Theme: Hor d’oeuvres
Cookbook: Marie Claire Food + Drink
The last recipe I chose was small potato latkes with smoked salmon and topped with garlic and herb cream cheese. I knew I would have oil left over from the prawn toasts so this recipe would use up some of it. I also love potato and smoked salmon, but never thought of pairing them together.
My favourite smoked salmon from the supermarket is the Huon brand. It is expensive at $6.90 per 100g, but it tastes great and is actually a nice deep orange colour. The other brands are either too salty or have that off-putting pale orange colour!
For the dip topping, I started using leftover baby spinach and feta (as shown in the photo), but it didn’t go well, so I used Philadelphia garlic and herb cream cheese spread.
Potato latkes with smoked salmon
1 whole large potato, approx 360g, peeled and grated
1 egg, lightly beaten
3 tbsp plain flour
Oil for frying
100g smoked salmon
Creamy dip for topping
Salt and pepper to season
1. Mix together the grated potato, eggs and flour and season well with salt and freshly ground pepper.
2. Place the mixture into a sieve over a bowl and press down to remove excess moisture.
3. Add enough oil to a frying pan to cover the base by 5mm and heat the oil over a medium heat.
4. Add heaped teaspoons of the potato mixture and flatten a little. Cook on each side for 4-5 minutes or until golden and drain on paper towels. Repeat until all mixture has been cooked.
5. To assemble, cut salmon into pieces to fit potato and top with a dollop of dip.
Results: The potato latkes were quite crunchy if you didn’t make them too thick. The whole combination of potato, smoked salmon and creamy dip was a good one.
Would I make it again? Yes, it is also easy to make.
Just a reminder that Week 4 starts tomorrow with the theme of “beans”.
Over & Out, Rilsta xx