Recipe: Banana Muffins

by April@MyFoodTrail on August 17, 2009

in Baking, Muffins, Recipes

I was trying to decide between buying Stephanie Alexander’s Cook’s Companion cookbook or Margaret Fulton’s Encyclopedia of Food & Cookery – both have good reviews but I didn’t want to get both (and they are expensive). They teach you about food and cooking rather than just containing recipes.

While you can flip through cookbooks at a bookstore, it is not until you actually read the book that you will know if you will get good use of it. I was able to borrow a copy of Stephanie Alexander’s cookbook so I got a chance to really read it. Stephanie’s book has a section at the front with measurements and basic recipes, and then the rest of the book is classified by ingredient. As an introduction to each ingredient, she gives lots of useful and helpful hints and then lists recipes using that ingredient.

One of the basic recipes was for muffins. You are supposed to start with the basic muffin recipe and then add either wet ingredients (such as fruit) or dry ingredients (such as nuts). What I found interesting was that the rest of the ingredients weren’t supposed to alter with the added ingredients. I would think if you were to add 150g of extra wet ingredients, you would need to decrease the other wet ingredients to compensate.

Anyhow, I followed the recipe and the resulting batter was extremely watery! You can see the difference between the batter for the chocolate and pistachio muffins I made recently and this batter quite clearly. I don’t know if the baked muffins can be called muffins – maybe muffcake or cuffin might be a more appropriate name as it seemed to be a cross between a muffin and cupcake in its texture! It was moist, but a bit springy in texture.

The muffin / muffcake / cuffin tasted delicious, especially warm, straight out of the oven. Hubby couldn’t stop eating them but I put some aside in the freezer for another time. To defrost, I left them out at room temperature for a few hours and they still tasted as fresh as the day I made them. I think the trick is to freeze them as soon as they have cooled down from the oven.

If anyone else has tried Stephanie Alexander’s muffin recipe, I would be interested in knowing whether you also found the batter quite watery? Maybe I did something wrong?

——————————

Banana Muffins
Makes 12

Ingredients
220g self raising flour
1/2 cup castor sugar
3/4 cup milk or buttermilk
1 egg
3/4 cup vegetable oil
150g mashed banana
Butter, for greasing tins

Method

1. Preheat oven to 180C (160C fan forced) and grease muffin tin well with butter.

2. Mix flour and sugar. (Add any additional dry ingredients at this point)

3. Combine milk, egg and oil in a separate bowl and whisk lightly. (This is the time to stir in any extra wet ingredients)

4. Make a well in centre of dry ingredients, pour in liquid and mix lightly.

5. Spoon batter into muffin tins until two thirds full, then bake for 20-25mins or until browned on top.

6. Remove tins from oven and turn muffins out onto a wire rack to cool.

OohLookBel August 18, 2009 at 12:14 pm

I have Cook's Companion, and it's fantastic for looking up how to cook and store unusual ingredients (pomegranates, fennel, etc). Its format is great because you can look up any ingredient and find all sorts of recipes for it.
Anyway, your muffins look pretty good despite being watery. I microwave them for 20 secs to warm them up the next day. Yum!

Stephcookie August 18, 2009 at 1:27 pm

I've never made her muffins but I always use her banana cake recipe and that is very watery as well. But it always turns out perfectly. The muffins look great though!

Betty @ The Hungry Girl August 18, 2009 at 1:35 pm

Aww so cute! I'm not sure about the wateryness, but they look great!

Iron Chef Shellie August 18, 2009 at 7:28 pm

try your local library, sometimes they have some great cookbooks 🙂

mmmmm muffins =)
shame about wateryness. It's always a challenge to find the perfect recipe sometimes!

Agnes August 18, 2009 at 8:54 pm

Hahaha muffcake…. that sounds naughty! Maybe cuffin would be a better term. 😉 They look pretty good too.

Maria@TheGourmetChallenge August 19, 2009 at 1:52 pm

lol at cuffin/muffcake….I agree with Agnes….DIRTY!

If they taste good, who cares what the batter looks like I say!

I was on Amazon yesterday and they have quite a few cooks companions, some are pretty cheap if you dont mind having a used copy. I'm thinking about buying it as an engagement present for a friend, but I dont know if its appropriate. I'll have to think about that a little harder.

Rilsta August 20, 2009 at 1:53 pm

Hi Belle: I'm a bit unconvinced as to whether to buy the book because I'm a bit of a simple cook and don't often use fancy ingredients!

Hi Stephcookie: I'm relieved to here that her banana cake is also watery so then it's not something I have done wrong!

Hi Betty: Thanks!

Hi Iron Chef Shellie: I haven't been to the library for years, but I really should go check it out!
Even though the muffins were watery, they still tasted good!

Hi Agnes: Looks like you are just as dirty minded as I am! Haha! I thought no-one would pick up on it. Maybe it is better being called cuffin! Though how come no-one says "muffin" is naughty?!

Hi Maria: Ok, you got it too! 🙂 You can find Stephanie's cookbook at Book Depository for about $70 after conversion.

spatulaspoonandsaturday August 21, 2009 at 7:55 am

i have the book too and i have made muffins with it lots of time.

i usually do frozen blueberries and some times walnuts (see my blog) so that works out perfectly.

the hitch is when you use wet ingredient into that 150g proportion, thats when things get a bit funny. i did up those muffins once using apple sauce, or rather, josh did up the muffins using apple sauce (I need to stop taking the credits) and the result did become a bit wet.

so yeah, i do find with 150g of wet ingredients (and banana gets amazing watery when you blend it) make the batter a bit too wet. HOWEVER, strangely enough the end product turns out quite all right. definitely not as good as 150g of, say frozen blueberries but okay.

Rilsta August 25, 2009 at 9:18 am

Hi Kat: Thanks for the info. If I want a fruity muffin I'll have to try frozen berries or maybe reduce the amount of milk to compensate for the wetness of the banana!

Apple sauce muffins is a good idea!

Lina August 30, 2009 at 1:09 am

recipe's amazing! thankyou! tried it, loved it.

Rilsta August 31, 2009 at 11:40 am

Hi Lina: Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment! I'm glad you like the muffins! 🙂

Kat (Spatula, Spoon and Saturday) September 17, 2013 at 8:14 pm

I use this. It’s my go-to recipe for muffins and it never fails. I do believe though that 150g is meant to be 150g of dry ingredients (even though she has a banana muffin listed there) for the recipe to work.