Recipe: Gluten free chocolate flourless cupcakes

by April@MyFoodTrail on October 21, 2009

in Baking, Cupcakes, Gluten Free, Recipes

Before I started this blog, I remember thinking when eating a flourless chocolate cake, how can they make it without flour? Oh, how β€œfoodly” naive I was! πŸ™‚ I now know that almond meal is used as a substitute instead of flour!

Recently when Mrs L, her hubby Mr S & her gorgeous son Mr N came over, I was hunting for gluten free foods as Mrs L has celiac disease, where she can’t have gluten or wheat in her diet. I really feel for Mrs L as I found so many foods were prohibited because they contain gluten. I was making normal cupcakes for everyone else, but I didn’t want Mrs L to miss out so I was determined to find a gluten free cupcake recipe. Many gluten free cake recipes called for a whole lot of egg whites but I managed to find one on a random forum that used whole eggs.

Gluten free chocolate flourless cupcakes
Makes 12

Ingredients
105g unsalted butter, chopped
135g dark chocolate, chopped
150g castor sugar
50g almond meal, sifted
40g cocoa, sifted
3 eggs
Β½ tsp vanilla extract

Method
1. Preheat oven to 140C.

2. Combine butter, chocolate and sugar in a saucepan over low heat. Mix continuously with a wooden spoon until melted and smooth. I did this in the microwave making sure I used medium heat, short burst and stirred regularly.

3. Sift almond meal and cocoa into a bowl and add chocolate mixture. Beat until thoroughly combined on low speed.

4. Add one egg at a time, beating after each addition until mixture is well combined. Do not overbeat or too much air will be incorporated.

5. Bake for 30-40mins until skewer comes out clean. Mine were in for 34 minutes (I have a digital countdown clock)

Results: The cupcakes were cracked in the middle, some of them all the way to the bottom. Does anybody know why this happened? Despite the way they looked, they tasted so decadently chocolatey! They were on the bitter side because of all the dark chocolate in the recipe – great for dark chocolate lovers. The texture was quite dense and thick, but still light and fluffy at the same time, pretty similar to a brownie. Mrs L loved them and took the remainder home!

Would I make them again? Yes, I really liked them.

Karine October 22, 2009 at 12:54 pm

They look so gooey, chocolatey and delicious! Thanks for sharing:)

Betty @ The Hungry Girl October 22, 2009 at 1:12 pm

Lovely! The intersection kind of looks like a brownie! Love the last pic of the muffins stacked together πŸ™‚

Leona October 22, 2009 at 2:06 pm

I went through a scare that I was gluten intolerant that i had to get tested and thank goddd i wasnt! I would die without rice, bread, cakessssss. Cant imagine what a world without eating cakes etc would be like..?

Cupcakes look delicioussss and I love flourless chocolate cakes! My ultimate favourite chocolate cake is a flourless one from Simone Logue. Her flourless cakes are amazingggggg and deadly at the same time and your right they always taste like brownies!

<3 <3 <3 your recipe

Iron Chef Shellie October 22, 2009 at 3:14 pm

Oh I love flourless cakes sometimes! My fave is my choc hazelnut cake.

Gorgeous photos. I love the colour of the cases!

Conor @ HoldtheBeef October 22, 2009 at 4:05 pm

Yum! Tee hee the whole "flourless" thing used to confuse me too!

One of my Crabapple chocolate cupcake recipes says "to prevent the cupcakes cracking on top, allow the mixture to sit in the cupcake papers for 20 minutes before baking" so maybe that's worth a try?

penny aka jeroxie October 22, 2009 at 4:58 pm

So cute! Chocolate richness. Does it help to whip egg white into it?

Trisha October 22, 2009 at 10:53 pm

everyone's doing chocolate cupcakes, gluten free or not! These look like fudgy, chewy chocolate brownies… mmm…that cracked carapace on top looks soo appetising!

Cherry Blossom Cupcakes October 23, 2009 at 8:29 am

They look fabulous! I do let me flourless cupcakes sit before baking but they still are always cracked in appearance (as are flourless cakes). I think it's just a feature of flourless cakes that we have to live with! Very yummy though : )

Ellie October 23, 2009 at 9:37 am

I am always on the lookout for flourless chocolate cake recipe. I am totally in love with it. Still looking for a good flourless chocolate cake recipe that is also nut free…

Rilsta October 23, 2009 at 9:57 am

Hi Karine: Thanks for stopping by!

Hi Betty: Thanks! The stacked together picture only works for these kind of cupcakes because are lower in the middle! It doesn't really work for my normal cupcakes!

Hi Leona: I never knew there was a definitive test you could do to know! Thank goodness you don't have an allergy!!

Hi Iron Chef Shellie: Thanks! They were green but I think the darkness of the chocolate cupcakes made it a prettier shade of green!

Hi Conor: Ooh, thanks for the tip! Shall try it out next time!

Hi Penny: Errmm, not sure whether the extra egg white does anything? It seems cracking is a characteristic of these flourless cakes.

Hi Trisha: Everyone is doing cupcakes full stop! I love all things chocolate anyway!

Hi Cherry Blossom Cupcakes: It's good to know that flourless cakes are prone to cracking so it's not just me! πŸ™‚

Hi Ellie: Oh, that would be a hard one… flourless and nutless?! I think you will be challenged in finding one because most of the flourless recipes use almond or hazelnut meal!

Adrian @ Food Rehab October 23, 2009 at 1:09 pm

Love it. Regardless of how it turned out, it looks so decedant. Yum…

Sarah October 23, 2009 at 1:56 pm

ooh yum! bookmarking this! Gluten free is such a challenge – but flourless chocolate cakes are a great alternative!

Maria@TheGourmetChallenge October 26, 2009 at 1:54 pm

Yum, flourless cupcakes are so rich and delicious! They are in my top 5 of all time cupcakes. I love the rich deep chocolate colouring of yours

Rilsta October 27, 2009 at 12:40 pm

Hi Adrian: Thanks! They were deliciously decadent!

Hi Sarah: This may be a good treat for you now that you have to be on a gluten free diet!

Hi Maria: Thanks! Must be all the dark chocolate this recipe calls for!

Anonymous October 30, 2009 at 11:30 pm

I do like your site! I hope to view more interesting in this site!

thanks.

Rilsta November 2, 2009 at 10:04 am

Hi Anonymous: Thanks! πŸ™‚

Agnes November 6, 2009 at 9:42 pm

They look gorgeous. That's so kind of you, making special cupcakes for your friend. πŸ™‚

Rilsta November 6, 2009 at 11:15 pm

Hi Agnes: Thanks! People with a gluten free diet should also be allowed to enjoy cupcakes!

Gluten Shmooten November 11, 2009 at 9:49 pm

yum these look delicious!

Rilsta November 12, 2009 at 10:24 am

Hi Gluten Shmooten: Thanks! πŸ™‚

Spencer @ Moo-Lolly-Bar October 20, 2010 at 6:13 am

They certainly look delicious!

April @ My Food Trail November 5, 2010 at 10:26 am

Hi Spencer: Thanks!

Teamjam February 23, 2012 at 9:27 pm

I made these-YUMMMMMMMM!!!!!! Soooooooooooooo gooooooooooooood! My Nan is Gluten intolerant and one of my friends from mother’s group. Some of the best cupcakes ever, for anyone, not just with an intolerance.

April@MyFoodTrail February 24, 2012 at 12:57 pm

Thanks so much for the feedback! I’m very happy to hear you enjoyed them! πŸ™‚

Teamjam February 24, 2012 at 11:06 am

FYI, i tried these with white chocolate-replaced choc with white and replaced cocoa with 20g sr gf flour and 20g-epic fail. there was too much sugar in the mix due to the white choc i think, there was a this crust on top which crumbled and the underneath was really oily and too moist. oh well, the choc version was beautiful and muddy so i still love the recipe!

April@MyFoodTrail February 24, 2012 at 12:59 pm

Thanks for coming back with your results again. White chocolate is a lot sweeter than dark chocolate, even milk chocolate, which is probably why you found it too sweet. If you like white chocolate, maybe you can try reducing the sugar next time.

Teamjam February 29, 2012 at 9:56 am

I’m up to my 4th batch of these-perfecting them for my daughter’s christening cakes for Sunday- and I have a couple of questions:
*when melting the choc sugar and butter i do it gently over a double boiler and each time i have failed to be able to make the mixture smooth. i thought i had burnt the choc the first time i did it and threw it out but every time it has been the same-it’s very granular in texture. Was yours actually ‘smooth’?I am using milk choc which has more sugar than dark so that’s the only reason I can think why it would be different.
*did you bake at 140C fan forced or without fan? I have two settings on my oven-low or high fan
*would you let them cool in the tin? i am using some robert gordon patty cups tat stand alone so worried not cooling in the tin may be a problem
I think that’s al for now! Thanks in anticiaption!

April@MyFoodTrail February 29, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Hi again! πŸ™‚

The mix of the butter, sugar and chocolate won’t be as smooth as melted chocolate, but should not be really granular. Make sure the water doesn’t touch the bottom of the bowl underneath and no water gets into the mixture. It should be smooth enough for you to pour as shown in the photo.

I did it at 140C in a non-fan forced oven. If your oven is fan forced, I would do it at around 130C. Everyone’s oven is different, so keep an eye on it. A skewer should come out clean, but you don’t want to overcook them or else they won’t be moist.

I didn’t cool them in the tin. After I take them out of the oven, I leave them in the tin for a few minutes, then take them out and cool them on a wire rack.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Teamjam March 1, 2012 at 8:11 am

Thank you for your reply! Hmm, I have done all that re the chocolate-SO confused! Oh well, they still come out yummily so I guess I’ll just make my peace with it!
Thanks, might reduce the temperature then.When I made them yesterday I couldn’t get them cooked enough for the skewer to come out completely clean, but I figure that’s because of the muddiness and didn’t want to overcook them.
Thanks again for your help! Experimenting with icing today, I love baking!

April@MyFoodTrail March 4, 2012 at 8:25 pm

Yep, just go with what works for you! As long as it works out in the end and tastes great, it doesn’t matter too much how you get there πŸ™‚

Teamjam March 5, 2012 at 8:14 am

I made 28 gorgeous cupcakes for my daughter’s christening and everyone raved about them as being so delicious-have shared the link to your recipe many times! Thank you!
I ended up using a combination of dark and milk chocolate to counteract the sweetness of the icing I used and that made the mixture at the start smoother, so I think the milk choc must have been why it was grainy.
In case anyone else is doing the same, I used Robert Gordon cupcake wrappers and filled them with 1/3 cup of mixture and they rose to just below the tops (only makes 7 cupcakes though so I had to do 4 batches!).
Thanks again!

April@MyFoodTrail March 6, 2012 at 2:17 pm

Glad to here it all worked out and congratulations on your daughter’s christening! Thanks for all your feedback.