Recipe: Chocolate & Pistachio Muffins

by April@MyFoodTrail on August 4, 2009

in Baking, Muffins, Recipes

Nowadays when we are going over to someone’s house, I use the opportunity to try out a recipe and bring some baked goodies along with me. This works out well for me as I don’t end up eating it all myself for fear of being wasteful but I still get to see if I would make the recipe again!

Sometimes making a new recipe for the first time for other people can backfire – like a few weekends ago when I tried to make a baked cheesecake for the first time for hubby’s cousin’s birthday cake. It turned out to be a disaster when the water bath I was baking the cheesecake in leaked into the cake itself. Imagine my horror after baking the cake for almost an hour and then leaving it in the oven for another hour, to take it out and find that $20 worth of ingredients had turned into a soggy mess! There was no coming back from that and we had to buy a cake instead.

I prefer not to make whole cakes when trying out a new recipe and bringing it to someone’s house as I’m not able to taste test it first. If I make muffins or cupcakes, at least I can try one first, and if it really tastes horrendous, I can throw them out and no-one is the wiser!

This recipe comes from the Australia Women’s Weekly Bake cookbook and was originally called Choc Brownie muffins. I have made some changes and I think chocolate & pistachio muffins is a more appropriate name!

——————————

Chocolate & Pistachio Muffins
Makes 10

Ingredients
150g self raising flour
30g pistachios, coarsely chopped
40g caster sugar
17g cocoa powder
55 dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
65g natural yogurt
85g hazelnut spread
90ml buttermilk

Method

1. Preheat oven to 200C (180C fan forced). Grease 12 hole muffin pan.

2. Sift dry ingredients into a large bowl, stir in remaining ingredients. Do not overmix or your muffins may end up tough. Spoon mixture into pan holes.

3. Bake for about 17-20 minutes. Stand in pan 5 minutes and turn onto wire rack to cool.

I found they weren’t sweet enough so I used leftover pistachio buttercream from my pistachio macaroons and diluted it with extra icing and warm milk. Everyone really enjoyed these muffins but I find there are too many separate ingredients for me to make this regularly. If you like pistachios and chocolates then you’ll like these.

OohLookBel August 5, 2009 at 11:06 am

Hey, this is the 2nd post I've seen today featuring pistachios. I really like the icing on top – it makes the muffin more formal and tasty, if you know what I mean.

Conor @ HoldtheBeef August 5, 2009 at 4:53 pm

These look so good. If you try really hard, do you think you could throw one to Perth for me to have for afternoon tea?

I had to giggle about the baked cheesecake disaster. It seems everyone has a baked cheesecake disaster story. I totally had beginner's luck with the jaffa one I made a few months ago.

Maria@TheGourmetChallenge August 5, 2009 at 9:43 pm

hmmmm, chocolate and pistachio….all i have to say is delicious. I cant help but think these look very similar to cupcakes…..or maybe thats because I have cupcakes on the brain!

Anita August 5, 2009 at 9:56 pm

These look great! Good luck with trying a baked cheesecake again – I still haven't given it a go.

Rilsta August 7, 2009 at 5:03 pm

Hi Belle: Hehe, yes I know what you mean! Now with the emergence of a cupcake, it almost makes a plain muffin boring!

Hi Conor: I have used all my might and thrown one in the direction of Perth. Hope you get it! 😛 It wasn't a laughing matter when I pulled the cheesecake out of the oven, but I can laugh now!

Hi Maria: They looked like muffins without the icing, but with the icing they are like cupcakes, just without the wrapper!

Hi Anita: Thanks! I'm sure you'll do fine with a baked cheesecake since you have conquered many things harder, like a crouquembouche!

Iron Chef Shellie August 8, 2009 at 9:41 pm

YUMMMMM~~ I love pistachios!

That's why I always try new recipes! Sharing is better than putting on lots of weight trying to eat them all yourself 😛

Rilsta August 10, 2009 at 1:38 pm

Hi Iron Chef Shellie: Sharing the results of new recipes is always good. People on the receiving end think you are fabulous and you end up eating less! Win win for everyone! 🙂