Kitchen Gadget: Double Egg Poacher

by April@MyFoodTrail on July 22, 2009

in Kitchen Gadgets

Kitchen gadgets are designed to make your life easier. While it might be a admirable skill to be able to poach eggs “naturally”, I have no qualms about using something that stops me wasting 5 eggs to try and get the perfect “naturally” poached egg!

I bought this double egg poacher from Peters of Kensington a while ago but they still sell something similar in a different colour.

Double egg poacher

All you need to do is fill a small saucepan with enough water to cover the egg poacher, rest the egg poacher on the bottom of the pan and crack an egg into the slot.

I should have popped the bubbles!

Once the egg white has cooked, lift the egg poacher from the saucepan and remove the egg from the slot. It is relatively easy to come out.

Hardly any white wastage

With this gadget, poached eggs are no longer something I only get to enjoy out! I love my poached eggs with hollandaise sauce on toast or if I am feeling decadent, I substitute the toast for a hash brown!

Ok, not the best looking poached egg but still yummy!

UPDATE: Unfortunately this double egg poacher became rusty over time so I had to throw it out. It’s good while it lasted but seems susceptible to rusting.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella July 23, 2009 at 9:35 am

Oh that is very cool how that works-I like it! I've always found poaching eggs a bit scary-silly I know 😛

Simon Leong July 23, 2009 at 10:41 am

cool. how much?

Maria@TheGourmetChallenge July 24, 2009 at 2:06 pm

Nifty little gadget. I usually use the old swirl the water trick, of it I'm exceptionally lazy I use a slotted spoon or laddle. Works a treat. Though this looks a lot more hands free"

Agnes July 26, 2009 at 2:35 pm

I am such a sucker for kitchen gadgets. If I didn't already have an egg poaching saucepan, I would definitely be interested in this one!

Rilsta July 28, 2009 at 6:44 pm

Hi Lorraine: Me too! That's why I use this gadget!

Hi Simon: This was the gadget I posted on your blog about. It was around the $10 mark, pretty reasonable!

Hi Maria: Yeah, you just crack the egg in and leave it til the whites cook. You are a lot more skillful in the kitchen than I am!

Hi Agnes: I was looking at the cool looking poaching saucepans, but this was cheaper so I got this one.

Cheap kitchen gadgets June 25, 2010 at 11:38 pm

I love my kitchen gadgets too, and am loathe to get rid of any of them. I know where that comes from….my mother 🙂

April @ My Food Trail July 6, 2010 at 10:55 am

Hi cheap kitchen gadgets: They tend to build up over time!