Dining Out: Brunch at Sasa’s Café & Fine Food, Hawthorn

by April@MyFoodTrail on September 27, 2009

in Cafe, Dining Out, Hawthorn

Sasa’s Café & Fine Food
173 Riversdale Road, Hawthorn VIC

Not to be confused with the beauty & cosmetics outlet, Sasa’s in Hawthorn is named after the owner, Sasa. It looks like a small cottage on Riversdale Road, between Glenferrie and Auburn Roads. Hubby and I have driven past this place numerous times and we keep saying to one another that we should come and try it, so one Sunday lunch, we did.

As you can see from my previous posts, hubby and I don’t venture out for breakfast or lunch much (unless it is yum cha!). Our stomachs are conditioned to eat our largest meal of the day at dinner, so my restaurant visits are mostly for dinner. Which meal do you prefer to eat out for? Lunch or dinner?

Whenever we do venture out for brunch, more often than not, hubby likes to order the big breakfast. Sasa’s big breakfast was called the “Country style breakfast” and consisted of 2 eggs, oven roasted tomatoes, chorizo sausage, bacon, mushrooms and a home made hash brown on toast. It was a decent sized breakfast, though I thought it was missing a crucial ingredient especially when having poached eggs – the hollandaise sauce! Everything tasted great, except the hash brown (more like a rosti) was a bit overcooked and oily.

Country Style Breakfast – 2 eggs, oven roasted tomatoes, chorizo sausage, bacon, mushrooms and a home made hash brown on toast $15.50

I opted to try the smoked salmon lasagne with grilled vegetables. The lasagne was filled with what tasted like ricotta, grilled pumpkin, eggplant and capsicum and smoked salmon. It was somewhat lacking in actual smoked salmon, but I enjoyed it all the same.

Smoked salmon lasagne with grilled vegetables $14.50

Inside the lasagne

I don’t drink coffee so I got a hot chocolate. Hubby’s not much of a coffee drinker either, but he will usually have one when we are having breakfast or brunch out. I think all baristas should go to the effort of putting some design on the top of their coffee. A leaf is not that hard to do.

Pretty coffee art

Overall: Sasa’s is a great place for a lazy Sunday brunch. The menu has a good selection of breakfast and lunch items and has the lovely atmosphere of a neighbourhood café. Prices are reasonable and the food is decent.

Would I return? Probably, but there are also other breakfast/lunch/brunch places I want to try in the area before I return.

Sasa's Cafe and fine food on Urbanspoon

spatulaspoonandsaturday September 27, 2009 at 7:42 pm

I go past it all the time too. In fact, was on the tram to the MCG and wondered about it just yesterday.

I think hollandaise is only required without 'the lot' though.

Conor @ HoldtheBeef September 27, 2009 at 8:43 pm

Ooh, I love the idea of smoked salmon lasagne, but I'd not be impressed if it was found to be lacking in smoked salmon-ness. Still looks nice though.

I think I prefer to eat out for dinner, but I went out for lunch today and it was such a beautiful day which made it all the more enjoyable. Also, lunch dining lends itself more to natural light food photography 😉

Sarah September 28, 2009 at 12:57 pm

I much prefer to eat out for dinner (more excuses to eat dessert!) but we often do brunch of a Sunday because it is "our" time, vs all the other commitments we have!

Maria@TheGourmetChallenge September 28, 2009 at 8:55 pm

Dinner, Dinner, and then dinner again! heheheh. At dinner I can justify a 4 hour session, I feel guilty if thats at lunch time. Not to mention cocktails!!

That hashbrown looks a little worse for wear, but I'm surprised by the inclusion of chorizo, not typical in a country style breakfast.

Twin Palates September 29, 2009 at 3:19 pm

Its a rosetta!

Rilsta September 30, 2009 at 10:08 am

Hi Kat: Did you go to the grand final yesterday? Score! I think I get like hollandaise with everything!!

Hi Conor: Haha, totally agree with you about lunch and natural light! I did try to go out for lunch more but my stomach just can't handle a heavy lunch too often!

Hi Sarah: I have been known to have dessert after lunch so the notion that dessert after dinner doesn't apply to me! 🙂

Hi Maria: Ooh, a 4 hour session – that would be a lot of food!!

Hi Twin Palate: What is a rosetta? The hash brown? It was more like a rosti.

spatulaspoonandsaturday October 1, 2009 at 11:34 pm

nah i tried to sneak in at quarter time but i got busted so i went to fed square instead.

Rilsta October 4, 2009 at 11:00 am

Hi Kat: LOL!! I can't believe you tried to sneak in!