Recipe: Caramel Cupcakes with Caramel Icing

by April@MyFoodTrail on September 15, 2009

in Baking, Cupcakes, Icing | Frosting, Recipes

Forced with a choice, I would choose chocolate over caramel but as I have never made caramel anything before, I chose to make caramel cupcakes to bring over to the previously mentioned poker night.

This recipe comes from Australian Women’s Weekly Bake, which is turning out to be my most utilised cookbook! The original recipe is for a caramel mudcake, but I adapted it to make caramel cupcakes. Since I had never given caramel a go and I was bringing these over for dessert, I wanted to be able to try it first and I wouldn’t have been able to do that with a full cake. Ok, I probably could have since Mr A & Mrs D know I am a foodblogger and missing slices from cakes is just part and parcel of a dessert from a foodblogger! πŸ™‚

The original recipe for the mudcake used a white chocolate ganache icing, but I wanted to try a caramel icing so I pinched it from another recipe.

Caramel Cupcakes with Caramel Icing
Makes 12

Ingredients
90g white eating chocolate, chopped coarsely
90g butter, chopped coarsely
Β½ cup (110g) firmly packed brown sugar
2 tbsp (40ml) golden syrup
Β½ cup (125ml) milk
ΒΎ cup (110g) plain flour
ΒΌ cup (40g) self raising flour
1 egg

Method
1. Preheat oven to 160C (140C fan forced) and line muffin tin with cupcake papers.

2. Stir chocolate, butter, sugar, golden syrup and milk in a large saucepan over low heat until smooth.

3. Cool for 15 minutes, then whisk sifted flours and eggs into chocolate mixture.

4. Pour mixture evenly into tins, filling cupcake papers until approx ΒΎ full.

5. Bake for 35 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.

6. Turn onto a wire rack and allow to cool, the ice as below.

Caramel Icing
30g butter
ΒΌ cup (50g) firmly packed brown sugar
30ml milk
ΒΎ cup (120g) icing sugar

Method
1. Heat butter, brown sugar and milk in a small saucepan, stirring constantly, without boiling, until sugar dissolves.

2. Remove from heat and stir in sifted icing sugar.

3. Using a spoon, pour icing onto cupcakes starting from the middle. The icing should spread and cover the tops.

Apologies for the lousy photo – it was taken as an after thought in the middle of poker!

Results: The cupcake didn’t turn out dense like a mudcake, but instead it was incredibly soft and moist. The icing set hard and shiny like donut icing, which I quite liked and was a perfect sweet icing to complement the cupcake. I think it would taste delicious warmed up and served with icecream, a bit like a sticky date pudding. The cupcakes kept well for 2 days in an airtight container out of the fridge.

Would I make it again? Yes, everybody enjoyed it and it is a nice change from chocolate.

EDIT 16/09/09: Turns out these cupcakes should probably be labelled “butterscotch”, because butterscotch is a combination of brown sugar and butter, whereas caramel is made from white sugar. Well, AWW called them caramel so I’ll leave the name!

Agnes September 15, 2009 at 10:09 pm

Love how shiny and smooth the icing is. And AWW Bake is one of my most used recipe books too!

penny aka jeroxie September 15, 2009 at 10:21 pm

hmmm…. cupcakes. So simple to make and so yummy to eat.

Conor @ HoldtheBeef September 15, 2009 at 11:16 pm

I love the toothmarks in the last photo πŸ˜€

Stephcookie September 16, 2009 at 8:29 am

Ooh they look like caramel heaven, I'll have to try this recipe for the boy sometime, he's a caramel nut πŸ™‚ LOL I totally know what you mean about not wanting to do a full cake because you can't cut it open and try it (and photograph it!). I had the exact same problem when baking a birthday cake recently.

Sarah September 16, 2009 at 12:46 pm

ooh yummy! I've always wanted to try making my own caramel, but it always seems like it would be too hard! Maybe not after all!

Adrian @ Food Rehab September 16, 2009 at 1:34 pm

mmmm…break me off a piece of that!

Iron Chef Shellie September 16, 2009 at 2:33 pm

i LOVE caramel cupcakes!
caramel and white chocolate work well together… and I don't even really like white chocolate!

yay Baker's Delight is on my blog too =D

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella September 16, 2009 at 2:50 pm

Delicious looking cupcakes-look at that satiny icing on top πŸ™‚ hehe I brought a cake with a piece cut out to a friend's house. She didn't bat an eyelid! πŸ˜›

Ellie September 16, 2009 at 7:55 pm

Double doses of caramel!! I like!!!

Rilsta September 17, 2009 at 10:27 am

Hi Agnes: Yay for AWW Bake! It was actually a last minute wedding gift registry item but I'm glad I got it! There are still so many recipes in there I want to try.

Hi Penny: Cupcakes made at home always seem to taste better than those you buy from outside!

Hi Conor: Hehe! I was hoping no-one noticed them! πŸ™‚

Hi Stephcookie: I think your boy will like them if he is a lover of all things caramel! Hehe, I saw that lovely cake you made for someone's birthday!

Hi Sarah: This recipe is really easy so you should give it a go! Let me know how it turns out!

Hi Adrian: It might be better than the cupcakes you have been reviewing! πŸ™‚

Hi Iron Chef Shellie: I'm not a fan of eating white chocolate on it's own, but you can hardly taste it in this cupcake! Re: Baker's Delight – it's not really food advertising!

Hi Lorraine: That's funny! I am yet to do that but I'm sure I will one day!

Hi Ellie: The double dose worked well together!

Anita September 17, 2009 at 11:06 am

I think i tried that recipe for a caramel mudcake and it was superb! Glad to hear it works for cupcakes too! I must try it.

Maria@TheGourmetChallenge September 18, 2009 at 11:25 pm

I've never made caramel cupcakes before. I'll have to try those!

Rilsta September 20, 2009 at 9:21 pm

Hi Anita: And I'm glad to hear it works for a whole mudcake! I'll have to try it as a whole cake too.

Hi Maria: Give this recipe a go – it works well!

Leasa September 4, 2010 at 2:47 pm

Hi, just made these for my daughter who has an egg allergy – used No Egg egg replacer and they were brilliant. Definitely would be great with some cream & ice cream for a dinner party.. thanks for the great recipe

April @ My Food Trail September 6, 2010 at 3:36 pm

Hi Leasa: Thanks so much for the feedback on the recipe! Glad it worked out for you! πŸ™‚

I'm lucky enough to not have to know what No Egg egg replacer is, but it's sounds like a great alternative for people with egg allergies to still enjoy baked goodies!