Recipe: Norwegian Cinnamon Buns

by April@MyFoodTrail on July 14, 2009

in Baking, Breads, Recipes

Today was my first day back at work after my surgery 2 weeks ago. To celebrate the occasion I made… NOTHING! Yes that’s right, there is nothing to celebrate about a return to work! I enjoyed my time at home resting and not having much to do, but now it is back to reality and the routine of working life… braving the cold winter mornings, cramming like sardines in an overcrowded train, unflattering stark fluorescent office lights… damn, when will I win Tattslotto?!

Over the weekend I made my second item from Nigella Lawson’s How to be a Domestic Goddess cookbook. The first item I made was the pistachio macarons / macaroons and they turned out somewhat disastrous so I was hoping these buns would turn out better! I was acutely aware that these could also turn out disastrous if I didn’t knead the dough properly or for long enough but thankfully they turned out great!

These cinnamon buns are exactly like the ones I used to buy from Saint Cinnamon. Does anyone still remember that place? I haven’t seen a store around for ages so I think they might have gone out of business. The buns smell delicious baking in the oven and even better right in front of you. They are so soft and so fluffy, it is very hard to stop at just eating one! My hubby and I ate 3 each out of the oven and there were still 14 left! We kept a few for ourselves the next day and the rest went into hubby’s work.

I would only make these again for a party or gathering of some sort because it makes such a large quantity. The buns taste okay cold but much, much nicer warm and on the day of baking.

——————————

Norwegian Cinnamon Buns
Makes 20

Dough
600g flour, sifted (I added another 40g and the dough was still very sticky)
100g sugar
½ teaspoon salt
21g (3 sachets) of easy blend dry yeast or 45g fresh yeast
100g butter
400ml milk
2 eggs

Filling
150g butter, softened
150g sugar
1 ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 egg, beaten, to glaze

Use a roasting tin approximately 33cm x 24cm or a large brownie tin, lined with baking paper bottom and sides.

Method
1. Combine the flour, sugar, salt and yeast in a large bowl.

2. Melt the butter and whisk it into the milk and eggs, then stir it into the flour mixture.

3. Mix to combine and then knead the dough either by hand or using the dough hook of a food mixer until it is smooth and springy. I don’t have a KitchenAid or a stand mixer and my Sunbeam Stickmaster Plus dough hooks are crap so I had to knead by hand for about 10 minutes.

4. Form into a ball, place in an oiled bowl, cover with clingfilm and leave it to rise for about 25 minutes.

5. Take one third of the dough and roll it or stretch it to fit your tin; this will form the bottom of each bun when it has cooked.

6. Roll out the rest of the dough on a lightly floured surface, aiming to get a rectangle of roughly 50 x 25cm.

7. Mix the filling ingredients in a small bowl and then spread the rectangle with the buttery cinnamon mixture. Try to get even coverage on the whole of the dough.

8. Roll it up from the longest side until you have a giant sausage.

9. Cut the roll into 2cm slices to make 20 rounds. I cut the dough in half and half again amd half again etc to make 20 even pieces.

10. Sit the rounds in lines on top of the dough in the tin, swirly cut side up. Don’t worry if they don’t fit snugly together as they will swell and become puffy when they prove (and cook).

11. Brush the tops with egg and then let them rise again for about 15 minutes to let them get duly puffy.

12. Preheat the oven to 230C (or 210C fan forced). I found this too hot so next time I would reduce it at least 10C.

13. Put in the hot oven and cook for 20-25 minutes, by which time the buns will have risen and will be golden brown in colour. By 20 minutes mine were already very brown and the bottoms were black!

14. Remove them from the tin and leave to cool slightly on a rack – it’s easy just to pick up the whole sheet of parchment and transfer them like that – before letting people tear them off to eat warm.

Notes

• The dough was quite hard to handle because it was really sticky. Just make sure you flour the bench and your hands properly and have lots of flour handy.
  • I found the buns weren’t sweet enough – I would add more sugar next time. I ended up making a icing glace to drizzle over the top to make it sweeter.

OohLookBel July 14, 2009 at 5:10 pm

That cinnamon mixture looks amazing, though I can understand wanting to drizzle some icing over the buns – sweet = good!

Conor @ HoldtheBeef July 14, 2009 at 6:40 pm

I must be psychic because I succumbed to buying myself an apple & walnut scroll today from Baker's Delight (first time leaving my house in days and clearly the flu has infected my bakery self-control) and so was able to read this post and munch on a similarly tasty treat at the same time! Well, I'm sure your buns were nicer but I could at least pretend 🙂

Maria@TheGourmetChallenge July 15, 2009 at 2:30 pm

Yum, these look like absolute perfection. I've never made scrolls at home before. But they look pretty straight forward. I think having 20 scrolls sitting there tempting me is not a good idea though, I might turn into a scroll myself!

By the way, Your before and after photos look suspiciously similar.

spatulaspoonandsaturday July 15, 2009 at 3:55 pm

Oh yum. Nothing is better on cold winter days than warm, freshly baked cinnamon buns. Too bad I'm too lazy to bake. Ever. Hahaha.

Kat.

Gustoso July 17, 2009 at 11:19 am

These look delicious. I need to get more adventurous in my cooking.

Melissa July 17, 2009 at 10:27 pm

These looks absolutely delicious.. They would taste the best straight from the oven!

Lovely website 🙂

Stephcookie July 18, 2009 at 9:17 am

Your spirals are so pretty and neat, I can never get them looking like that! Btw I'm passing on the Kreativ Blogger Award to you and your blog 🙂 You can check it out on my latest post

Jackie at PhamFatale.com July 18, 2009 at 10:45 am

Quick question: What is the difference between a Norwegian cinnamon bun and a regular cinnamon bun? Maybe no glaze??

Rilsta July 18, 2009 at 4:08 pm

Hi Belle: Yes, sweet = good! 🙂 I actually don't like things too sweet, but these buns needed the extra sugar from the icing.

Hi Conor: Hope you are well and truly recovered! The apple and walnut scroll sounds like a yummy first food out!

Hi Maria: If you look closely, the before and after pics are different, but only slightly. I'm not sure whether they were supposed to have grown much more, but the end result was still fine!

Hi spatulaspoonandsaturday (Kat): I didn't bake before starting this blog, but I have such a sweet tooth so it was good learning how to! You make heaps of great savoury recipes though!

Hi Gustoso: Thanks for stopping by! Getting more adventurous in cooking is all about giving it a go and practicing!

Hi Melissa: Thanks for your kind comment and stopping by! The buns did taste best nice and warm out of the oven!

Hi Stephcookie: Awww…thanks so much for the award! I will check it out.

Hi Jackie: Thanks for stopping by! I think the difference between these Norwegian buns and regular cinnamon buns is the texture. Regular cinnamon buns seem to be thicker and not as soft and fluffy.

Outside Oslo September 17, 2009 at 1:04 pm

Thanks for sharing! Growing up in a Norwegian family, I can attest to the fact that Norwegian baked goods can be wonderful. There's something so warm and soothing about the flavors: almond, cardamom, etc. I don't think I've ever had Norwegian cinnamon buns, but I like hearing that they're lighter and fluffier!

Rilsta September 20, 2009 at 9:25 pm

Hi Outside Oslo: Thanks for stopping by! I've never tried Norwegian food, besides these buns and they were yummy!

Frances February 28, 2013 at 10:16 pm

I am a Melbourne Girl as well and Saint Cinnamons used to be in the Daimaru shopping complex in the CBD. OMG These are the absolute best thing I have ever tasted. I used to work in Flinders Lane in the rag trade and walk samples to the Myer buying office, I would always drop in and pick up two boxes for the girls back at the agency. Those were the days. You have brought back memories for me and I will try out your recipe this weekend. Cheers ! From a Melbourne girl to another.