The Cookbook Challenge: Week 14 Japanese recipe – Teriyaki Salmon

by April@MyFoodTrail on February 19, 2010

in Asian, Cookbook Challenge 2010, Cooking, Fish, Mains, Recipes

Theme: Japanese
Cookbook: delicious. quick smart cook by Valli Little

I absolutely love Japanese food, but don’t actually own one single Japanese cookbook! There aren’t many Japanese only cookbooks available for sale at department stores and the ones I have seen don’t really appeal to me. I know how to make sushi and sashimi and the other things I can go to a restaurant and eat!

When I was flipping through the Delicious cookbook the other week for the mixed theme, I came across this recipe for teriyaki salmon which I wanted to try so I marked it to use for the Japanese theme. In the past, whenever I wanted to make teriyaki chicken, I always use the bottled, readymade teriyaki sauce. It doesn’t taste that great so we stopped buying it and don’t have anything teriyaki at home.

Well, silly me, because teriyaki sauce is really just a combination of soy sauce, mirin or sake, and sugar! Another thing I learnt was that you should make sure you buy proper mirin, not the mirin seasoning you find in the supermarket. Real Japanese mirin will have an alcohol percentage around 14%. I now buy my mirin and cooking sake from Suzuran, a Japanese grocery store on Burke Road in Camberwell (there is also a shop in South Yarra). The quality of the soy sauce also makes a difference. I now only use Kikkoman or Lee Kum Kee’s premium soy sauce.

Hubby and I don’t eat fish as often as we should but whenever I buy fresh salmon, we prefer to eat it as sashimi or raw in sushi rolls as I find cooking it changes the flavour. This recipe seemed perfect to get our requirement of fish, as well as try making teriyaki sauce for the first time. Also I am heading to Sydney for the weekend, so I needed a simple recipe for this week’s challenge that I could make during the week.

The salmon in the recipe was supposed to be served with a wasabi and avocado sauce, but avocados this week were $4 each and I figured the sauce wouldn’t really go together with rice so I left it out. There was also supposed be an accompanying dipping sauce which I did make, but found the fish was salty enough without it.

I served the salmon with rice and an ajiyose furikake seasoning sprinkled over the rice. The seasoning is a mix of seaweed, bonito flakes and dried egg yolk which I bought ready packaged from the Japanese grocery store. Hubby had never had It before and absolutely loved it! He finished almost half the pack with his rice!

Teriyaki Salmon
Serves 2

Ingredients
2 x 250g salmon fillets (I left the skin on)
1 tbsp + 2 tsp of soy sauce
1 tbsp + 2 tsp of mirin
Oil, for frying

Method:
1. Combine the soy sauce and mirin in a small bowl. Place the salmon fillets together with the sauce in a zip lock bag. Seal and marinate in the fridge for up to a day ahead. I left my fish to marinate for about 24 hours in a bowl.

Marinating the salmon

2. Heat oil in a large non-stick frypan over medium heat. Remove the salmon from the bag, reserving any remaining marinade.

Frying up the salmon

3. Cook for about 4 minutes each side until cooked but still a little rare in the centre.

4. Remove the salmon from the frypan and add the reserved marinade and allow to bubble for 1 minute. Use this to pour over the salmon or as a dipping sauce.

Results: I forgot to take a photo on the inside of the fish, but I undercooked it – it was still pretty raw in the middle. We don’t mind it undercooked, but if you do that, you should make sure your fish is very fresh. The marinade made the fish on the salty side so it is best served with a bland side, like rice. The fish was delicious though – the equal amounts of soy and mirin make for a tasty teriyaki sauce!

Would I make it again? Yes, definitely. The sauce suits the salmon very well and it is a quick, simple, healthy weeknight meal.

Jackie February 19, 2010 at 9:49 pm

Yum! I'm convinced that salmon is best suited to Japanese flavours – we usually do a teriaki or miso salmon.

How awesome is Suzuran? I'm totally with your hubby on the furikake. No such thing as too much!

Hannah February 20, 2010 at 6:51 am

I *love* furikake seasoning! And dried egg yolk? Wow! (Though in all honesty, I've probably had one with that, just without knowing how to translate the ingredient list!)

And what a beautiful burnished teriyaki crust on the salmon – yum!

mademoiselle délicieuse February 20, 2010 at 9:22 am

So few ingredients yet such a result with impact – yum!

Trisha February 21, 2010 at 12:50 am

Ohh was thinking of getting salmon for this weekend… been eating too much chicken and red meat lately must have some needed seafood! Will definitely try this recipe!

penny aka jeroxie February 21, 2010 at 10:48 pm

I love furikake seasoning. And I make teriyaki salmon pretty often. YUM!
And like you I did not have any Japanese cookbook as well.

imasugarjunkie February 22, 2010 at 1:17 pm

Looks great! well done 🙂 and so healthy too!

Conor @ HoldtheBeef February 22, 2010 at 5:07 pm

Delicious! I have to admit I've never made my own teriyaki sauce either, but after seeing how straightforward it is I think I'll have to start doing it. Great meal, and I'll happily eat my salmon undercooked 🙂

Iron Chef Shellie February 23, 2010 at 12:34 pm

Looks fantastic even if you undercooked it.
I bought some $4 avos. I saw some for $5 and walked right past them!

I'll have to make this as I have that book too =D .. and I keep buying books.. tsk tsk!

Rilsta February 24, 2010 at 11:00 am

Hi Jackie: Ooh, I am yet to try a miso salmon, though I have tried miso with rockling. I agree with the salmon and Japanese flavours!

Hi Hannah: The egg yolk will be the yellow stuff in the furikake!

Hi mademoiselle délicieuse: I know! So simple but so yum!

Hi Trisha: It's a good way to eat fish. Hope you like it!

Hi Penny: Yes furikake is awesome!

Hi imasugarjunkie: Thanks! 🙂

Hi Conor: Yes, do try it. I'll be doing it more often now I know how simple it is!

Hi Shellie: Must have been a bad week for avocados!

Agnes February 27, 2010 at 9:26 pm

Furikake on hot rice is one of the best things ever! I bet it was even more delicious with the salmon.

Funny, I don't have any Japanese cookbooks either, even though I love Japanese food.

Von February 28, 2010 at 8:59 pm

Yummm!! I love teriyaki sauce. I've never tried the bottled ones or made my own. Must make this some day =]
I like eating my fresh salmon raw too- it seems like wsuch a waste to cook it!

Cherrie Pie March 1, 2010 at 11:23 am

so delicious yet so simple. love it!

Maria@TheGourmetChallenge March 1, 2010 at 3:32 pm

oh this looks so easy and straight forward. I've been have a craving for salmon so badly, then I look at your blog and i see salmon!!!! Oh I want some so bad!!

CC11 March 4, 2010 at 9:02 pm

I also love Japanese food and yet have not one Japanese cook book – hubby and I also hardly make fish at home but when we do it's always salmon – and I love asian salmon and rice, this looks delicious!

Mrs Multitasker March 5, 2010 at 4:30 am

I love salmon teriyaki =) Just made it a few nights ago too but with Harumi's recipe, which calls for a bit of sugar in the marinade, and oven-baking instead of pan-frying. I've seen at least three different salmon teriyaki recipes in the past week I think!

April @ My Food Trail March 10, 2010 at 12:52 pm

Hi Agnes: Hehe, it is funny! I think Japanese food is one of those meals everyone goes out for.

Hi Von: Yes, do try to make your own – it's so easy!

Hi Cherrie: I love how simple and delicious it is too!

Hi Maria: Hehe, blogs always give me cravings too.

Hi Chanel11: Salmon is one of my favourite fishes too!

Hi Mrs Multitasker: Hmm… I think sugar in this marinade would make it too sweet. I guess it depends on how sweet the mirin you are using is!

fullyfashioned August 12, 2010 at 9:22 pm

I know what I'm having for dinner tomorrow night…

A great looking blog you have here with some valuable advice. I just started up my own about a single girl's adventures in Melbourne. Food has been a big part of those adventures.

Take care