Dining Out: Mamma’s Boys, Kew East

Mamma’s Boys
647 High Street, Kew East VIC

Cuisine: Italian
BYO: Yes, $8 per bottle
Prices: Entrees & starters $8-$18, Pastas & risottos $22-$28, Mains $21-$36
Parking: Along High Street

Hubby and I haven’t had Italian in a while so when a friend said good things about Mamma’s Boys, we went to check it out for ourselves. The restaurant is located on the strip of shops just near the intersection of Harp Road.

Mamma’s Boys has the interior of a fine dining restaurant but without the stuffy atmosphere or prices. The tables were very close together so that you could eavesdrop on the next table’s conversation if you wanted to, but it didn’t bother us too much. There were only two other tables when we arrived but by 8pm, the place was completely full so booking ahead is advisable.

The menu didn’t have a huge selection of items but hubby and I still had a hard time choosing! We wanted to try everything! There was a good mix of pastas and risottos, along with main meat meals. Our friend had warned us of the large serving sizes, so decided to share an entree and get a main each.

For entree we ordered the crochetti di rosa, which was 9 generous pieces of crumbed risotto fingers, with 3 different flavours – eggplant, a cheese one and a salted cod one. They were absolutely divine, our favourite dish of the night. The accompanying dipping sauce was a perfect match, though my only complaint that there wasn’t enough of it and when I asked for more, they said no.

Crochetti di Rosa – assorted crochetti of eggplant, rice balls and baccala (salted cod), accompanied with a Romana sauce $14

Hubby ordered the rabbit ragu risotto for his main. The risotto was cooked well and there were small pieces of shredded rabbit all throughout. It had a nice wholesome flavour.

Rabbit ragu con risotto – slow cooked rabbit accompanied with field mushrooms, in a white wine risotto $26

I ordered the pollo saltimbocca from the specials menu. There were four pieces of chicken tenderloin sitting on top of a risotto. The first few mouthfuls were strange because the sweetness of the marsala really came through, but after that my tastebuds got used to it and I really enjoyed the dish. The chicken pieces were tender and cooked perfectly. The deep fried carrot strips were so good, I had to stop hubby from stealing it all.

Pollo saltimbocca – Tender chicken breast pieces cooked in a light marsala sauce with fresh sliced prosciutto, potatoes, mushrooms and carrot served on a risotto bedding $26

You see, when I am eating something, I like to leave the best bits til last so the best taste is what remains in your mouth after you have finished eating. You will often see me eating all the crust of the sandwich first, or turning my muffin upside down so the crunchy top is saved for last. The problem is, hubby normally finishes his meal first or goes hunting for more food and gets the good bits I was saving to eat last! This happened with the carrot strips and I had to shoo him away!

We also ordered a side of the scallop potatoes, which wasn’t necessary because we ended up with too much food! Though the creamy, slightly tomato sauce looked appetizing, it was actually quite tasteless and watery. I would have liked to add more salt but there was none on the table and I felt a bit awkward to ask. It definitely needed some extra seasoning.

Potato scallops – sliced potatoes baked in a cream and fresh tomato sauce $8

I think this was the first time in a long time that hubby was not able to finish everything in front of him. He is not really a big eater, but he hates to waste so he forces himself to eat everything. He just really could not fit any more in!

Overall: The atmosphere was lively and the prices are reasonable. The generous serving sizes can be summed by hubby’s comment. “What? I can’t hear you, I’m too full”! The large, hearty meals are perfect for people who can eat a lot but a bit of struggle for those with smaller appetites. The food is excellent though.

Would I return? Yes, we enjoyed the food.

Mamma's Boys on Urbanspoon

OohLookBel September 7, 2009 at 11:34 am

As much as I like cheep and cheerful, there's a lot to be said for dining in a nice restaurant with tablecloths. And if the food's good (and filling), then even better. This place looks like a great find!

Iron Chef Shellie September 7, 2009 at 11:44 am

love the name of the restaurant!

I tend to keep the best parts for last too =)

Shame about the potatoes, but looks like a nice place!

penny aka jeroxie September 7, 2009 at 4:43 pm

The Crochetti di Rosa looks good. I have a craving for fried foods these day. not sure why!

Agnes September 7, 2009 at 9:13 pm

I also leave the best bits until last and I would not be impressed at all if my husband tried to eat them. 🙂 The deep fried carrot strips sound intriguing, I would never think to deep fry carrot!

Maria@TheGourmetChallenge September 7, 2009 at 10:12 pm

no salt at the table? What the hell? I heard the global financial crisis was bad, but I didnt think it was THAT bad!

The crochetti sound so crunchy and satisfying. I think I would just get two dishes of that!

maria September 7, 2009 at 11:21 pm

I can't get over that generous Crochetti dish! Lovely photo's again.. all looked rather yummy! 🙂

Conor @ HoldtheBeef September 8, 2009 at 12:26 am

Everything looks so tasty! They said no to your request for more sauce? It looks like a little measly serve for tasty tasty sauce, too. Those stingy sauce givers should be ashamed!

Also, I find that after a good stab in the hand with sharp fork tines, a food-stealer is a little more hesitant about reoffending 😉

charlene September 8, 2009 at 10:06 am

Aw the potatoes had such a sad end. It really did look very appetizing. The portions seem to look like a good size! Such an interesting twist to the chicken, i'm hungry with envy hahahah

Rilsta September 8, 2009 at 5:04 pm

Hi Belle: I agree! White tablecloths always make a place look "posher"!

Hi Iron Chef Shellie: Yeah, it is a cute name, especially for an Italian restaurant!

Hi Penny: I love the crunch you get from deep fried foods, but often places can get it wrong and it ends up being too oily!

Hi Agnes: You will have to try it some time. Those deep fried carrot strips don't taste like normal carrot but are very tasty all the same. Must be the oil! 😛

Hi Maria: I would have gotten two of the crochetti too if my stomach had anymore space!

Hi Maria: I actually thought the photos didn't turn out so well – restaurants and their silly romantic lighting make food photos turn out grainy! 🙂

Hi Conor: Yes, some excuse about the sauce taking a while to make and we shouldn't have to wait?! They could have given more to begin with! LOL abt the fork stabbing! If I did that, hubby's hand would be full of scars!!

Hi Charlene: Yes the portion sizes were BIG! I ended up enjoying the chicken but my fav was still the crochetti!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella September 8, 2009 at 6:09 pm

The chicken dish looks wonderful! I like it when they put those deep fried strips on top to give it a nice crunch. Cute name too hehe

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella September 8, 2009 at 6:09 pm

Rilsta September 11, 2009 at 2:29 pm

Hi Lorraine: The deep fried carrot strips weren't actually crunchy but they did have an unusual but wonderful texture! I love the name too!

CC11 September 15, 2009 at 10:42 am

The crochetti di rosa was our favourite dish when we went a while back as well.

Rilsta September 15, 2009 at 3:49 pm

Hi Chanel11: When I go back again, I'm making hubby order one as well so I can have one for myself 😛 It was really good!

Sebastian September 26, 2009 at 10:30 pm

So that's why you were taking photos that night!!

I'm very pleased that you enjoyed yourselves and going to be on top of the staff to bring out the salt with every meal 🙂

Keep up the good work, cheers!

Rilsta September 28, 2009 at 9:33 am

Hi Sebastian: Haha, yes, I was taking photos to post on here! I think you should just have salt and pepper shakers/mills on every table! Thanks for stopping by!

123 123 January 14, 2010 at 3:12 am

Nice post you got here. It would be great to read a bit more about that matter. Thanx for posting this information.
Joan Stepsen