Prawn Dumplings at home

by April@MyFoodTrail on June 21, 2009

in Cooking, Ready made

Hubby and I love our prawn dumplings (har gao) as you can probably tell from my recent yum cha entries! However yum cha with only two of us usually ends up with us waddling out of the restaurant because we have eaten too much! It would be good if we could find some yum cha dishes we can make at home.

We have tried those Amoy brand frozen shrimp dumplings you can buy from Asian Grocery shops but they are so small and don’t taste very nice. The last time we were in Box Hill, we stopped by at a place on Station St called Emma Fresh & Frozen Food (576 Station St, Box Hill). I spotted some prawn dumplings in the freezer and bought a packet to try.

It costs $7.25 for a tray of 20. You might not be able to tell from the photo, but they are slightly smaller than the ones you would get at yum cha. There are no cooking instructions on the packaging but I steamed them for about 10 minutes. I put a layer of baking paper on my metal steamer so that the dumplings wouldn’t get stuck.

The filling had real prawn but was quite tasteless and had a gritty texture. There wasn’t much of it either – maybe slightly over a teaspoon inside each dumpling. There was way more skin than filling and while I usually don’t mind the translucent skin, this one was thick and on the chewy side.

Hubby and I were very disappointed with these prawn dumplings. If anyone has any suggestions (in Melbourne) as to where we can get yum cha quality prawn dumplings to make at home, please leave a comment. I would love to know!

delilah June 22, 2009 at 12:37 am

hey R,

maybe try the dim sum place along kingsway in glenny.
there's a hong kong dim sum/yum cha place that is next to urban burger and they sell frozen dim sum things and also have yum cha cafe style during the day.

never tried the prawn ones but the other things aren't too bad 🙂

Benny June 22, 2009 at 8:52 am

I tried the the hong kong dim sum "har gao" in Glen Waverly before. It's not half bad. I like their chicken pie the best.

I would recommend you trying their chicken pie and 'cha siu sou'. Just buy the pre-packed frozen ones and cook at home. easy.

Rilsta June 22, 2009 at 10:24 am

Hi Delilah: Thanks for the suggestion and the directions. I will definitely go check it out the next time I'm there!

Hi Benny: Ooh, two suggestions for the Hong Kong dim sum place! Thanks! My hubby likes chicken pie, so we will definitely try that.

Simon Leong June 22, 2009 at 10:57 am

perhaps try and make them at home as a challenge?

Maria@TheGourmetChallenge June 22, 2009 at 11:55 am

I agree with Simon! Make them yourself, that way you could have them anytime!

Rilsta June 24, 2009 at 9:22 am

Hi Simon & Maria: Hmm…. a prawn dumpling challenge! I'm not one for making something too involved and the skin looks quite delicate! I might have to give it a go though and will post when I get around to it!

Arale79 July 10, 2009 at 12:22 am

hiya,There is 2 other frozen dimsum place at boxhill, one is called hong kong dim sum and another is opposite boxhill townhall i think.

Rilsta July 10, 2009 at 4:32 pm

Hi Arale79: Thanks for commenting on my blog! I will try and find either one of those places the next time I am in Box Hill!

LGM March 18, 2010 at 7:02 pm

I found that my local "non-asian" butcher has started stocking decent quality dumplings. I haven't had occasion to buy them as yet, but I seem to be able to see complete prawns under the pastry.

Home prawn dumplings are quite simple to make. You need good quality prawns (or even better sea-scallops), give them a good dusting of seasoned corn flour. Use the freshest chinese garlic chives. Make sure that you discard the first and last wrapper as they are usually dry and yucky.

I make dumpling while watching tv. Its one of those things that you can do on auto-pilot.

April @ My Food Trail March 25, 2010 at 11:50 am

Hi LGM: Thanks for leaving a comment and your great tips!