Recipe: Baked eggs with bacon & cheese – The Cookbook Challenge Week 28 ‘Breakfast’ theme

by April@MyFoodTrail on August 5, 2010

in Breakfast, Cookbook Challenge 2010, Cooking, Eggs, Recipes

Theme: Breakfast
Cookbook: Huey’s Bloody Good Recipes by Iain Hewitson

Good ole Huey brings me back to my University days, sitting in front of the TV on a weekday afternoon watching Huey’s Cooking Adventures! I remember really enjoying watching the jovial man with a moustache cooking delicious but simple and homely dishes. He cooked food that everyone could easily reproduce at home.

I bought Huey’s cookbook not long after it came out as I loved the concept. There are 50 master recipes with more than 400 ideas to vary the master recipes. In the introduction, he talks about wanting to teach you techniques as well as how to expand your recipe repertoire easily. He provides step by step instructions with photos for a master recipe, then gives ideas on how to vary the recipe to create more dishes. It’s a great cookbook for people who are just starting out cooking or people who sometimes lack creativity (or in my case, the time to be creative!).

Hubby and I are simple breakfast people. We rarely go out for breakfast, or even brunch, much preferring to save our eating out for dinner, and occasionally lunch. Breakfast on the weekend normally consists of a berry smoothie, or half boiled eggs with toast – something light.
It’s a shame because breakfast is the best time of the day for food photos!

I had a lot going on for the weekend of breakfast theme week so I decided to make a simple baked eggs recipe. I’ve never had baked eggs before and it gave me a chance to use Huey’s book for the first time. I used whatever ingredients I had on hand to have with the eggs, which happened to be bacon and cheese. Just use the base recipe for baked eggs and substitute with your own ingredients. Some suggestions from Huey are leek, mushrooms, smoked salmon, asparagus and leftover vegetables. You can also put as little or as much as you like, so I haven’t given any measurements.

Baked eggs with bacon & cheese
Makes 4

TCC - Baked Eggs - Finished

Ingredients
Unsalted butter, melted (for brushing ramekins)
4 large eggs
Bacon, chopped into thin strips
Grated cheese
Salt & pepper, to taste
4 tbsp cream
Toasted bread, to serve

Method:
1. Preheat oven to 160C fan forced. Brush the insides of four ramekins with melted butter.

2. In a frypan, cook the bacon until your desired level of crispness and drain off excess oil.

3. Put bacon into bottom of ramekins and mix through grated cheese.

TCC - Baked Eggs - Method 1
Cooked bacon at the bottom; Adding grated cheese

4. Break an egg into each ramekin, season and top with 1 tbsp of cream.

TCC - Baked Eggs - Method 2
Breaking an egg into the ramekin; Adding cream

5. Make a water bath to cook your eggs by placing the ramekins into a baking dish and pour boiling water half way up the sides of the ramekin.

TCC - Baked Eggs - Method 3
Eggs in the water bath; Eggs after coming out of the oven

6. Bake for about 10-12 minutes until eggs are just set. Serve with toasted bread fingers (soldiers).

Results: The baked eggs were really good and very tasty with the bacon and cheese. It was a nice change from plain boiled eggs but without much more effort.

Would I make it again? Yes, it was quick and easy.

penny aka jeroxie August 5, 2010 at 8:05 pm

Good old Huey. He does remind me of uni days and also when I had a low paying job and so I could come back in time and watch TV!

bri August 6, 2010 at 9:09 am

ooh. I have been experimenting with baked eggs lately, and they seem to take forever to cook (>20 mins for the whites to set!). I think it's because my ramekins take forever to warm up with my useless, unreliable oven. None of the recipes I've read have suggested a water bath but I think this might be the trick I need!

thanh7580 August 6, 2010 at 11:24 pm

Good work April. Looks tasty.

I used to watch Huey's Cooking Adventures all the time as well. He was so funny with that big stomach and those suspenders.

I never go out for breakfast either. Partly because I'd rather save my money for dinner, but also because there are no cafes out in the South Eastern suburbs.

Conor @ Hold the Beef August 9, 2010 at 5:26 pm

Haha, Huey reminds me of my uni days too! I am amazed there isn't a whole block of butter in this recipe though.. he's always like 'just a little bit of butter' and sticks the whole thing in. I guess the cream makes up for it here though 🙂

Agnes August 9, 2010 at 9:21 pm

Haha good ole Huey. I like baked eggs – but I like them more when I'm eating out! I can never be bothered waiting for them to cook when I'm at home, when other styles of eggs can be ready in half the time!

April @ My Food Trail August 12, 2010 at 10:28 am

Hi Penny: We are all from the same generation where Uni days = watching Huey on TV! 🙂

Hi bri: I think the water bath might be the trick to making sure the eggs cook evenly. They were still slightly running in the middle, but I don't mind my eggs like that.

Hi Thanh: Hehe, who could forget the suspenders!! Hey, there are cafes in Glennie, but I guess not as far out as you!

Hi Conor: Well, that wide waist line has to come from somewhere… if not butter, than from cream! 😛

Hi Agnes: That's true, but baked eggs taste different to frying or boiling and it's nice for a change once in a while!

melissa August 16, 2010 at 11:34 pm

just a tip, for those who don't have an oven, you can simply steam this on the stove top.adding a dash of mixed herbs also give a yummy twist to the eggs.

April @ My Food Trail August 25, 2010 at 2:08 pm

Hi melissa: Thanks for the tip! I haven't tried steaming eggs on their own before!

iheartfoodwinecheese September 19, 2010 at 9:31 pm

Great tips – never tried this style of eggs and bacon!

April @ My Food Trail September 21, 2010 at 2:29 pm

Hi iheartfoodwinecheese: It's something different from your normal bacon & eggs!

Operation Jam Jar October 24, 2010 at 4:07 pm

I found a recipe for baked eggs in a really old English cookbook that is so easy you won't believe it, takes about 10 mins in all

Check it out here

April @ My Food Trail November 5, 2010 at 10:31 am

Hi Operation Jam Jar: Thanks for the link! They really do look so fluffy and easy to make!