USA here I come!!

by April@MyFoodTrail on February 5, 2010

in Travel, USA

I have been so busy with work and things outside work that I have been pretty quiet here on the blog and on Twitter! One of the other reasons that I have been busy is because I have been planning a trip to America and reading up as much as I can! It was a big thing for us to make the decision to go (for financial reasons โ€“ a trip half way around the world is expensive!), but I have wanted to go to America for the longest time and this year is probably the only chance we will get to go. I hope the Australian dollar continues to hold up strong against the US dollar!

Weโ€™ll be going in April for just over two weeks and heading to New York City, Las Vegas and Los Angeles. Accommodation has already been sorted for all areas and we shall be doing most of the tourist things in each city.

Some of the things I have already planned are:

• Booking tickets for the Statue of Liberty crown
  • Watching a show on Broadway
  • Having dinner at one of the Momofuku restaurants
  • Visiting the Grand Canyon
  • Watching a Cirque De Soleil show in Vegas
  • Visiting the beaches in LA
  • Visiting Hollywood

So my dear readers, I am after suggestions from those who have been before for where to go, what to see and most importantly, what to eat! Anything I must see or do? Anything to avoid? Any handy tips or hints? Any information you can provide would be much appreciated! Please either leave a comment or email me. Thanks!

Matt C February 5, 2010 at 11:10 am

Spend some time in Brooklyn, it's more interesting.

Get the ferry to Staten Island. The ferry is cheap, serves beer and has incredible views.

Go to the Spotted Pig.

Go to some of the classic sandwich shops like Eisenberg's or Katz's deli.

If you can afford it, go to Per Se (book ASAP).

When you're in LA, eat at as many taco trucks as you can. Kogi is great (although it's Korean rather than Mexican).

cloudcontrol February 5, 2010 at 11:31 am

I agree with Matt on Brooklyn. Great little cafes on Park Slope (a few years since I lived there) and an awesome pizza joint near the top of 5th avenue (Boerum Hill, I think, technically).

It's horrible to say, but you really SHOULD try White Castle sliders. There was an outlet in downtown Brooklyn, near the Jay St stop. Also near the Jay St stop, outside Polytechnic University, there's an awesome Texan Fried Chicken place I used to go to waaay too often.

There's also a Caribbean place on 14th st (I think?) near 1st Avenue that does great empanadas – the jerk chicken ones are the ones to go for there – also more great Caribbean places out in Broklyn – hop off at the Nostrand Ave. stop (I think?). You could visit Prospect Park and the Brooklyn Museum and make an afternoon out of it.

Las Vegas – so cliche, but it's almost a sin to not try the $9.99 steak and lobster special at any of the more dingy casinos! Not the greatest of culinary highlights, but excellent blog fuel!

ms s loveridge February 5, 2010 at 11:45 am

First and foremost – I have to say I'm super jealous!!! But, also super happy and excited for you.

Prepare your camera and tummy for NYC! ๐Ÿ™‚
– David Burke @ Bloomingdale's offers really really really good food! ๐Ÿ™‚ http://www.davidburke.com/
– Check out Marie Belle Cacao Bar & Tea Salon http://www.tea-nyc.com/wordpress/?tag=mariebelle for their sandwich and Mayan hot choc and find "Burger Joint" http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/burger_joint00/ !
– Pastrami sandwich from Katz Deli is a must if you're big on meat.
– Gobo!!! http://www.goborestaurant.com/
– Lunch at EAT http://www.elizabar.com/zabar/ is definitely a must! They are awesome.

I want to go back… =D

Have fun!

Simon Leong February 5, 2010 at 12:13 pm

this is great timing because i'm planning to visit the States in Oct and wanting to know where i should go and eat as well. tentatively thinking of San Francisco, Las Vegas and New York. have about 3-4 weeks. looking forward to all the suggestions you find out ๐Ÿ™‚ perhaps I should consider visiting Brooklyn too, sounds good.

Ellie February 5, 2010 at 1:20 pm

How exciting!! Can't wait to read all about it ๐Ÿ™‚

Leona February 5, 2010 at 1:30 pm

OMG YOUR SO LUCKY!!!!!… Last time i went there i didnt have a food blog therefore i ate everything that was heart attack material hahaha …

since ur going to vegas for a short period of time i recommend..

VEGAS
– take a helicopter ride over the grand canyon its quick, you wont loose or waste your day where as driving there takes 1 whole DAY!.. you get to actually land in the canyons and you get to fly btwn dams and lakes where buses cant go!

I also recommend eating at Wynn hotel!

Ahhh you make me want to go back there… I only love going to the states to go shopping.. its the best! hope you spend lots of moneyyyY!! its soo cheap!

Conor @ HoldtheBeef February 5, 2010 at 2:44 pm

Oh you're going to have so much fun! I also recommend Marie Belle for their hot chocolates. I went to the one in Manhattan but I think there are others. Also had lovely lovely meals at Balthazar in Soho and Solo in Manhattan, but I think these are quite pricy (I was lucky enough not to pay!).

My regret about NYC was not enjoying any street food, especially after reading about the Vendy Awards last year (http://holdthebeef.blogspot.com/2009/08/2009-vendy-awards.html).

Have a wonderful trip! (Can I come?? I can be suitcase-sized!)

ms s loveridge February 5, 2010 at 3:27 pm

Conor: you'll have to queue up for the suitcase-d opportunity (behind me!) ๐Ÿ˜›

And, yes – Balthazar bread basket – omigosh! Have to try them! The last order is at 3 pm though I think…

Simon: If you're going to SF, try to set time aside for a 2-3 day trip to Yosemite! It is very pretty. I didn't find Las Vegas that attractive when I was there – but it's one of those that you just have to find out for yourself. ๐Ÿ™‚
Miami is recommended… though NYC is my fave (like many others)! ๐Ÿ™‚

Street vendor: for good reason, there is always a queue at the kebab cart near where we were staying (corner E 62nd and Madison Ave). Great cheap food.

Jackie February 5, 2010 at 6:17 pm

SOOO jealous!

I've never been, but my sister in law used to go once a year and RAVES about the FAO Schwartz toy shop in New York. She reckons it's better than Disneyland.

mademoiselle dรฉlicieuse February 5, 2010 at 8:16 pm

I know nothing about foodie holes in the US but everyone tells me about Katz's in New York. Whilst in New York, of course you'd have to visit Dean & Deluca… =p

imasugarjunkie February 5, 2010 at 8:35 pm

oh my gosh, i am sooo jealous!!! I heart NY!

For your sweet tooth – head to Serendipity 3, either in vegas or NY. Try the frozen hot chocolate. And make sure you go with an empty stomach because its huge!!

go to the shake shack in madison square park. try the frozen custard but i also hear the burgers are quite good.

and for the BEST guacamole ever, go to mama mexico. they also have great cocktails with strange ingredients like cactus!

and just eat at any diner you come across – its cheap, plentiful and most of them have great food!!

I could seriously go on and on about the food there!

Iron Chef Shellie February 6, 2010 at 9:16 am

WOW!! Lucky you!!
I remember the bread being salty in the US, so that's why I resulted to eating Lucky Charms ๐Ÿ˜›

Grand Canyon is amazing!
I would say go to Disneyland!!

Vegas is too cool, I can't wait to go back there…. it's been about 14 years since I went so I'm sure ALOT has changed!

Can't wait for the blog posts on this one!
xo

Esz February 6, 2010 at 8:48 pm

Oh wow I am so jealous! You know I never really was interested in going to the States but lately it has been holding some appeal. I would love to see NY and the east coast of the country – all those pretty forests. It would be amazing to go in Fall.

But since I haven't been I can't give you any recs. Though I did have a workmate say that the beaches in LA aren't that fab. They're actually pretty filthy supposedly.

Oh and if you want to know about the food – I dont know if you have Foxtel but there is a show called Man vs Food where the host Adam goes around the US sampling some of the best food and also challenging himself with some supersized and superhot meals…which seems to be a bit of a popular thing over there. The food he eats has me drooling sometimes and also quite queasy but if you could get your hands on some episodes I am sure that will give you some good tips on where to go. ๐Ÿ˜€

Maria@TheGourmetChallenge February 9, 2010 at 1:58 pm

wow, so SUPER jealous right now!! I've never been so I cant recommend anything…..except for cupcakes at magnolia bakery! Have no idea what they would taste like, but my rec's were always going to be cupcake inspired!

I'm so looking forward to seeing all your wonderful post about the big old united states!!

Rilsta February 9, 2010 at 3:17 pm

Hi Matt: Thanks so much for those tips! They are all going in my notebook!

Hi cloudcontrol: Thanks so much for your detailed info abt Brooklyn! I shall be going there!

Hi ms s loveridge: Thanks for the recommendations!! I'm excited!

Hi Simon: I will definitely blog about my trip so stay tuned!

Hi Ellie: Thanks!

Hi Leona: Hehe, I'm glad I have come to appreciate food more before going or else I'm sure all I would have eaten is the heart attack food! ๐Ÿ˜› Other people have mentioned not to waste the whole day on the bus to see the Grand Canyon and the helicopter ride is better! I'm looking forward to the shopping too! ๐Ÿ™‚

Hi Conor: You're so skinny I'm sure I can fit you into my suitcase and still have room for my clothes! ๐Ÿ˜› Thanks for the recommendations! Looking forward to trying a hot dog from a street vendor though might be quite a sight since my braces prevent me from biting into anything!

Hi Jackie: Thanks! Disneyland isn't on the itinerary but will have to check out FAO Schwarz!

Hi mademoiselle dรฉlicieuse: I shall think of Felicity (and you!) when visiting Dean & Deluca! Hehehe!

Hi imasugarjunkie: Oh the irony of a frozen hot chocolate! I'm interested to try it, as well as the frozen custard you've mentioned before!! Thanks!

Hi Shellie: Thanks! Not going to have time to fit in Disneyland much to my disappointment! ๐Ÿ™

Hi Esz: oh, I don't have Foxtel but I'll try and find some episodes some how! Thanks for all the info!

Hi Maria: Hehe, wouldn't expect anything less from you! ๐Ÿ™‚ I'm going to be trying a Magnolia cupcake as well as a few others I've been recommended!

Mrs Multitasker February 14, 2010 at 10:19 pm

Rilsta! =)
Definitely definitely Marie Belle on Broome Street in NYC for divine drinking chocolate. And there're 1 or 2 absolutely lovely gourmet home-made chocolate shops close by too.

Rilsta February 15, 2010 at 3:21 pm

Hi Mrs Multitasker: Second rec for Marie Belle, I'll definitely have to try it since I love hot chocolate! Thanks!