Lindt Cafe, Melbourne

by April@MyFoodTrail on August 7, 2009

in Chocolates

I was excited when I heard that a Lindt Café was going to be opening in Melbourne. I haven’t been to the Sydney one but I do love my Lindt chocolate. So much so that we had red Lindt balls as part of our wedding favours / bonbonnieres at our wedding! You can also read about my slight obsession over finding different flavoured Lindt Lindor balls here.

I haven’t seen much publicity about the opening of the Lindt café and I couldn’t even find a phone number for them. The café is located at 271 Collins Street in between Swanston & Elizabeth Streets, next to Tiffany & Co. They opened for business sometime in late July, so one lunchtime I went to peek inside.

The first thought when stepping inside is ‘wow’! The white ceilings of the café are magnificently grand and impressive. There is an open second level which looks like a library of some kind and there are beautiful gold decorative pendant lights hanging down from the high ceiling. It is obvious a lot of money was spent on fitting out the place.

When I visited (weekday lunch time), the café was full and there was a line of people waiting to be seated so I satisfied myself with looking at the cake and chocolate sections at the front. All varieties of Lindt chocolate blocks were for sale and the 100g blocks you see at the supermarkets were selling for $4.50 each.

Reading the little descriptions of each of the cakes in the display was making my mouth water but that soon stopped when I saw the prices. One small slice takeaway was $10 takeaway or $12 to eat in! Very overpriced in my opinion. Hot chocolates were a hefty $6.50 each.

There was also an icecream cabinet with about 6 different icecream flavours, $4.50 for 145g tub and $13 for a 500g tub. I liked the sound of the sable cookies & cream and would have gotten one, but they were all sold out. I went looking for was the Lindt delices (Lindt’s name for macarons) but there were none available. So I walked out empty handed. I find all items overpriced, but I know will be back, just to say I have tried it! I ended up going to Haigh’s instead for my chocolate fix!

I would have taken more photos of the café, but after the last one of the cake display, a waitress told me no photos were allowed of the store so I obliged and put my camera away. I don’t understand why restaurants / places have an aversion to people taking photos – what does my camera see that my eyes don’t?! Someone suggested I should have mentioned I was a food blogger and perhaps they would have allowed me to continue. I never tell anyone I am a food blogger.

So my question to you fellow food bloggers – do you ask before taking photos in restaurants and do you mention that you are a food blogger?

EDIT 28/08/09: I have been to the Chadstone one and had some tastings this time! You can read about it here.

Iron Chef Shellie August 7, 2009 at 6:54 pm

omg you went!!! I can't wait to head down!

wtf about the photos…. I will have to make sure I'm discreet when I go down 😉

om nomnomnom

Ed Charles August 7, 2009 at 7:43 pm

I suggest a blogger meet up there and see if they want to through a dozen or so of us out. LOL!

Iron Chef Shellie August 7, 2009 at 7:51 pm

Sounds like a good idea!!

Anonymous August 7, 2009 at 8:47 pm

It would be nice if you have actually tasted something before you write about it! You've just left me HANGING in suspense!

And no, I normally don't advertise myself as a food blogger- just point and shoot away- they will stop you soon enough if they don't want a pic! 😉

Anonymous August 7, 2009 at 8:53 pm

ohhhhh also there are LOTS of bus stop advertisement- makes my mouth water!!!

OohLookBel August 7, 2009 at 11:49 pm

That's a beautifully ornate store they have there. Maybe that's why the prices are so high.
Shame about the 'no photos' policy, though. If there's a will there's a way, I suppose. Depends on how much you want photos. I suggest you go there a few more times and the urge will pass – that's what I did at Lindt in Sydney!

Simon Leong August 7, 2009 at 11:53 pm

chocolate is certainly big business. not sure what their reason would be for not taking photos but some places are like that I guess to protect exposure of the design of their interiors and products and possibly of security risks, even though we are taking photos of food they are not to know we are innocent and passionate food bloggers. it's like if you wanted to take photos of something in bank, casino or jewellery shop. i know it's not really the same thing but it could be part of some businesses. if you want to take photos then just order take away and it's open season outside the store 🙂

spatulaspoonandsaturday August 8, 2009 at 4:19 pm

if we're going to the storm the joint with lots of cameras like Ed suggested, I'm in. I work like almost next door.

Havent been in there though. Not so much a sweet tooth but looked in once and twice, the place looks impressive! My workmate said their hot chocolate is average (which is the only thing i would really want to try)

kat

Stephcookie August 9, 2009 at 9:19 pm

Ooh your lindt cafe is puuurdy. That's a real shame they didn't let you take photos, I've taken plenty at the Sydney cafes. I never ask before I take photos and I've only been asked once not to take any, I don't really understand places that are hostile to bloggers, unless they mistake you for a competitors spy maybe?!

Maria@TheGourmetChallenge August 10, 2009 at 1:21 pm

The exact same thing happened to me last weekend at let them eat cake. I was pretty much attacked for taking photos, she even insisted I deleted the photos…yeah right! I usually ask if its ok to take photos, but I never say I'm a food blogger. I'm especially conscious about taking photos at high end restaurants, I dont want to upset anyone.

Ed Charles August 10, 2009 at 1:51 pm

I was on a food tour and we went to Let Them Eat cake where they specifically asked that nobody takes a photo. It really puts me off.

Rilsta August 10, 2009 at 1:59 pm

Hi Iron Chef Shellie: I thought I would blend in with the crowd since it was pretty crowded, but one of the waitresses walked past me twice before she told me no photos.

Hi Ed: Haha, I would love to see what they do if a whole group of people with their cameras come in and start snapping away! I guess if we outnumber them, tough cookies to them! 🙂

Hi Anonymous: Oops, sorry! I will be back again so I'll update again! I actually haven't seen any bus/tram stop ads.

Hi Belle: From what I've heard, the prices in Sydney are about the same as here. Yeah, I guess if I was more brazen, I could have continued taking photos and ignored her.

Hi Simon: I know what you mean – they might be trying to protect their designs etc, but like I said, taking photos is really not that much different than looking with my eyes and then writing down notes etc.

Hi spatulaspoonandsaturday: Ooh, if I worked next door it would be hard to keep me away! You're lucky you don't have a sweet tooth – my waistline wishes I wasn't! 🙂

Hi stephcookie: I can see that taking photos of food/restaurant interiors might look a bit dodgy for people not in the know, but hopefully foodblogging can get more exposure and taking photos in restaurants will then become a norm!

Hi Maria: Gee, that's a bit rich them asking you to delete the photos! I would think the majority of people would not know what a "food blog" was.

Food lover August 11, 2009 at 3:50 am

Their hazelnut hot chocolate is probably over priced, but DELICIOUS!!! Can't believe you couldn't take pictures – restaurants can get so much free promotion from bloggers…

Rilsta August 14, 2009 at 9:28 am

Hi Food Lover: Ooh, hazelnut hot chocolate – I've so got to give that a try! Yeah, totally agree with you – restaurants should realise bloggers are doing them a favour and promoting their restaurant!

penny August 18, 2009 at 10:34 pm

Must check this out. Wonder if there is a queue as well over the weekend?

Rilsta August 20, 2009 at 1:43 pm

Hi Penny: I'm sure there will be a queue on the weekend too, but maybe it might be better now that it's been open a month and the Chadstone store has opened.

Cath @ Moo-Lolly-Bar August 30, 2010 at 12:55 pm

It is a little expensive but the chocolate at the Lindt cafe is good. Personally I prefer the one in Sydney as it seems to have more atmosphere but you can still have an enjoyable time at the Melbourne one as well.

April @ My Food Trail September 7, 2010 at 3:28 pm

Hi Cath: I'll have to make a stop at the Sydney one next time I'm in Sydney to compare it!