Dining Out: Gold Leaf, Docklands

Shop CW F02, Level 1, 10-11 Star Circus
Waterfront City, Harbourtown, Docklands VIC

Cuisine: Chinese
BYO: Yes
Price (yum cha): Standard $4.80, Special $5.90, Deluxe $7, tea $1.50 per person
Parking: $5 all day parking at Harbourtown

I have heard good things about the Gold Leaf branch at Docklands and while I have been there for dinner once, I have never tried the yum cha. Mr SW suggested going there for lunch for an early session before he and my hubby went to watch the footy. Ms CT and I went shopping at Harbourtown after lunch.

The restaurant is very impressive with an upmarket decor and beautiful chandeliers. The food trolleys came very intermittently – a whole lot came at once and then nothing for 10 minutes. Service was good with waiters clearing your empty dishes almost immediately. The food though, was very average and in my opinion, not worth the price.

Pork dumpling (siu mai), standard $4.80

BBQ pork rice noodles (char siew cheong), special $5.90

Seafood combination dumpling, special $5.90

Pork spare ribs, special $5.90

Scallop dumpling, deluxe $7

Lotus leaf sticky rice (lor mai gai), deluxe $7

Stuffed eggplant (yong tao foo), deluxe $7

The best dish was the pork spare ribs, which were tender and very tasty. I also liked the melt in the mouth consistency of the char siew cheong, but two good dishes out of 15 is not enough for me to drive all the way to Docklands, pay for parking and pay more for the food than the eastern suburbs places.

Gold Leaf on Urbanspoon

whens-dinner101 June 17, 2009 at 12:24 pm

Hello! Thanks for the comment. The exhibition is being held in Canberra until August. You can buy the picture book (im pretty sure) over the net or in some book stores.

SK June 17, 2009 at 11:22 pm

Haven't had yum cha in ages and they all look so good. *drool* My favourite is zha liang. 🙂

Rilsta June 18, 2009 at 11:42 am

Hi whensdinner: Thanks for letting me know. Canberra is a bit far for me but I'll check out the book! 🙂

Hi SK: Yum cha photos always make me hungry too! What is zha liang?

SK June 18, 2009 at 12:45 pm

There's a picture in Wikipedia :

Very delicious. 🙂

Rilsta June 18, 2009 at 1:51 pm

Oh, ok, now I know what it is! The rice noodles with the chinese donut inside! I don't mind it but no-one else likes it so I never get the chance to eat it whenever we go to yum cha.

SK June 18, 2009 at 6:18 pm

Hehe . . well it's my fav. Always try to make sure I order it. BTW what camera do you use to take the pics?

Rilsta June 19, 2009 at 2:29 pm

Most of the photos on my blog are taken with my Olympus DSLR. I only got it a few months ago so I am still learning and practising! The other camera I use is a Panasonic compact point and shoot camera.

Benny June 22, 2009 at 8:56 am

I still think the best Gold Leaf is in Burwood Highway.
The one is docklands is good, but not as good. 🙂
Give it a try.

Rilsta June 22, 2009 at 10:16 am

Hi Benny: Thanks for commenting on my blog! I have been to the Gold Leaf in Burwood before, though not for a while. Totally agree with you that it is better than Docklands. There seems to be more variety too!

Faye October 8, 2009 at 11:46 am

Hey there,

Dropped by your blog and was surprised to find that its an S'porean's blog! 🙂

Love the food and all.
Was wondering if you can recommend any good yum cha places which aren't as rip off as Gold Leaf but decent quality.
My family's coming from SG for Christmas and boy if I don't knock their socks off with how wonderful Melbourne is plus awesome Chinese food I'll get arse-whipped with ten hour lectures from an elderly mother about how Australia is blah blah blah. 😛
Any suggestions?

Rilsta October 9, 2009 at 9:40 am

Hi Faye: Thanks for stopping by! I was born in Singapore but I have been in Melbourne for most of my life!

You didn't leave an email address or something so I can reply to you so hopefully you check back! Are you looking for somewhere in the city? I like Shark Fin Inn for yum cha. Send me an email if you have further questions!

petrenkov February 11, 2010 at 1:58 am

Rather cool blog you've got here. Thanks the author for it. I like such themes and everything connected to them. I definitely want to read more soon.

Best wishes