yum cha in burwood, and I tell you what, when there is unlimited food, its amazing how much you can stuff in you mouth.

Gourmet Getaway September 9, 2010 at 11:32 am

Completely unrelated, can you tell me how the Lumix TZ10 is going for your restaurant shots. I have a Canon 5D DSLR that I use but I often wish I had something more compact. What are you thoughts. I have noticed the images are great.

April @ My Food Trail September 9, 2010 at 2:19 pm

Hi Thanh: I haven't been to the Gold Leaf at Springvale for ages, but I thought the Burwood one is better than the Springvale one, but I think it is slightly more expensive.

Hi Penny: Hehe, blogging the dishes is hard because there are always so many!

Hi mademoiselle délicieuse: Actually I find all the yum cha places in Melbourne serve items in 3's. I guess it must be different from Sydney!

Hi Conor: The pressure was on and we couldn't really wait for the trolley to come around again just in case it didn't!

Hi Maria: They might have had an off day when we went, still might be worth going back!

Hi Shellie: It's awkward when several dishes are put down at the same time and you are trying to match each dish with the category!

Hi My Restaurants Melbourne: Was it the one at China Bar in Burwood? I'm yet to try it!

Hi Gourmet Getaway: I think if you are going from a Canon 5D, this camera might not be the compact camera for you because it's too far of a jump. You might want to look at the Panasonic G2 which is a cross between a compact camera and DSLR, but it's more expensive. A DSLR will always take better shots, but a compact camera is good for the convenience and its small size.

This Panasonic Lumix TZ10 is a whole lot better than a lot of the compact cameras out there, but not as good as an SLR. I would suggest you go try it out at a shop!

I'm loving the video feature though! I've taken a lot of video of my cute almost 2yo nephew.

Forager @ The Gourmet Forager September 14, 2010 at 9:50 pm

Hey – we have a Burwood suburb too! Quite Asian as well! I was wondering where the yum cha place you were posting about!

twistedvamp September 15, 2010 at 8:51 pm

That's very dissapointing that gold leaf standard's has gone down. I haven't been there for Yumcha for nearly 6 months. When they took over from Shark Fin,I remember it being so delightful Oh well. Looking forward to read more reviews of any restaurant in the area. What about Han Palace in vermont south? I've been there few times and is quite nice 🙂

April @ My Food Trail September 21, 2010 at 11:50 am

Hi Forager: Hehe, there are quite a few similar suburb names between Melbourne & Sydney!

Hi twistedvamp: Han Palace keeps changing names! I think now it is called Crown Palace? I will have to give it a try!

Stealthking February 10, 2012 at 8:46 am

The quality and service was always extremely high when it used to be The Shark Fin restaurant. I would quite regularly take clients there for lunch and dinner without any concern for poor service.

Since the changeover to Gold Leaf, the service staff have been very bad and bordering on being rude.

Whilst the food is still satisfactory, one simply cant risk taking a larger group of clients there and getting rude service.

April@MyFoodTrail February 24, 2012 at 3:45 pm

That’s no good. I think Chinese restaurants are more known for their food, then their high level of service. Unfortunately there’s not many Chinese restaurants who get the balance of both right!