Lindt Stracciatella White Chocolate Balls

by April@MyFoodTrail on May 4, 2009

in Chocolates, Food Products

I’m not much of a white chocolate fan (nor dark chocolate for that matter) – it’s normally milk chocolate or no chocolate for me. However, I spotted this at the supermarket the other day and was sucked in by the claim that it “tastes like cookies and cream”. I do love all things cookies and cream so I bought a box.

The box is a nice baby blue colour and the balls themselves are also wrapped in baby blue… but that is where the niceness ends.

I was so excited to try them, thinking I might have found a new chocolate that tops my list. So much anticipation… it’s almost like opening a present! Look what I found…

My first thought was HUH?? Where are the cookies?? Ohhhh, you mean those black flecks are the cookies. You want to know the worst bit? Those black flecks are not even cookie crumbs, they are cocoa pieces! The balls could have redeemed themselves if they tasted good, but the cocoa pieces are a bit like pips where they hang around in your mouth and you have to spit them out.

I feel totally ripped off. How can Lindt put their name to something so disappointingly mediocre? And how can they falsely claim that they taste like cookies and cream? I don’t want to waste my calories eating them so it looks like I will have to use them in baking or something (or leave them out when people come over!).

Maria@TheGourmetChallenge May 5, 2009 at 5:44 pm

how disappointing. I havent tried these yet, but I dont think I will now. I’ll just stick to the red lindt balls…..yummm!

Rilsta May 7, 2009 at 9:54 am

The red Lindt balls are definitely better!

Anonymous May 21, 2009 at 1:08 am

are you all crazy. you must be from another planet. These are amazing. You all should be shot

Simon Leong May 23, 2009 at 2:14 pm

i haven’t tried these before or even seen them around. my favourites are the dark chocolate ones.

Anonymous October 20, 2009 at 8:56 am

Ohhh Man.
You can not be serious!
These are the best Lindt chocolates around! SOOOO Good. Everyone *needs* to try these!

Rilsta October 22, 2009 at 10:15 am

I'm not a fan of white chocolate and felt cheated that they called them cookies and cream, when in fact they were white chocolate with a few cocoa nibs.

Anonymous October 23, 2009 at 1:04 pm

I just picked these up a couple of hours ago and came online to find out more information about them and came across this. I just want to say that I personally think they are absolutely delicious! That picture you put up is set in such a way to make them look reall unappetising. Mine have many more chocolatey things in them. I'm a huge fan – I still like the regular milk chocolate ones the best though. It's too bad you didn't! Oh well, can't please 'em all!

Rilsta October 27, 2009 at 12:38 pm

Hi Anonymous: Maybe I just got a bad batch, but the photo of the inside has not been manipulated in any way – that was how little cocoa nibs there was inside!

Diana Kleszczynski November 8, 2009 at 5:40 am

Hi Rilsta,
The cocoa nibs are only in the outside shell, the inside is your typical Lindt truffle filling – smooth and delicious. I love white chocolate and I personally find these to be the best of the Lindt truffle balls. I just had one for the first time a few days ago and have been searching for more ever since. They're hard to find in Canada!
I do agree with your point, though, they shouldn't be marketed as cookies and cream.

Rilsta November 8, 2009 at 8:34 pm

Hi Diana: Thanks for the info about the cocoa nibs being in the shell and the inside being white chocolate. My gripe was more about them labelling it cookies & cream when it has no cookies!

Anonymous February 9, 2010 at 6:38 am

Apologies, but, stracciatella is not meant to be cookie crumbs and white chocolate at all!
Just search the origins of the flavour… It's actually an ice cream flavour of cream and chocolate pieces. It was never meant to have any cookies in it or whatever…
I tried those out and I must admit Lindt is not my favourite brand for purchasing white chocolate, but they aren't bad either – they're okay. These stracciatella balls are alright, too, but they make milk / dark chocolate a lot better.

Rilsta February 9, 2010 at 5:22 pm

Hi Anonymous: I never knew that about Stracciatella! It is misleading for Lindt to name it that, as well as try to pass it off as cookies and cream!

Xan June 7, 2010 at 9:01 pm

LoL.. I had no idea what these were.. was given one piece today and when I got home and open it I was like… Huh?!? What are those spots?? I didn't know Lindt Lindor balls had spots .. and came on to google about it and found this post.. Did not dare to even eat it till I'm certain the spots were the norm hahaha…

April @ My Food Trail June 8, 2010 at 4:43 pm

Hi Xan: Haha, glad you found out they are normal! 🙂 (though not that nice!)

BalBB June 19, 2010 at 5:30 am

I found this very delicious. I don't know what you guys are talking about. Sure they don't taste like cookies and cream, I was mad about that too. But I loved it. And lighten up with the calories.

April @ My Food Trail June 23, 2010 at 2:26 pm

Hi BalBB: Thanks for your input!

Spencer @ Moo-Lolly-Bar October 26, 2010 at 3:38 pm

Call me a sceptic but its difficult for me to go passed the Red or Green Lindt Balls.

April @ My Food Trail November 5, 2010 at 10:32 am

Hi Spencer: Yes, I would have to say the classic red milk chocolate Lindt balls are the best!

Kim December 1, 2011 at 6:31 am

I’m just curious, where were these marketed as cookies and cream? There is nothing on the package nor on the Lindt website that indicates these are intended to be cookies and cream flavored. In fact, on the package I have sitting right in front of me it says “white chocolate with cocoa slivers”.

April@MyFoodTrail December 9, 2011 at 2:23 pm

Perhaps they have changed the packaging because maybe others complained too, but on the package I bought, clearly in the top left corner it says “Tastes like cookies and cream”, which is why I bought it. If I have known it was white chocolate with cocoa nibs and didn’t taste anything like cookies and cream, I wouldn’t have bought it!

Kelsie April 13, 2012 at 2:29 am

Personally I think they taste more like cake batter than cookies and cream. I have never been a fan of this paticular brand of chocolates but these were pretty good!

April@MyFoodTrail April 17, 2012 at 9:41 am

It’s great how everyone’s tastes are different! I didn’t like these at all, but like all other Lindt chocolates, but you liked them! 🙂 Glad that you found one you thought were good!

BB November 9, 2015 at 4:53 pm

Tast like cake , cookies & cream, vanilla rich candy mummm muh good finger licking good

Alaina Boudreau January 23, 2013 at 11:44 am

First of all it’s not cookies and cream it’s called Stracciatella chocolate, it’s flavoured like a favourite Italian ice cream NOT your American cookies and cream ice cream. It does not contain pieces of cookie but dark chocolate nubs. So you were not ripped off at all, you should probably go grad yourself a hershey’s cookie and cream bar if you want that taste.

April@MyFoodTrail February 13, 2013 at 3:57 pm

My issue is with the fact it says in the top left corner of the packaging that it “tastes like cookies and cream”, which it doesn’t, so it’s misleading advertising.

wow December 15, 2013 at 5:37 pm

Amazing. I bought a box, shared it with collegues at work, everyone asked for a second piece, several collegues called them “worlds best chocolate”.
Taste like vanilla ice cream to me.
Cocoa nibs do it no favours.

Also try galaxy bar, cookie flavour. They have cookie pieces.