Recipe: Easy Peasy Lemonade Scones

by April@MyFoodTrail on September 20, 2009

in Baking, Recipes, Scones

Yes, you read right. Scones made with lemonade! This, along with my banana cake, were the only two baking recipes I attempted before I started this food blog! These scones are a huge hit every time I make them and best of all, they only require 3 ingredients and no electric mixer.

At work, I am now known as a bit of a baker since I have been bringing in some of my baked goodies for my colleagues. One Friday, Miss R (not one to hold back!) asked me whether I was going to bake over the weekend and what I would be bringing into work on Monday! It has been a while since I have made these lemonade scones and I wanted to blog about it so I agreed to bring these in and Miss R volunteered to bring the jam and cream.

From what I’ve heard, scones are supposed to be difficult to make. I have never made scones using any other recipe so I can’t comment. I can almost guarantee that if you have had trouble making scones the traditional way in the past, you will succeed with this recipe – it’s so easy!

Lemonade Scones
Makes approx. 14 (depends on how big you make them)

Ingredients
3 cups self raising flour, sifted
1 cup thickened cream
1 cup lemonade
Milk for brushing tops

Method
1. Preheat oven to 200C (180C fan forced).

2. Make a well in the centre of the flour and pour in cream and lemonade. Combine gently.

3. Turn out onto a clean bench and knead gently until dough comes together and is smooth. The dough will be very sticky so you will need extra flour. Try not to add too much – just enough so it is workable.

4. Pat out dough to 3cm thick and cut out rounds with a scone cutter. If like me you don’t have one, just pull off parts of the dough and roll into slightly flat balls.

5. Line a baking tray with baking paper and place scones lightly touching each other. They will grow while baking and touch, but that is what helps them rise.

6. Brush tops with milk and bake for 15-20 minutes until tops are browned.

7. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.

Results: The scones turned out so deliciously soft and fluffy – I think the secret ingredient is the lemonade. They taste divine with some whipped cream or double cream and your favourite jam (mine is raspberry). Everyone at work enjoyed them but couldn’t fit in more than one as they are quite filling.

Would I make them again? Yes, they are perfect for a morning or afternoon tea and who doesn’t love a good scone?!

Iron Chef Shellie September 20, 2009 at 9:14 pm

This is the same recipe my mum uses and they are just the best. Sometimes she puts in blueberries…. they are my favorite!

spatulaspoonandsaturday September 20, 2009 at 9:40 pm

oooh scones. i love scones! gonna give this one a go. mine is usually solid. but good anyway. anything fresh from the oven is always good.

penny aka jeroxie September 20, 2009 at 9:50 pm

hot scones and butter. yum!

Rochelle September 20, 2009 at 10:03 pm

Those look great! I agree with Penny(Jeroxie) that with some butter on those they would be perfect!

Esz September 21, 2009 at 6:01 am

I've seen this recipe around and always been a bit keen on it. Might just give it a go soon! They look so easy 😀

Stephcookie September 21, 2009 at 8:24 am

These look so good! I'm always looking to try new scone recipes, weirdly I have yet to try lemonade ones. Thanks for sharing 🙂

OohLookBel September 21, 2009 at 9:24 am

Your scones look amazing! I cut out a lemonade scone recipe from the brochure that came with my gas bill, but I think yours is easier, so I will definitely give them a try.

Agnes September 21, 2009 at 5:35 pm

Who doesn't love a scone, indeed! They look very good – yummers.

Rilsta September 22, 2009 at 10:55 am

Hi Iron Chef Shellie: I never thought of adding in fruit etc to these scones, or better yet, chocolate!!!

Hi Kat: Let me know how you go!

Hi Penny: I like my sweet scones with jam & cream, but butter tastes great on savoury ones!

Hi Rochelle: Thanks! Butter makes most things taste better!

Hi Esz: Do give them a go, they are easy! Let me know how you go!

Hi Steph: I was a bit sceptical of using lemonade at first but it worked out really well!

Hi Belle: What?! A lemonade scone recipe from a GAS bill?! Hehe! Let me know how you go!

Hi Agnes: Scones are underrated and a nice change from cakes!

Trisha September 22, 2009 at 11:27 am

These scones look absolutely fluffy and lovely! I love making (and eating) scones and will definitely bookmark this recipe! Thanks!

Sarah September 23, 2009 at 3:19 pm

I've been so curious about lemonade in scones for so long and they always seemed like an odd ingredient! But I may have to give these a go sometime!

Rilsta September 25, 2009 at 9:42 am

Hi Trisha: Great, you'll have to let me know how you go! 🙂

Hi Sarah: Yeah, I thought lemonade as an ingredient was odd too, but it works well!

ms s loveridge February 26, 2010 at 9:20 am

Rilsta – I have to bake something for work on Tuesday and I'm thinking of trying this out. 🙂 Will it still be OK to be served the next day if I bake them Monday arvo?
Thanks! 🙂

Rilsta March 1, 2010 at 11:18 am

Hi ms s loveridge: They are still okay the next day so you should be fine. They taste best on the day of baking, but still survive one or two days! Your work colleagues are lucky people! 🙂

ms s loveridge March 1, 2010 at 11:25 am

Rilsta: Thanks so much! I'll find out tomorrow if they are lucky people or not so lucky people (my baking needs practice! :P)

Thanks again! 🙂

ms s loveridge March 1, 2010 at 11:26 am

oops sorry to spam this post! but, what is your definition of a cup for this recipe? Australian cup? i.e. 250ml?

Rilsta March 1, 2010 at 5:19 pm

Hi ms s loveridge: No worries about your questions! A cup is an Australian cup so 250ml. In this recipe the cup size doesn't matter so long as the size of the cup and the ratios remain the same.

ms s loveridge March 1, 2010 at 11:24 pm

yeah – i thought of that too this afternoon 🙂 thanks for confirming though!

i made it i made it i made it 🙂
thanks so much Rilsta – I'll post the pictures soon! 🙂

ms s loveridge March 2, 2010 at 11:05 am

it works! 🙂 they like itttt!! 🙂
THANKS RILSTAAAAAAAAAAAA

Rilsta March 4, 2010 at 10:53 am

Hi ms s loveridge: Glad to know it worked out for you!!

Ann August 17, 2012 at 8:54 pm

I tryed the scones and love them , you can also freeze them and microwave till worm, they are still very yummy. Then jam and cream or butter and a bit of tasty cheese. Very nice.

April@MyFoodTrail September 6, 2012 at 4:26 pm

Yes, they freeze very well and you can use soda water or natural mineral water instead of lemonade if you want to turn them into savoury scones.