Quick Lunch: Café Vue, Melbourne

by April@MyFoodTrail on September 30, 2009

in Cafe, Melbourne, Quick Lunch

Café Vue
430 Little Collins Street, Melbourne VIC

I met the lovely Kat from spatulaspoonandsaturday for the first time for a quick lunch one weekday at Cafe Vue. After various comments on each other blogs and communication through Twitter, we thought it was time to meet up!

Café Vue has been labelled the “people’s Vue” as the prices are much more affordable that its older sibling Vue De Monde. As the name suggests, Café Vue is a café serving up breakfast and lunch items. It is located on Little Collins Street, in between Queen and Elizabeth Streets. The café is very small and doesn’t take bookings so there might be a bit of a wait.

We were lucky enough to get a table right away and perused the menu. They were still serving breakfast so you had a choice of a number of breakfast items ranging from toasted sourdough for $3 to a ham & egg jaffle $6.50. There was also a selection of lunch items with the most expensive thing being the wagyu beef pie at $12.

The Café Vue lunchbox sounded like an excellent way to sample a few different things and seemed good value for $15 so I went with that. It consisted of a starter, a salad, a savoury and a sweet. The starter was a red pepper gazpacho served in a plastic espresso cup. I’m not a fan of capsicum so I didn’t like this. It tasted like an oily but diluted red pepper sauce. The salad was a potato and smoked trout salad. It was okay but the potatoes were perhaps a bit overcooked.

Café Vue lunchbox: Starter – red pepper gazpacho, salad – potato & smoked trout salad, savoury – pork & coleslaw wrap, sweet – Valrhona chocolate macaroon $15

The savoury was a pork and coleslaw wrap that was about one third of the size of a normal wrap. The pork was pretty plain and it had lettuce and beanshoots. The wrap would have fallen apart if I tried to pick out the beanshoots so I left them and ate the wrap (yes, shock horror!). The best part of the lunchbox was the chocolate macaroons – beautifully chocolatey!

Inside the pork wrap

Kat got the roast wagyu beef with Yorkshire pudding and gravy. It was a small serve, but everything was good. I had never had a Yorkshire pudding before and I really liked it! The mash was delicious but there wasn’t enough of it. The beef was still rare and pretty tasty.

Yorkshire pudding, roast wagyu, mash & gravy $8.50

Overall: This particular lunchbox was a bit disappointing, but apparently it changes every month so the next one might be better. I quite liked Kat’s roast beef and Yorkshire pudding. Most things on their menu are under $10 and even though the serves are slightly small, it is definitely a step up from food court establishments without the price step up.

Would I return? Probably, though not for the same lunchbox. I saw some other things on the menu that I would like to try. I would try another lunchbox if they changed it and the selection of items appealed to me.

Cafe Vue on Urbanspoon

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella September 30, 2009 at 9:26 pm

Ahh what a shame you didn't like your lunchbox. I like the little parts to it but a wrap 1/3 of the normal size is not good! Sadly, it would probably be good value for Sydney hehe 😉

OohLookBel September 30, 2009 at 9:32 pm

Oh, I adore Cafe Vue and try to go there whenever I'm in Melbourne. The lunchbox is usually pretty good, so maybe you could give next month's a try 😉

spatulaspoonandsaturday September 30, 2009 at 9:43 pm

wow you seem to have made it look a lot more glamourous than i remember it to be! gorgeous photos.

youre going to have to come over and ill make you some Yorkshire pudding 🙂

Maria@TheGourmetChallenge September 30, 2009 at 10:57 pm

Great photos! I've been to the other "Vue's" but not cafe vue yet. Doesnt sond like you had a good trot, but Ive heard so many other good things. maybe second time lucky!

Conor @ HoldtheBeef October 1, 2009 at 2:13 am

Interesting to read your review, as my sister and I stepped in here briefly when we were in Melbourne, but decided to head down to Degraves instead for breakfast (she was craving smoked salmon and we couldn't find it anywhere on their breakfast menu!).

I suspect I'd still be hungry after eating either of these lunches, but I am a bit of a piggy 🙂

Esz October 1, 2009 at 6:00 am

OOoh I have been wanting to go to Cafe Vue for ages (so many places on that list!)

Bummer that what you had was a bit meh. Better luck next time I hope! 🙂

Rilsta October 1, 2009 at 9:59 am

Hi Lorraine: I know, I had such high hopes! You are starting to scare me with Sydney prices!! 🙂

Hi Belle: It seems to be that this one wasn't such a good one. Will check again and see what they come up with next month!

Hi Kat: Thanks and as you can remember I was using my compact camera! I think it was just good lighting. Will have to take you up on that Yorkshire pudding offer – yours sound so good!

Hi Maria: Definitely give it a try. The lunchbox will probably have changed the next time you go and might be better!

Hi Conor: Next time you're in Melbourne let me know! I wasn't full after the meal, but it suited me because I don't think I would have had a very productive afternoon back at work if I ate more! 🙂

Hi Esz: I know exactly what you mean by a long list! More gets added on than crossed off! Yeah, am hoping it is better next time!

Howard October 1, 2009 at 1:34 pm

I quite like this lunch box concept, the yorkshire pudding one looks like good value but they could of given you a bit more mash though!

penny aka jeroxie October 1, 2009 at 7:32 pm

I am not a big fan of Cafe Vue. The burger is Ok but not fantastic. But I do like the look of yorkshire pudding. I do not mind this place but I won't return on purpose.

Rilsta October 4, 2009 at 11:04 am

Hi Howard: I think the photo makes the Yorkshire pudding seem bigger than it was. It was probably the width of a muffin tray hole. I agree with you about the mash! It was sooo yummy and it would have been good if there was more of it to enjoy!

Hi Penny: So many mixed reviews on this place! I would still go back to try some of their other things, though it's not very high up on my list!