Dining Out: Redbean Kitchen, Hawthorn – Visit No. 2

Redbean Kitchen
430 Burwood Road, Hawthorn VIC

Cuisine: Malaysian Chinese
BYO: Yes, $1 per person
Price: Mains around or under $20, noodles & individual rice dishes around $10
Parking: Along Burwood Road

They have fixed their broken sign from last time!

Since the first time we went to Redbean a few months ago, we have actually been back another 3 times for the crab! The second time we went, Redbean increased the price by $3 a pound because they were now only serving female mud crabs. Hubby didn’t mind one bit because he loves crab roe. The crabs averaged abt 2.5 pounds each in weight and were full of sweet, firm meat and an abundance of roe.

At Victoria Street in Richmond, they were selling live female crabs at the Asian grocers for $32.99 a kilo which was only slightly cheaper than what Redbean was charging! I’d happily pay the difference if it meant I didn’t have to kill the crab, cook it or clean up!

This “Visit No. 2” (actually our fourth visit) was over the weekend. Mud crab season is coming to an end and it is noticeable in the quality and size of the crabs. The crab didn’t seem to be as full of meat as the other times, but it was still good and there was plenty of roe.

Female mud crab – Singapore chilli style $19.80 per pound

Look at all the lovely roe! It’s a bit camouflaged by the colour of the crab shell.

My dad goes crabbing every summer and most years he returns with a whole car freezer full of blue swimmer crabs. Hubby finds it funny that I won’t eat them as they are au naturale (just boiled plain), but will eat crab at a restaurant when it is fried and smothered in sauce! 😛

We also ordered another dish that night, beef with honey pepper sauce. Chinese restaurants sometimes over do the black pepper so I requested less pepper. The dish came out different to what we were expecting. Instead of whole beef fillet pieces, it was very thin shreds of beef which had been deep fried first. It was a nice tasting dish, not too sweet or too peppery but bordering on too oily. There was also a border of broccoli so we didn’t need to order a vegie dish.

Steak fillet in honey pepper sauce $16.50

Overall: The major draw card to Redbean is the cheap crab deal. You might still be able to get crab this weekend, but you will need to ring and check with the restaurant. For me and hubby it is time to bid farewell to crab meals until the season rolls around next year!

Would I return? Yes, I am still to try their noodles and individual rice dishes.

Redbean Kitchen on Urbanspoon

penny aka jeroxie September 11, 2009 at 7:44 am

The crab looks good! Ending this weekend? Damn! I will be heading to Sung for my crab fix tonight.

Betty @ The Hungry Girl September 11, 2009 at 10:05 pm

ooh, the crab sounds so good. when is crab season? i'm coming to melbourne in june '10 – lol. i love the name of this place too because i love redbean! hehe. do they have nice redbean desserts, if any??

elaine September 12, 2009 at 1:37 am

CRAB! Mmmmm… i'm so hungry! Love your blog! …added it to my favourites page! 🙂

Iron Chef Shellie September 13, 2009 at 5:33 pm

oh man, I want crab and noodles… no fair!! next year take me to do research here 😉

Agnes September 13, 2009 at 5:50 pm

Those crab photos are making me hungry! Yummers.

Maria@TheGourmetChallenge September 13, 2009 at 8:12 pm

Despite driving past this place everyday I still havent had the crab! And now it seems I've missed out..damn!

Rilsta September 14, 2009 at 11:08 am

Hi Penny: I'm not 100% sure when crab season is ending, but it seems to be around now because the size and quality is less. Good to see you got your crab fix though!

Hi Betty: I tried googling mud crab season and wasn't able to find any definitive answers. Looking at this year, I think the mud crab specials started in April/May. There should be some good specials when you come in June! Even though the name is redbean, all they serve is the redbean soup!

Hi Elaine: Thanks for your kind words! 🙂

Hi Iron Chef Shellie: Definitely next year we'll have to search out the crab specials! 🙂

Hi Agnes: Tell me about it! Everytime I see the photos I get hungry!

Hi Maria: Well, there's always next year!

secondhelping (Jo) September 14, 2009 at 12:48 pm

If I could only eat one thing for the rest of my life crab would have to rate highly in the contenders! Have never been here, but it's local to me and after reading your review it seems deserving of a try.

Rilsta September 15, 2009 at 3:46 pm

Hi Jo: I hear you abt crab being one of the contenders! 🙂 You have probably missed the best part of the season, but make sure you don't miss out next year!