Yum cha dumplings from Hong Kong Dim Sum, Glen Waverley

by April@MyFoodTrail on August 24, 2009

in Ready made

A couple of months ago, I bought some frozen prawn dumplings (har gao) from Box Hill which turned out to be a disappointment but some of my lovely readers pointed out some other places where I could buy yum cha dumplings from.

One of these places was Hong Kong Dim Sum in Glen Waverley, along Kingsway (they also have a shop in Box Hill). The shop has a frozen foods freezer for takeaway frozen dumplings, as well as a hot food section and a seating area for you to eat there.

There is a wide variety of yum cha items that you can purchase frozen – you can see the full list from their website. There were so many things I wanted to get but I settled on purchasing 3 different types of dumplings – prawns dumplings, scallop dumplings and seafood dumplings.

The dumplings typically come in a packet of 10. It’s not exactly cheap at almost $1 per dumpling, but it is cheaper than yum cha prices. All dumplings are supposed to be defrosted first and then steamed for the required number of minutes listed on the packet.

Prawn dumplings – 10 pieces for $8.50

Cooked prawn dumplings

Inside prawn dumplings

Scallop dumplings – 10 pieces for $9.00

Cooked scallop dumplings

Seafood dumplings – 10 pieces for $9.00

Cooked seafood dumplings

Real prawn and scallops were used in the dumplings but they all tasted similar and left that strong fishy seafood taste in the mouth. In my opinion, the fillings were all under seasoned. I found the skins on the thick side but I think the skins have to be so people won’t complain that the skin breaks too easily when taking it out of a steamer.

Overall: The dumplings are better than those you will find at the Asian grocery shops and from Emma’s Frozen Foods, but they are still below average for yum cha quality. Let’s just say if they served these dumplings at a yum cha place, I wouldn’t return.

Would I buy them again? No, you’ll still find me at yum cha on the weekends! Looks like I will have to try and make them myself if I want to eat dumplings at home!

Iron Chef Shellie August 24, 2009 at 9:42 pm

I've had them from here before and they were pretty good! Although I dunno that we got those ones. Sui Mai was good… i think… man it was ages ago!

mmmm yum cha… nothing beats it!

Conor @ HoldtheBeef August 24, 2009 at 10:15 pm

Maybe it actually DOES taste as good, but you don't realise because the environment is different? I suggest you get your husband to offer them to you from a trolley, and fill the entrance to your house with tanks of crabs and lobster.

Anita August 25, 2009 at 2:08 pm

Hmm, they don't look as appealing as real ones at yum cha…

Betty @ The Hungry Girl August 26, 2009 at 9:33 am

Lol at Conor's comment!! I'm always weary of frozen dumplings, don't know why. I'll still be going to my dumpling joints & yum cha for my dumpling fix! These don't sound too great, but it's good that you're doing the 'research' for everyone!

SK August 26, 2009 at 1:41 pm

I'm always sus. about frozen foods. *sigh* I guess sometimes when you're craving the read thing and that's the only thing in the freezer section . . .

OohLookBel August 26, 2009 at 2:50 pm

Nothing beats a proper yum cha, but frozen can be a good standby if you're desperate. And have you noticed how it's those little independent factories that produce the best dim sum?

Rilsta August 27, 2009 at 11:45 am

Hi Iron Chef Shellie: Maybe I got the wrong thing but these dumplings I bought are my favourite at yum cha!

Hi Conor: Haha! Yes, maybe I need to do the whole yum cha setup & they might taste better. I would LOVE to have crabs and lobster fresh to eat every day in my house!

Hi Anita: Maybe Conor is right about the environment and they should have been in bamboo steamers!

Hi Betty: I'm sure those yum cha places use frozen foods too, but they are perhaps better at hiding it! I can't imagine a little school of yum cha dumpling makers getting up early every morning to make the dumplings fresh!!

Hi SK: I was hoping to find some good yum cha dumplings to eat at home so I can satisfy my cravings easily!

Hi Belle: Yes, totally agree, nothing beats real yum cha!

Samuel Jesse October 4, 2009 at 7:28 pm

There are a few tricks to cooking your own dim sum, for instance – straight out of the steamer they should be quickly rinsed in cold water. This removes the starch, the stickiness etc.. They are so hot it doesn't reduce to the temp too much.

Dumplings should also be sprayed with a water mist before steaming to ensure no parts of the pastry dry out…

Samuel Jesse October 4, 2009 at 7:30 pm

MSG also plays a big part of the flavor. And they usually aren't bought frozen, but yes – most dim sum houses have a day or two which they make all the dumplings and freeze them for the week.

Rilsta October 5, 2009 at 9:58 am

Hi admin 101: Thanks for dropping by and for all your great tips! I'll be using the cold water tip because sometimes I find the dumplings so sticky and starchy straight out of the steamer!