Sydney Dining Out: Ripples at Sydney Wharf, Pyrmont

Ripples at Sydney Wharf
56 Pirrama Road, Pyrmont NSW
(02) 9571 1999

Cuisine: Modern Australian
BYO: Yes, $8 per bottle
Prices: Nibbles $7-$11, starters $14-$19, mains $24-$29, desserts $12-$22

The view around the restaurant

A trip to Sydney wouldn’t be complete without the chance to meet up with fellow food bloggers so on the Sunday, I had the pleasure of meeting up with Bel from Ooh Look, Anita from Leave Room for Dessert and mademoiselle delicieuse from Spoon, Fork & Chopsticks for lunch. Through the wonders of live communication on Twitter, we found out Agnes from Off the Spork (Melbourne) happened to be in Sydney that weekend as well so she came along to the lunch too.

Ripples has a number of branches around Sydney, each one with their own menu. None of us had been to the Sydney Wharf branch so we choose that location. It is just opposite Star City casino, and it would have been nice to know this ahead of time instead of being led astray by my phone’s GPS! The GPS said number 56 was on the other end of Pirrama Road so that’s where we parked and ended up having a 20 minute walk in the hot sun to the actual restaurant!

Once we got there, we found a beautiful outdoor restaurant on the wharf and by the water. All the tables are outdoors, but under cover. There were rolled up clear blinds on the perimeter which would come into use when the weather wasn’t so nice. We were lucky with the weather that day with the sun out and a nice breeze in the shade.

Since there was so many of us, we each ordered our own thing. I had a hard time choosing just one dish out of the many on the menu that I fancied! My brother BT came along too and he was nice enough to ask what were the two dishes I wanted to try and he would order the other one. I liked the sound of the char grilled beef tenderloins but as I knew we would be having a heavy dinner, I chose the seared scallops.

The scallops were served with boudin noir, which is a “blood sausage” or “black pudding”. It’s not something I would eat by choice, but cut into small pieces it gave the dish a nice lift. The scallops were perfectly seared on the outside, bordering on a little raw on the inside but just the way I like them. The tortellini was slightly chewy but smooth pumpkin filling and the tasty goats cheese sauce made up for that. There were also little bits of pumpkin sprinkled over the dish for colour.

Seared scallops with pumpkin tortellini, boudin noir & goats cheese sauce $28

My brother ordered Ripples’ famous fish & chips. It was a large serve of deep fried goodness! The batter was just right – not too thick or thin and not too oily either. The chips were also very good with a mix of soggy and crispy chips to keep us both happy (me with the soggy & hubby & BT with the crispy). The definite highlight of the meal was the homemade tartare sauce. The three of us agreed it was one of the best tartare sauce we have had.

Ripples famous fish & chips, homemade tartare sauce, lemon $24

Hubby ordered the pan seared ocean trout. It was supposed to be served with a grilled pork sausage, though I can’t recall having it and looking at the photo, I can’t see it either. It was however, served with a poached egg on top of the fish which wasn’t mentioned on the menu. I thought the egg was a rather weird addition to the fish fillet but the fish was moist and flaked apart easily. I enjoyed the farmers salad, which was a mix of salad leaves, tomato quarters and deep fried garlic bread croutons.

Pan seared ocean trout fillet with farmers style salad, grilled pork Toulouse sausage $29

As tempting as the desserts sounded (burnt lemon tart, lemon curd bombe alaska and macadamia toffee anyone?!), I was saving the extra calories for the visit to Adriano Zumbo’s patisserie after lunch! Thanks to everyone for coming along and it was great to be able to put a face to a blog!

Overall: Ripples at Sydney Wharf was a beautiful restaurant for lunch and the food was really good. I heard a few comments that it was pricey, but I thought it was reasonable for the food they were serving.

Would I return? Yes, it’s a great place for a catch up.

missklicious March 5, 2010 at 8:06 pm

Wow, this looks like the perfect spot for weekend brunch. The food looks delicious!

Simon Leong March 5, 2010 at 11:48 pm

oh those scallops do look good but i could probably do without the blood sausage. i'm not a fan of it that much 🙂

Food lover March 6, 2010 at 7:08 am

Looks great! Need to try when I'm in Sydney next.

Esz March 6, 2010 at 2:20 pm

Yum those scallops look really great 😀 And home made tartare sauce would be a treat. At least they didn't skimp on that!

I can't wait to see your post about Adriano Zumbo cafe! 😀

Conor @ HoldtheBeef March 6, 2010 at 8:24 pm

Looks great! Lucky you to have this meet up 🙂 And lucky them to meet you 😀

Maybe they ran out of sausage and gave you egg instead? Or maybe they meant to put some roe on the trout and got confused, hehe.

OohLookBel March 9, 2010 at 10:16 am

It was really lovely to meet you for lunch, thanks for arranging it. Our respective partners seemed to get along with their beer discussion, didn't they?
Your photos look great – I will have to go back there without a blocked nose next time!

Jo - SecondHelping March 9, 2010 at 10:20 am

I love the look of those scallops – and it seemed like the perfect day too. You certainly managed to get to loads of places in your trip to Sydney.

Betty @ The Hungry Girl March 10, 2010 at 9:03 am

Oh, such a shame that we didn't get to meet up whilst you were in Syd 🙁 I'm glad you enjoyed Ripples! I loveed the tartare sauce too – definitely one of the best ones!

April @ My Food Trail March 10, 2010 at 12:43 pm

Hi missklicious: If you can get a good weather day, it is the perfect spot!

Hi Simon: I'm not really either, but I thought it went well with everything else in this dish.

Hi Food Lover: You should definitely try it!

Hi Esz: We kept eating the chips just to be able to eat the tartare sauce! 🙂

Hi Conor: Hehe, I so see how egg is a substitute for sausage… not! 🙂

Hi Bel: It was so lovely to meet you too. Sorry to hear you were sick, thanks for coming along anyway! Hope you're better now.

Hi Jo: Hehe… too many places I think! I ate way too much in Sydney!

Hi Betty: I know! Make sure you look me up if you come to Melbourne! 🙂

Two fit and fun gals March 10, 2010 at 1:50 pm

oh man- the scallop dish looks delicious!

Agnes March 10, 2010 at 9:32 pm

I totally had food envy when I looked down and saw those fish and chips!

mademoiselle délicieuse March 11, 2010 at 9:58 pm

Great to meet you and, oh, the fish and chips! Agree the tartare sauce was excellent and so creamy and rich.

Ellie March 13, 2010 at 7:53 pm

You are blessed with good weather in Sydney! Ripples is such a great place to visit 🙂 Love all the scallops.

Adrian @ Food Rehab March 14, 2010 at 9:26 pm

omg…those scallops do look goood. Especially when dipping all over that goats cheese sauce. Had scallop dumplings for lunch today and now I want more!! 😛

Two fit and fun gals May 23, 2010 at 7:17 pm

those scallops look awesome..! i i havent been to ripples before but its on my to – eat list :O)

April @ My Food Trail May 28, 2010 at 10:09 am

Hi Betty: It was beautifully presented too!

Hi Agnes: They were pretty special fish & chips… and OMG, the tartare sauce!!

Hi mademoiselle délicieuse: So lovely to meet you too! Thanks for coming along.

Hi Ellie: We were thankful for the great weather!

Hi Adrian: Mmmm… scallop dumplings! Save some for me!

Hi Betty: Ripples is a great place for lunch or brunch.