I never grew up eating zucchini so I am not a big fan of eating it on its own. Lately though, I have been adding it to dishes like my glass noodle minced pork. Zucchini actually doesn’t taste of much when it is mixed up with other ingredients in a dish but at least I am getting my dose of vegetables!
I tried a zucchini slice at a friend’s BBQ and really liked it so I gave it a go at home. This would make a great side dish with a meaty dinner, or accompanied by salad for lunch.
2 medium sized zucchini (around 550g), grated
1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
150g bacon, finely chopped
1 1/3 cup grated tasty cheddar cheese
4 large eggs
3/4 cup self raising flour
1/3 cup oil (I used extra light olive oil)
Salt & pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 180C.
2. Line an 18cm by 28cm baking dish or slice pan with baking paper.
3. Heat a frypan over medium high heat and fry chopped onion and bacon, stirring occasionally, until onion has softened. Set aside to cool.
4. Finely grate zucchini. Make sure you squeeze out and discard the excess liquid from the grated zucchini or else your slice will be too wet.
5. Combine grated zucchini, cooled onion and bacon, cheese, flour, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
6. Lightly beat eggs and oil together in a separate bowl, then add to zucchini mixture and stir to combine all ingredients.
7. Pour mixture into baking dish and spread evenly.
8. Bake for about 40 minutes, or until top is golden brown and firm to touch.
9. Leave to cool for about 5 to 10 minutes before slicing.
The extra slices can be reheated or frozen for another time. Hubby is sitting on the fence about whether he likes this, but I do – so much so that I ate the leftovers for lunch two days in a row! I’ll be making this again.
Over & Out, Rilsta xx